Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

im waiting for my frame and shock to get to me (guerrilla gravity Megatrail!) and am getting suuuuper bored. I’m also surrounded with so many damn components than all I can think about is this build.
Well, I’m starting to dig deep into of the minutiae of this build.
Has anyone painted their pedal pins? I have a set of OneUp aluminum pedals waiting to be ridden. I’d like the pins to be DVO green as a small accent. Any recommendations on how to best do this? My friends and I were discussing using nail polish.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,924 Posts
won't last.

I've had some that started out with an ano finish of one kind or another, and it always rubs off, leaving you silver pins eventually. paint or nail polish or whatever wouldn't last even as long as ano.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
won't last.

I've had some that started out with an ano finish of one kind or another, and it always rubs off, leaving you silver pins eventually. paint or nail polish or whatever wouldn't last even as long as ano.
damn.The ones on there right now are black; do you think the same will happen with these? I know this is kind of ridiculous, but I’ve put an awful lot into this build and want it to be as perfectly “mine” as possible

·
since 4/10/2009
31,924 Posts
damn.The ones on there right now are black; do you think the same will happen with these? I know this is kind of ridiculous, but I’ve put an awful lot into this build and want it to be as perfectly “mine” as possible
yep, though black might last longer than colors.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Howdy!

im waiting for my frame and shock to get to me (guerrilla gravity Megatrail!) and am getting suuuuper bored. I’m also surrounded with so many damn components than all I can think about is this build.
Well, I’m starting to dig deep into of the minutiae of this build.
Has anyone painted their pedal pins? I have a set of OneUp aluminum pedals waiting to be ridden. I’d like the pins to be DVO green as a small accent. Any recommendations on how to best do this? My friends and I were discussing using nail polish.
don't bother. Anything you do will wear off fairly quick. Also, It's likely you'll be replacing the pins in 6 months to a year. They do wear. While they seem to be ok, when you put the new ones in, you are shocked at the grip you now have

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Is this one of those threads where someone insists on doing something silly, everyone refuses to validate that plan, and OP does it anyways? Don't waste your time trying to talk him out of it. OP wants to waste time turning the bike into a fashion accessory rather than riding it (you can't see the pins if your feet are on the pedals), and there's no stopping a person who's dead set on a foolish plan like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this one of those threads where someone insists on doing something silly, everyone refuses to validate that plan, and OP does it anyways? Don't waste your time trying to talk him out of it. OP wants to waste time turning the bike into a fashion accessory rather than riding it (you can't see the pins if your feet are on the pedals), and there's no stopping a person who's dead set on a foolish plan like that.
Yeesh! So early for darts like that! It’s def not one of those threads; you don’t know me enough to understand, which is fine. I want this bike to be as nice as I can get it, although practicality will almost always win out. It’s going to have a bunch of high end stuff, yes, but only because high end stuff can take more of a beating than cheap s**t. A weekend in fruita is already in the works this month and this bike will see many foolish sends at trestle this year lol. I treat my stuff with respect. But respecting a bike is treating it like the engineers, and builders intended...with plenty of reckless abandon.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,924 Posts
Yeesh! So early for darts like that! It’s def not one of those threads; you don’t know me enough to understand, which is fine. I want this bike to be as nice as I can get it, although practicality will almost always win out. It’s going to have a bunch of high end stuff, yes, but only because high end stuff can take more of a beating than cheap s**t. A weekend in fruita is already in the works this month and this bike will see many foolish sends at trestle this year lol. I treat my stuff with respect. But respecting a bike is treating it like the engineers, and builders intended...with plenty of reckless abandon.
nah, he wasn't making any digs at you personally. what he described happens here A LOT. It's actually pretty obscene how often someone comes in here and asks about doing something, folks recommend against it for many practical reasons, and then OP does it anyway. Oftentimes, there are legit safety reasons NOT to do whatever thing they're asking. sometimes the reasons are economic. other times, it's just unnecessary cosmetic silliness.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do what you like Triggerhappy. The "experts" on here don't care it's your bike, your time and your happiness.
Do what you want....

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
nah, he wasn't making any digs at you personally. what he described happens here A LOT. It's actually pretty obscene how often someone comes in here and asks about doing something, folks recommend against it for many practical reasons, and then OP does it anyway. Oftentimes, there are legit safety reasons NOT to do whatever thing they're asking. sometimes the reasons are economic. other times, it's just unnecessary cosmetic silliness.
this! sorry, @TRIGGERhappy , but I have been reading forums like this for an embarrassingly long time and this happens a lot. people with silly and sometimes dangerous ideas start threads asking "should I do ___?" and then insist on doing exactly the opposite of what everyone tells them would be a the prudent choice. forgive me if I thought you're one of THOSE people, but you seem pretty hell-bent on your idea. it can't really hurt to "paint" your pedal pins, but it just seems like a frivolous waste of time. if you want colorful pedals, buy pedals with bodies that are already that color and just leave the pins black/silver because they'll just get broken and worn down if you ride the bike enough.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts