Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a place to get a frame painted or powder coated, preferably in the valley or west side. I really don't want to spend too much on an old frame and I'm willing to strip and mask it myself if that makes a difference. I'm also not too picky about color. I definetely have preferences toward bright colors, but almost anything not black will make me happy. I know with powder coaters, they might give deals if they're already spraying something.

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
I'm not sure where exactly you live but you can try this shop.
http://www.powdercoater.com/gallery.html

The last time I ask how much I think they quoted $ 150.00 just for the frame. I ended up going to Olympic powder coat just because they already have the experience in powdercoating bike frames.(They used to do GT and other brands) I think I had my frame done for $ 60.00 for the plain color(Gloss black) But it's a drive because they are located in Santa Ana.

SoCalAl said:
I'm looking for a place to get a frame painted or powder coated, preferably in the valley or west side. I really don't want to spend too much on an old frame and I'm willing to strip and mask it myself if that makes a difference. I'm also not too picky about color. I definetely have preferences toward bright colors, but almost anything not black will make me happy. I know with powder coaters, they might give deals if they're already spraying something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi, ummm, newbie here....

might sound kinda stupid, but i was just wondering, getting the frame painted or powdercoated, does that void any type of warrany, on the bike or frame?

and, would i have to disassemble the bike and give them the frame, or do they do that for me?

im really close to santa ana, so this is actually interesting to me, then i wont have to concentrate on how the bike looks, as much as the components on it.

·
Just Ride!
806 Posts
In terms of warranty I can't really tell you but If I have to guess, I would say yes. I took my bike apart before I had it powdercoated. I'm sure there are some bike shops in your area who would do it for you and send your frame out to the powdercoater for a small fee plus the coast of the powdercoating.( The Path maybe)

SoCalKid said:
hi, ummm, newbie here....

might sound kinda stupid, but i was just wondering, getting the frame painted or powdercoated, does that void any type of warrany, on the bike or frame?

and, would i have to disassemble the bike and give them the frame, or do they do that for me?

im really close to santa ana, so this is actually interesting to me, then i wont have to concentrate on how the bike looks, as much as the components on it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Santa Ana is a drive,
but it would be worth it to save $90. The only one in the valley I already knew of was the one in Chatsworth. A guy I know who does custom Harleys takes all his stuff there.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At first glance of the subject line, I thought you were calling me a newbie! If I might make a suggestion, instead of spending $60 on painting your frame take that money and invest it in:
-A copy of "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintainance", $20
-An "Aireon" toolkit at Supergo, about $45
-A pair of Klein diagonal cutters from the hardware store, $18 (much cheaper than bike cable cutters and do the same job, the shops I go to use them)
This way you'll be able to do almost any work on your bike yourself. The only thing I need to go to a shop for is to install or remove headset cups. To pay a shop to strip the bike down, then rebuild it would probably run at least $30-$40.

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
I had three frames done by Advanced Powder Coating in Chatsworth- 818-773-9640. Bob and Barbara are the owners. I had to strip the bike, they prepped and masked it off.

He used to do the Yeti frames, now he does a lot of everything else. His place is pretty big, but he's a good ol' boy. I paid $115 for one color. He can do almost any color and will do fades, etc for a fee.
I chose black.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
SoCalAl said:
Wow, that's the best home paint job I've ever seen. Please give me any tips and details that you can, I've been thinking of doing it myself.
Yes, very nice rattle can paint job. Did it take a coat of clear coat to get the medal flake to "pop"?

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Pigtire said:
I'm not sure where exactly you live but you can try this shop.
https://www.powdercoater.com/gallery.html

The last time I ask how much I think they quoted $ 150.00 just for the frame. I ended up going to Olympic powder coat just because they already have the experience in powdercoating bike frames.(They used to do GT and other brands) I think I had my frame done for $ 60.00 for the plain color(Gloss black) But it's a drive because they are located in Santa Ana.
Another vote here for Olympic.

The color turned out relaly nice.

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
I have a frame at Andrews right now. I should get it back in a week or two (not a rush job and the original powder needed to be stripped). I'll post the results when I see them first hand. While I was there I saw two other frames on a drying rack and the finish looked great. Certainly not the cheapest coater, that much is true.

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Update

Got my frame and parts back from Andrews yesterday and they all look great. They were sent off to be chemically stripped (faster and more gentle than media blast) and that added a week to the turnaround. The finish is very nice - even, not too thick, and very wet looking. I'll definitely use them again.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.