Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
WTF
292 Posts
Not chemically. You dont need to strip all the paint to repaint. Sand smooth the scratched/chipped/nasty areas and paint.

Be extremely careful not to cut into the fibers. If you want to put in mucho hours, you can sand off all the paint and clear laquer the frame, nude carbon is sexy...

You can use chemicals on the metal parts, just dont let is get on the carbon.

Idea, polish the aluminum metal parts of the frame and leave carbon nude and clear the whole thing, the contrast would be nuts.....

Do it, post pics please

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spartan034 said:
Not chemically. You dont need to strip all the paint to repaint. Sand smooth the scratched/chipped/nasty areas and paint.

Be extremely careful not to cut into the fibers. If you want to put in mucho hours, you can sand off all the paint and clear laquer the frame, nude carbon is sexy...

You can use chemicals on the metal parts, just dont let is get on the carbon.

Idea, polish the aluminum metal parts of the frame and leave carbon nude and clear the whole thing, the contrast would be nuts.....

Do it, post pics please
What about the areas where the carbon and aluminum blend. Someone suggested putting vinyl around the areas where it blends so it would go from raw aluminum to pure carbon. So to get the mongoose and stuff off the carbon just sand it? and do I need to keep it wet and use 200 then 400 or would you suggest something different?

·
WTF
292 Posts
wet sand, start with 400, it will take time but it is better to go slow than too fast.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with vinyl, but taping off what you dont want to get sanded will work fine

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
In the aviation industry plastic media is always used on composite parts. I'm in the industry.If you can't find a competent plastic media operator who has stripped composite parts then use successive coats of a high build primer to fill your chips. Don't try and sand off existing paint,especially on round tubes.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Interesting and news to me. I worked for the Navy in aircraft overhaul
for 32 years. I spent a good deal of time working in the processing shop
where we did a lot of PMB blasting on the F18. We were never allowed
to blast any composite parts. A couple of times composite parts were
blasted, and were shredded. However after reading over the link you show,
they were using a lot more air pressure. Good info.

Best, John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.