Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So with all the threads aournd here about painting forks i decided to expiriment. i dug out an old drop off III from the closet and went at it.

Here is what i used:

1 Can of Grey Primer
1 Can of baby blue rattle can spray paint (I got some that was rust proof.. why not?!)
1 Can of spray clear coat
1 Roll of Painters tape

Total of $23.00

First i popped the seals up and taped off the steer tube, stanchions, crown etc.

I LIGHTLY sand the black paint with fine grit sandpaper just until the paint was scuffed all over. I then cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol.

I gave it a light coat of grey primer let it dry

I then proceeded to give the lowers a light coat. I let each coat dry and then lightly sanded them again (just enough to scuff it and smooth out and blobs). Then i sprayed the baby blue paint on again.

I repeated this process a few times (until i liked the look). Then once it was completely cured i gave it three coats of clear coat. no sanding this time.

The clear coat is curing right now. Here are some early edition pics. Once its all done and finished ill post some more. So far it doenst look bad at all. I would stay clear of the 1$ Cans of paint. i know the more expensive stuff takes a lot longer to dry but its alot smoother.

The most important thing i found was to be patient. Coat it and sand it smooth then coat it again. repeat this until it looks money. The clear coat really helped the blue color POP!

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i was actually surprised how well it looks. Its too bad that the fork is garbage. Im gonna let it cure 100% and ride it on my old hardtail to see how it lasts. if it works out well after a few rides around town and thru some dirt i might end up painting my Travis triple.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will im gonna let it dry 100% tonight. tomorrow after work i will install on my AM rig for a few days and get some pics up, also ill let you know how the paint holds up after a few rides.

·
Registered
458 Posts
hells yeah dude, I did the exact same thing to my Weyless 67 last year, sand, prime, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, clear coat, clear, clear.

easy little after work project and turned out money!!!!!!!!!

oh I almost forgot

let the coats dry compleatly between coats!!!!!!! it turns out allot more durable

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KomodoRider said:
hells yeah dude, I did the exact same thing to my Weyless 67 last year, sand, prime, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, clear coat, clear, clear.

easy little after work project and turned out money!!!!!!!!!

oh I almost forgot

let the coats dry compleatly between coats!!!!!!! it turns out allot more durable
yea for sure... i got the rattle can paint that takes 2-3 hours to cure. so i just sprayed and watched a movie, then sanded sprayed and went for a bike ride, then did it againt. Like i said before the hardest part is waiting. patience is not my strong point.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,106 Posts
dude word of advice. let it dry longer thna u think. even though u have been really good with letting the paint cure. try and let it cure in some heat. i let my frame cure for a good 2 or 3 days.and then turns out i didnt let it cure enough. id let it sit for a week or so no joke. it sounds stupid but trust me

·
Stand back
4,208 Posts
Unless it's super humid and/ or cold, a few hours between THIN coats of paint should be plenty to let it dry. You'll know if you're sanding it in between coats if it's too wet - not quite dry paint does not sand smoothly.
To the OP - good work, nice to see someone not afraid to do it themselves.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all i did to the fork was pop the seals up and tape them to crown. then i taped off everything else besides the lowers. thin coats dried well enough. i had my garage at 75 degrees while doing this. ill post some more pics ina few.

edit: i added some purple specialized decals to the lowers to add a little extra. then i sprayed another layer of clear coat over it. once its dry ill post it.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its done and looks pretty damn awesome. however my camera crapped out. im picking up a new one tomorrow. so hold tight! pics will be up tomorrow. HAPPY 4th

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here are some pcitures after i rode about 18k on it today.. The reason i used specialized decals it simply because they were di-cuts, purple, and i had them lying around. The paint held up in the mud and rain quite well.

Overall i think it came out very well. I am debating on painting my Travis Lime Green. After it cured all the way it looked even better than it did while it was drying. What do you guys think?!?!

Now go paint your forks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.