Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay if I keep this up for another year or two I may have to start calling this an annual event. I'm putting together a Palm Canyon Ride for Sunday Feb 25th.

Here are some past posts and links to info on this SoCal Epic

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=85246</>

<a href="http://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm">http://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm

http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/PalmSprings/index.htm

General Guidelines for thing about doing this ride:

This is a big freaking ride of 31 miles over some rugged terrain and you may end up out there all day. This ride really stresses cardio-endurance and while falling into an mid-intermediate level on the technical arena for the majority of the ride there are some hairy sections (The route we are going), mostly in the later half of the ride.

If you have never done an "epic", this may not be your best ride choice for your first one.

Here are a couple of SoCal trail routes that I have done that I think if you can do one of these rides you'll be okay to do this ride.

- You have started at the bottom of Noble, rode up the pavement and done Indian Truck Trail to Noble, did the Big Laguna Trail and then went down Noble.

- You have gone up Harding Truck Trail, over Santiago Peak, down Holy Jim and looped back to the Harding Truck Trail. (Thats harder climbing, but matches endurance drain)

- You have done the Cannell Plunge ride in Kernville.

For the Palm Canyon Vets here, please post some other rides you think that are a good test to see if someone in the "okay to do this ride".

While it is an open invite, I'm trying to avoid folks whose biggest "epics" (by thier standards) are rides like Santiago TT/Luge in the Santa Anas, Mission Trails in San Diego, or Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz thinking that since those are "epics" (in thier mind) then they are okay to do Palm Canyon.

You don't have to be a fast hammer king/queen to do Palm Canyon, but you need to have enough endurance/strength to potentailly be out on the trail all day. You really get out in the middle of no-where on this ride so this is not a ride to go "test your limits" for the first time as it can be a very bad place to find yourself in a crisis.

This is most likely going to be a big group ride (30 last year), so slow riders and lots of regroups is not what I'm worried about, it is someone jumping in way over their endurance level and ending up getting themselves hurt or people stuck out there after dark. (We are starting earlier this year)

It is going to be an awesome ride for those strong endurance/intermediate(+) riders that come along.

WHERE: The Lower Trailhead in Palm Springs by the Vons Shopping center.
DATE: Sunday Feb 25th
TIME: 7:00AM

This is an earlier start than previous events. Daylight has become an issue in the past so I want to gain an hour because missing the final sections of singletrack is a bummer.

Google Earth Shot of the meeting spot at the lower trailhead.

If you decide to do this ride here are some particular things you need to plan on bringing.

- More than 100oz of water - It is not the ride that runs you through the water it is time you spend out on the trail. Electrolytes along with the water is a mighty fine idea as well.

Cutting down on the amount of time spent changing flats will help ensure we have plenty of time to get in all of the trail at a comfortable/picture taking pace. I have seen as many as 18 flats with nine riders. At maybe 10 minutes each to change we had 3 hours of flat delays.
- Have some form of thorn resistance/protection. Slim,Stans, Tire Liners, whatever works for you but have something.
- CO2 in addition to a really pump is a good idea. When a flat does occur, this will spend up the process.
- Have a spare derailuer hanger. This place has a reputation for mechanicals and lossing a derailuer can really make for a miserable time.

Shuttling is the biggest logistic to work out for this ride.
The turn around time on a Sunday afternoon to drive from the lower to the upper trailhead and back is around 1 hr and 20 mins so I want to avoid that if at all possible. Here is the general shuttle goal/plan, depending on where you are coming from.

If any way far away visitors
- Since these folks will have a hell of a drive home after the ride, we are going plan on you guys not having to take a vehicle to the top period. So that after the ride and dinner you can roll easily get on the road.

Orange County/LA riders- You will most likely come into Palm Springs via the 10. As a group we want you to have your shuttles taken care amongst yourselves as one big group. In the past there have been several carloads coming in from this area, so we will coordinate. The idea is that after the ride and dinner. The OC/LA folks with vehicles at the bottom take the OC/LA folks back up to the upper trailhead and drop them off and then continue on Hwy 74 back towards OC/LA which is quicker than going back down to Palm Springs to the 10.

San Diego Riders.- The San Diego Riders are going to be going by the upper trailhead on their way to Palm Springs so the idea is to drop all of the passengers and bikes off at the upper trailhead on our way thier way to Palm Springs. This should free up enough space to shuttle the far away visitors and maybe some of the OC/LA riders as well. The idea is that we have enough vehicle space so that we can just jam up together on the way out of town after dinner and not have to retrieve a vehicle before hand.

This shuttle scheme has been somewhat of a crapshoot in the past so we can always do the drive before dinner if it does not pan out.

Start chiming in here and we will see how things develop.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
You had me at "Palm"

You had me at "Palm". I'm in if you'll have me. Not fast but tenacious, never complain, and never run out of water :thumbsup:

I've done this ride twice and it is by far the toughest ride I've ever done! The Cannell Plunge, which I've done 12 times, is a piece of cake compared to this. And no Tahoe ride I've done compares to it either. It's just rugged and unrelenting and with, I assume, little or no rain this year, there will probably be a two mile stretch of deep sand you will have to push your bike through. Both times it has been hot to dangerously hot and the "fast" group has finished in the dark while about half the folks took the last bail-out.

Here are the photos and comments from the '06 ride: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=165410 and Winston posted several videos.

Edit: and thanks for doing all the heavy lifting!

·
We're going down WHAT??
319 Posts
Sound like a blast!!

Bill, I am interested in going. I have heard a lot about this ride from Gary Fox and his friends. I just need to know when it is going to be scheduled so I can make accomodations (single dad and all...) I'll be ready to go with Stan's and extra food & water....! :thumbsup:

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
you guys know im in i got a sicker bike than last year too ..... rollin down with wherewolf this time. Might bring a couple of oroville riders along too

·
wawe member
892 Posts
mtbbill said:
For the Palm Canyon Vets here, please post some other rides you think that are a good test to see if someone in the "okay to do this ride".
If you've ever been trapped inside a refrigerator box with two fighting cats for more than 3 hours, you should be okay to do this ride. :p

·
Registered
490 Posts
I’m in, I’ve done this ride about four times, a little advice, bring some light leg and arm protection, the plants will tear though your skin like butter, and if there is a large group I would recommend brining Walky-talkies

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
I second that - anti-thorn long arm and leg protection is not optional at all, you have to have it.

On the flat situation: When I did this there were 4 flats all pinch flats so in addition to goop/liners if you are running tubes, give us a break and pump them up to 40lbs. All the goop and liners in the world won't help if you are running 25lbs. ( EDIT: I take that back; if you did have all the goop in the world, that would definately solve the pinch flat problem. By goop I mean slime/stans/etc )

This ride is so gnarly I actually brought a spare tire ( not tube ) but fortunately that didn't get used.

I'll try to be on this ride.

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dusthuffer said:
I second that - anti-thorn long arm and leg protection is not optional at all, you have to have it.

On the flat situation: When I did this there were 4 flats all pinch flats so in addition to goop/liners if you are running tubes, give us a break and pump them up to 40lbs. All the goop and liners in the world won't help if you are running 25lbs. ( EDIT: I take that back; if you did have all the goop in the world, that would definately solve the pinch flat problem. By goop I mean slime/stans/etc )

This ride is so gnarly I actually brought a spare tire ( not tube ) but fortunately that didn't get used.

I'll try to be on this ride.
I've come to think the way the pinch flats start is you get a slow leak from thorns. (Or in the case of Stans/Slime you loose enough pressure during the sealing process) Then when the pressure get low enough you pinch. I'll be squeezing my tires at every reqroup/break.

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jonsocal said:
I just need to know when it is going to be scheduled so I can make accomodations (single dad and all...)
You should really cut back on the drinking while online :D
mtbbill said:
WHERE: The Lower Trailhead in Palm Springs by the Vons Shopping center.
DATE: Sunday Feb 25th
TIME: 7:00AM

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
I had over 58 thorns in the front tire and 74 in the rear tire. (It's a good idea not to run over a cholla cactus)

I ran Specialized Air Lock tubes. Heavy but didn't change a tube.

Large groups doing this does in fact slow the whole mass down. What could have been a 5 hour grind was more like a 9.

Next...

·
5 x 5
263 Posts
Thorns and more thorns

Last time I did this ride, I collected 1,647,233 thorns in my tires, all but 27 of them in the front. Eventually I had enough thorns that I was rolling on them and no longer had to fix flats. Which was good, because by then I was already riding by the light of the moon - the batteries in my keychain flashlight having long since given up the ghost.

I am also permanently scarred about the arms and legs from cacti and cat's claw ripping me to shreds. I like the scars - they look like tiger stripes.

·
We're going down WHAT??
319 Posts
damn... am I man enough for this ride..?

You guys are making sound like I am going to need a weeks worth of provisions, solid rubber tires and a chain-mail bodysuit to complete this ride. Good gracious. I'll be sure to up all of my insurance plans while I am at it... Sheesh...:shocked:

·
Who's riding today?
1,432 Posts
I salute ya!

mtbbill said:
Okay if I keep this up for another year or two I may have to start calling this an annual event. I'm putting together a Palm Canyon Ride for Sunday Feb 25th.

Wow, what guts, an open invite on one of SoCals "wickedest" bike rides. :thumbsup:

I'll be watching the News on TV that evening to see how things turned out :D

Me, I'll ride some other unidentifiable "thorny trail" when I want to get ripped to schreds!

·
Registered
490 Posts
jonsocal said:
You guys are making sound like I am going to need a weeks worth of provisions, solid rubber tires and a chain-mail bodysuit to complete this ride. Good gracious. I'll be sure to up all of my insurance plans while I am at it... Sheesh...:shocked:
To protect you from the cholla I would recommend wearing this for the ride,

just don't eat any Bean Burritos.:nono:

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
jonsocal said:
Yes we're talking to YOU Jon!

Many people have DIED doing this heinous ride - better off just going to the Lamplighter for karaoke and picking up on drunk girls. - or heck bring a drunk girl!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.