Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and a friend were wondering if this would be a good idea, we are talking about taking white nailpolish and painting our hubs white, we know that u have to keep the stuff away from the bearings and all that stuff but other than that is there anything else we should worry about? also what type of paint if u have any suggestions over nail polish

ps. this will all be painted by hand

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
(im the other friend)

should we have the hubs de laced off the rim, or just work around it? also would a clearcoat be a good idea?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
KevinM[Freerider] said:
should we have the hubs de laced off the rim, or just work around it? also would a clearcoat be a good idea?
I did it before I built the wheels. Much easier than trying to paint a hub in a wheel.

I lightly sanded the hub shell with a red Scotchbrite metal finishing pad.

Masked the axle ends and freehub body with tape.

Degreased the hub shell with alcohol.

Applied 2-3 VERY light coats of primer, ~30 mins between coats and let dry overnight.

Applied 4-5 VERY light coats of the color paint (epoxy or engine block paints work great), 30-60 mins between coats. Removed the masking the next day.

Let the paint cure/harden for 4-6 weeks before I built the wheels.

Did a pair of rims at the same time. They are holding up fine with just a few scratches in 1.5 years.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shiggy said:
I did it before I built the wheels. Much easier than trying to paint a hub in a wheel.

I lightly sanded the hub shell with a red Scotchbrite metal finishing pad.

Masked the axle ends and freehub body with tape.

Degreased the hub shell with alcohol.

Applied 2-3 VERY light coats of primer, ~30 mins between coats and let dry overnight.

Applied 4-5 VERY light coats of the color paint (epoxy or engine block paints work great), 30-60 mins between coats. Removed the masking the next day.

Let the paint cure/harden for 4-6 weeks before I built the wheels.

Did a pair of rims at the same time. They are holding up fine with just a few scratches in 1.5 years.
so basically if i was to do it while the wheel was build i would just have to lightly sand and degrease the surface of the hub, and is primer nessesary becasue i think im gonna use nailpolish

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
4-6 weeks?

Is that entirely neccessary??

(in advance, apologies for questioning the mighty shiggy)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
urbanfreerider666 said:
so basically if i was to do it while the wheel was build i would just have to lightly sand and degrease the surface of the hub, and is primer nessesary becasue i think im gonna use nailpolish
Do it the way you want. This is just the way I painted mine and it has been fairly durable.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shiggy said:
Do it the way you want. This is just the way I painted mine and it has been fairly durable.
ur idea sounds great but i just dont have the time to do that, i should have put it in a better way, would doing the way i said be durable?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wouldnt do what?? i mentioned 3 things in there. :rolleyes: post-rushers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
painted them today, urbanFR666 painted his laced to his rim, i took mine off the rim, it was so much easier. we used anti rust exterior enemal paint, satan white. worked pretty good. ill have pics up soon, and more pics when i build the rim tonight.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
KevinM[Freerider] said:
painted them today, urbanFR666 painted his laced to his rim, i took mine off the rim, it was so much easier. we used anti rust exterior enemal paint, satan white. worked pretty good. ill have pics up soon, and more pics when i build the rim tonight.
No nail polish? :p

I'm interested in seeing the pics when you post them, nice to hear it turned out well though.:)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.