Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of paint or having my frame painted. I have a 2013 Giant Trance fully upgraded but have the original factory painted frame. A little nervous to paint it if it comes out shitty. I’m a everyday rider and don’t want a shitty painted diy job done. Has anyone ever brought their frames to be painted or have painted many frames yourself? What would you recommend

·
Registered
841 Posts
My local powder coat place does bike frames for a flat fee, I think $150. Just drop it off and pick it up. I don't think you even have to take the stickers off.

I have also painted many frames myself. For me there's nothing wrong with spraypaint. All paint is temporary on a BMX or MTB, anyway.

·
furker
914 Posts
You will never recoup what you spend to paint a bike with increased bike value, so it has to be a labor of love to paint it yourself (or even to pay to have it painted). What is bad on the paint now?

Are you thinking of trying to replicate one of the factory 2 tone paint schemes? Or are you going for 1 color + stickers? Are the factory stickers under the clear coat? I'd start by trying to locate factory stickers if they are available.

Doing it yourself, the prep work and the finishing work will take you way more time than actually spraying.

Rule of Thumb #1 -- When you think you are about done with the prep work, you're actually only half way done with prep.
Rule of Thumb #2 -- When you think you are about done with wet sanding and polishing the paint after spraying, you're actually only half way done with wet sanding and polishing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're considering DIY, you should check out the Spray.Bike website.
Have you sprayed any of tou
You will never recoup what you spend to paint a bike with increased bike value, so it has to be a labor of love to paint it yourself (or even to pay to have it painted). What is bad on the paint now?

Are you thinking of trying to replicate one of the factory 2 tone paint schemes? Or are you going for 1 color + stickers? Are the factory stickers under the clear coat? I'd start by trying to locate factory stickers if they are available.

Doing it yourself, the prep work and the finishing work will take you way more time than actually spraying.

Rule of Thumb #1 -- When you think you are about done with the prep work, you're actually only half way done with prep.
Rule of Thumb #2 -- When you think you are about done with wet sanding and polishing the paint after spraying, you're actually only half way done with wet sanding and polishing.
Thinking one color with factory stickers. It’s an older big color scheme. I’ll never sell it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did a diy paint job
First sand paint smooth with 800 grit to finish it off make sure u sand the decals off the bike

Do the primer

scuff the primer with 1000 or 1200 grit

do other coats

get a 2k clear coat do 1 coat sand it flat with 1200+ grit sand paper then do 1 last finishing coat.

this is how mine turned out
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Bicycle Tire Wheel Plant Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Vertebrate Green Purple Grass Plant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts