Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My friend was wondering about painting his fork. He wanted to get his manitou static stance painted white. He was thinking about bringing it to an auto body car shop thing. Is there any other ways to do it like at his house? I thought there might be some kind of spraypaint for cars or something but dont know much aout it. I think it would also be cool for me to do sometime in the future.

If anyone has done this post up some pics and give some info please.

thanks alot.:cool:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
take apart the fork. remove all seals.. clean/degrease completely. scuff lowers with a scotchbrite pad. plug the holes and paint. firts couple coats of paint should be light and the original black should show through a bit. after that put the coats on just a bit heavier. let it become semi dry between coats (read the paint can for instructions) got to home depot and look through their spray paints. look for one that is described as *tough* or outdoor paint so it holds up better.

ive painted a **** ton of stuff with just spray paint. it takes some practice but can turn out quite well. get some scrap stuff to practive on before you do the lowers.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
ontario_bike said:
ok thanks, ill let him know about this

and snaky, do you think manitou would have white lowers that could be ordered? i'll have to look into that for him.
Why not? Just call them up and see what they have in stock. If they don't, all he's left with is painting. He can always order up some stickers for the new fork as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
never leave the original paint on it, if you repaint. There is something called airplane paint stripper, use that. Then if your not cheap buy something called montana spray paint, or belton. Its high quality paint used for graffiti.

Montana
http://www.mtncolors.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b6b1f439811490fbb5349b785a0eae367e69dc1.e3eTa3aSaxmTe34MaheSb34Naxr0n6jAmljGr5XDqQLvpAe?sc=2&category=3
hardcore 400ml has many many colors

Belton
http://www.artprimo.com/belton_molotow_spray_paint.php

also good paint. Or you can go to a paint store and buy kilz high gloss white primer. Dont use krylon, its like painting with piss.:nono: Then paint away, and you can use a clean cote to finish it off.:)

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
gigatech said:
never leave the original paint on it, if you repaint. There is something called airplane paint stripper, use that. Then if your not cheap buy something called montana spray paint, or belton. Its high quality paint used for graffiti.

Montana
http://www.mtncolors.com/s.nl;jsessionid=ac112b6b1f439811490fbb5349b785a0eae367e69dc1.e3eTa3aSaxmTe34MaheSb34Naxr0n6jAmljGr5XDqQLvpAe?sc=2&category=3
hardcore 400ml has many many colors

Belton
http://www.artprimo.com/belton_molotow_spray_paint.php

also good paint. Or you can go to a paint store and buy kilz high gloss white primer. Dont use krylon, its like painting with piss.:nono: Then paint away, and you can use a clean cote to finish it off.:)
that's one of the coolest sites I've seen in awhile... wanna pick up a few things there...

·
Registered
86 Posts
ok im going to post a how to from a graffiti forum i belong to, I have to spell check everything, and then upload the pics. Seems graffiti artists these days cant type, or spell.

ok here it is

all right first get 2 cans that are almost empty to more then half full
its better when there the same brand, as they mix better.

Put the one that you want to receive paint in the freezer and put the one thats the donor in almost boiling water.
While your waiting look for a regular ball point pen and take out the straw with the ink in it.
Clean it out as much as possible then cut it about an inch long

After that cut the ends so that it looks like the bottom of a fat cap ( its a cap thats sprays big,dont worry)

Put the straw in both of them, then put the hot can on the bottom and the cold on top.Just push down. Youll here a whooshing sound. That's the paint from the bottom can going to the top.

Heres the end result

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
gigatech said:
never leave the original paint on it, if you repaint. There is something called airplane paint stripper, use that.
called Bix Tuff Job paint stripper. Be careful with this stuff though, it's crazy strong and will do a number on your skin and eyes if you aren't.

Frankly, you can etch the original paint and paint over it. For rattle can jobs, Ive used several primer coats then used appliance paint as it's tough as nails (for spray paint, that is), then hit it with 2-3 coats of clearcoat and you are money!

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
namaSSte said:
called Bix Tuff Job paint stripper. Be careful with this stuff though, it's crazy strong and will do a number on your skin and eyes if you aren't.

Frankly, you can etch the original paint and paint over it. For rattle can jobs, Ive used several primer coats then used appliance paint as it's tough as nails (for spray paint, that is), then hit it with 2-3 coats of clearcoat and you are money!
I wonder how that stuff is with Magnesium though, since we are talking fork lowers... think it would pit the magnesium too much or something? I really have no clue... but in most cases, I've personally just sanded the factory paint, then primered and painted...

·
Registered
86 Posts
you could always thin it out with water, just so it isn't as strong. but it does burn, I was scraping it off and some of the stuff got on my arm. The only reason i noticed it was because it started to burn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.