Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for an appropriate forum to ask what anyone thinks about my website that I just put up. Painting is my first love (not including my wife...;) ), then my 29'er on rocky east coast terrain comes in at #2. I just want a general impression on what some of you think about the site. Any suggestions, praise or criticism is appreciated. Thanks.

www.sethdarnall.com

·
Registered
745 Posts
I like the setup of the site, but it almost seemed like a dime a dozen artist site. but, if it's a work in progress thing, I'm sure that'll be taken care of. Also, are you planning on selling your work? Do you plan on having shows? Networking, etc? Maybe having an artist's statement and a resume (if you've done any showing, selling, etc.)

Overall, though, I like it. both your work and what direction you're going with the site.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good stuff - I have a respect for people with creative talent. Your work seems to have focus and an overall direction.

However, since I have no creative talent I may not be the best person frm which to get an opinion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swthrtsuzy said:
I like the setup of the site, but it almost seemed like a dime a dozen artist site. but, if it's a work in progress thing, I'm sure that'll be taken care of. Also, are you planning on selling your work? Do you plan on having shows? Networking, etc? Maybe having an artist's statement and a resume (if you've done any showing, selling, etc.)

Overall, though, I like it. both your work and what direction you're going with the site.
The site is meant to be straightforward so I guess it may seem standard. It is a work in progress though. My statement is included in the galleries and the "about me" page. My resume is being worked on but until recently I have kept everything to myself as I am a little self conscious of putting anything on display for criticism. I figured though, that I cannot grow as an artist without the bumps and bruises of being in a public forum. I am glad you like them. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ride-beer-rinse-repeat said:
Good stuff - I have a respect for people with creative talent. Your work seems to have focus and an overall direction.

However, since I have no creative talent I may not be the best person frm which to get an opinion.
Everyone has an opinion and every opinion is just as valid as the next guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
745 Posts
sdarnall237 said:
The site is meant to be straightforward so I guess it may seem standard. It is a work in progress though. My statement is included in the galleries and the "about me" page. My resume is being worked on but until recently I have kept everything to myself as I am a little self conscious of putting anything on display for criticism. I figured though, that I cannot grow as an artist without the bumps and bruises of being in a public forum. I am glad you like them. Thanks for the response!
Yep, you're right. I missed it. I tend to ignore text when I see pretty colors. :p As for the resume, don't look at it like a chance for criticism. Look at it as a chance to show off what you've accomplished. It'll also lend your work credibility, as I'm sure you know how snobby the artworld can really be. I have a friend who is a professional (starving) artist, and I'm always amazed at the hoops she has to jump through to sell her work. Good luck with your website. And who cares if some chick who can't even draw stick figures thinks it's a bit standard? The work speaks for itself and that's the whole point of the site anyway, so I think you're quite on the right track. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I actually love the paintings, and the site. It is not over cluttered and flows nice. Are you planning on selling your work?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
moralleper said:
I actually love the paintings, and the site. It is not over cluttered and flows nice. Are you planning on selling your work?
I am. As soon as I can figure on a good way to price them. Glad you like them.:D

·
And I don't mean the band
203 Posts
My first impression, the paintings remind me of my fluid dynamics classes :crazy:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: For being creative, I was tought painting by my grandmother, old style though of course.

I ended up combining my talents, I am a CAD designer now:p

Keep it up! Ever thought about combining MTBs with painting? Slap some paint on the tires, create a gnar image and I'm sure people here would be lining up for some real original artwork.....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VanHalen said:
My first impression, the paintings remind me of my fluid dynamics classes :crazy:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: For being creative, I was tought painting by my grandmother, old style though of course.

I ended up combining my talents, I am a CAD designer now:p

Keep it up! Ever thought about combining MTBs with painting? Slap some paint on the tires, create a gnar image and I'm sure people here would be lining up for some real original artwork.....
I've thought about doing that. Don't want to get paint on my panaracer's though. Mud's O.K.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Honest opinion and .02.

I think your work out shines your site. The flash galleries and flash splash page are slow. I think you'd be better off using Wordpress(free) as a platform to build and maintain your site. There are plenty of themes that you can choose from, some even designed with showcasing artists work and photographers in mind. It takes too many clicks to see your wonderful art – thus the site doesn't function as well as it could for showcasing your art.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want more criticism etc – it's what I do for a living.

·
Rip Van Winkle
310 Posts
Nice stuff. If the wife understood art I might get away with it. Right now explaining $250 for cranks is hard enough.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Pretty cool, i like the textures of the "intuition" set.........and I'm digging the redheads in the other set. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts