Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be painting my 2013 Mukluk and have a couple questions. What headset does this bike take and does anyone know how the headtube badge is attached?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great. Thanks guys.

·
1,711 Posts
You should be able to go to any hardware store as well and get some double backed foam tape to re-attach it. If you are lucky you can use a blowdryer and peel it off with adhesive being good yet, but most likely it will be dry.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
If you go with new tape, try 3M exterior mounting tape. It's grey-colored, rubber-foamy stuff that's about 2mm thick. I've used it to mount head badges on three refinished bikes over the last several years. Works great and is available in most hardware shops.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question. Does anyone know if this frame is painted or powder coated from the factory?

·
dumb ass
330 Posts
powdercoat it

:thumbsup:

I changed the color on my mukluk to candy apple red powdercoat.
orginal blue was a ***** to remove so I let the pc guy do it. prolly was pc not wet paint. left the headbadge off.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:thumbsup:

I changed the color on my mukluk to candy apple red powdercoat.
orginal blue was a ***** to remove so I let the pc guy do it. prolly was pc not wet paint. left the headbadge off.
You weren't concerned about powder coating an aluminum frame? I was considering going that route but I've read that re-heating the aluminum after the factory artificial aging process could cause weakening of the frame. Have you had any issues?
I emailed Cycle Art to see if they did powder coating and this was their response:

"Aluminum frame builders use heat treatment after welding to achieve the optimum strength, rigidity and crack resistance. The process varies with alloy and its intended application. While most heat treating of aluminum occurs near 1000 degrees F, the final process is "Artificial aging" in the 200 to 350F degree range for a specified length of time and with controlled gradual cooling. Powder coating requires baking in this same temperature range with less controlled cooling. During original manufacture this is taken in to account, so powder coat baking can be final heat treatment. Refinishing presumably extends the process beyond the intended specification and adds other variables.

High quality bicycle frames are made of 6000 and 7000 series alloys. Of the many aluminum alloys, these are most affected by extended artificial aging. It's possible that very overbuilt frames of lower quality alloys are less affected.

So while some aluminum bike frames are powder coated by the factory, heating them again in a second bake cycle for refinishing is not something CyclArt will do."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts