Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels (2001), 28 hole paired spoke front and rear, that came off my Trek Fuel. I am wondering if anyone has ever ridden these on a rigid SS. Is this a bad idea, or will I be ok if I run big volume tires?

They have held up really well on my FS, and have never needed to be trued, I am just a little wary of the switch from FS to Rigid. I don't have the cash to buy new wheels, so it's either these or the beat up rim brake wheelset I have right now on the SS. Any thoughts?thanks. BTW I already have the Hayes brakes and all, just need to install them.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
Personally, I'm not keen on paired-spoke wheels for off-road use simply because the wider spacing between spokes offers the potential to invite sticks and trail debris into the wheel to a greater degree, at least in theory. However, in actual use I've not heard of anyone suffering from this problem.

I don't know why wheel strength would be compromised with paired-spoke wheels for XC use. If I had a set of paired-spoke wheels, I'd go for it.

--Sparty

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
1 cog frog said:
I have a pair of Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels (2001), 28 hole paired spoke front and rear, that came off my Trek Fuel. I am wondering if anyone has ever ridden these on a rigid SS. Is this a bad idea, or will I be ok if I run big volume tires?

They have held up really well on my FS, and have never needed to be trued, I am just a little wary of the switch from FS to Rigid. I don't have the cash to buy new wheels, so it's either these or the beat up rim brake wheelset I have right now on the SS. Any thoughts?thanks. BTW I already have the Hayes brakes and all, just need to install them.
I've ridden them on my Fuel (Satellites for rim brake actually, I think Satellites), and they are a bit uh flexy... you can sometimes hear the rim touch the brake pad... that said, why wouldn't they hold up for SS?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Rolf bontrager shimano

Guital2 said:
Who all manufactures xc paired rims...I know shimano has two lines....who else?
Rolf, bontrager, shimano make paired spoke wheels, I also thought I saw a pair of velocity paired spoke wheels for a road bike, looked like deep road v rims with different spoke holes. Bontrager now makes the paired spoke wheels cause they(trek) bought the rights to the rolf style paired spoke wheel, at least I think, thats how it is. All the paired spoke wheels now on trek lemond, bikes have the bontrager name now.
I saw a rolf vector pro broken, rim side wall busted open near the seam, or weld, on a cross bike at a race two years ago, maybe fatties will help.
Sweet ride terminaut, I am running I think the same old school shimano canti's on my geared Curtlo cross bike, great bike, the single speed/fixed cross bike is a cross check, might try fixed cross this year.
later

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I have a pair of Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels circa 2000 (28 rear/24 front) that has been used on FS / HT / SS / FS-SS, had the axle shifted for use with a Woodman disc adapter, etc... and the only thing that has been replaced is the freehub body. Like Sparty said, they are more prone to picking up trail debris, but so far the spokes have been stronger than the twigs...

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I have been using a set of Rolf Dolomite Disc wheels on my FS geary (soon to be a 1x8), and they have been bombproof. They have been riden pretty hard (I am 190 lbs) for the last 4 years, and have NEVER been trued! I did have to replace the freehub with a Bontrager unit last year, but that seems to be common with the Dolomites. I am definately sold on the paired spoke design (I have Rolf Sestrieres as road wheels for my Cross bike, and Rolf Propels on a Ti hardtail). After saying all of that, I have not tried them on a SS, but I would say go for it! I wouldn't try a set of Propel wheels on a SS, as they are very light and flexy, but the Dolomites should be fine, unless you are a Clydesdale! Several peaople have mentioned flexing of the Satellite wheels, but I the Dolomites are better, stiffer wheels.

I think the only paired spoke MTB wheels are the Shimanos. Velocity may have a paired spoke rim, but I am not sure. There are many companies making paired spoke Road wheels: Shimano, Rolf, Bontrager, even Performance has a set of house brand paired spoke wheels!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shimano 959

I beat the crap out of a pair of Shimano 959 wheels on a singlespeed for 3 years. Only trued them once when a stick the size of a baseball bat broke a spoke. Rode 10 more miles that day on only 15 spokes in the front wheel. The frame ended up breaking before the wheels. The same wheels are now on a FS gearie rig, still getting abused.
Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.