Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So According to Specialized, if you paint/powder coat your frame, your warranty is void, unless it is done in one particular shop in Portland. Has this stopped any of you outside of Portland, who wanted a new loook and didn't want to ship their frame, from painting/PCing?

If I can be sure that my local shop will use a process that will not compromise the integrity of my aluminum frame, should I take the risk. I'm thinking about doing this on my commuter bike, so it won't go through the rigors of MTBing.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Dgtlbliss said:
So According to Specialized, if you paint/powder coat your frame, your warranty is void, unless it is done in one particular shop in Portland. Has this stopped any of you outside of Portland, who wanted a new loook and didn't want to ship their frame, from painting/PCing?

If I can be sure that my local shop will use a process that will not compromise the integrity of my aluminum frame, should I take the risk. I'm thinking about doing this on my commuter bike, so it won't go through the rigors of MTBing.
I don't think that the reason Specialized voids the warranty is because there should be a specific way to paint a frame, but more likely that when you paint a frame you could use it to hide stuff that went bad.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
I don't think that the reason Specialized voids the warranty is because there should be a specific way to paint a frame, but more likely that when you paint a frame you could use it to hide stuff that went bad.
That's exactly why....

·
lookin' for a hill
357 Posts
i've painted frames and don't mind the warranty issues.
they do it cause they can, to prevent hiding things like previously mentioned, and having the original paintjob allows them to recognize a bike by year without checking a serial number.
Yes, it's bullsh*t that you can't paint your frame, but someone must have pulled a fast one at some point... I've seen worse things in the shop happen in the name of warranty, though.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Considering powercoating involves heat it doesn't surprise me they will void your warranty unless you use their approved shop. Yeti is the same way and I'm sure others are too.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Rykoh said:
What do you use to protect the bare aluminum from corrosion?
It's alum. what corrosion? There are many products available for alum. you can use if you want protection. In the past, on frames I have stripped I just polished it every month or so and it stayed shiny.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
larlev said:
It's alum. what corrosion? There are many products available for alum. you can use if you want protection. In the past, on frames I have stripped I just polished it every month or so and it stayed shiny.
well if aluminium is exposed to a lot of salt( ONtario uses a lot on their roads in the winter and it obviously goes into the fields etc...) then it will oxidize and start to pit the material.
Even clearcoating it doesn't stop it over there. I had a brand new car out there wit aluminium factory wheels, clearcoated, within 2 years i had to get them replaced due to pitting starting UNDER the clearcoat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just had my Bighit frame powdercoated by Class Act Paint and Powdercoating (Portland, OR) and I couldn't be more pleased with the result.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you dont mind me asking.....how much did that run you??...I looked at there website for rates and couldnt find any....looking to repaint my enduro but I do not want to void my warranty.....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Painted it myself with Napa Crossfire urethanes. To heck with the warranty, I want style !

I purchased some Specialized decals from Ebay, but no pictures yet. Speccy won't sell the decals either for the same reasons.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
rsvrjimbo02 said:
Painted it myself with Napa Crossfire urethanes. To heck with the warranty, I want style !

I purchased some Specialized decals from Ebay, but no pictures yet. Speccy won't sell the decals either for the same reasons.
:rolleyes:
jeez i repainted a rocky mountain frame, called them up, told them i repainted the bike and sent me a complete set of decals for the bike( rocky flow) for nothing.

BTW beautiful paint work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts