Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the paint like on the 2011 carbon bikes? I have had 2008 and 2009 SC bikes where after several months the paint starts to flake off.

What is the paint like on the 2011 model carbon bikes (or 2010 cabon), is it any better or does it flake off too?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The paint on SC's carbon bikes are completely different that what they use for their aluminum bikes. Their aluminum bikes are powdercoated then baked in an oven which creates a hard shell on the the bike. Carbon frames on the other hand can not be powdercoated because of the high temperatures required to cure the powdercoat. They are instead painted in a traditional way with regular paint and a clear coat.

Long store short, the paint on carbon frames are not as tough as frames that have been powdercoated. (I've owned both types of frames.) My current bike, Blur LT carbon, has some chipped paint around the BB from dropped chains. There's no damage to the frame, it's just superficial paint chips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why dont you drive your car down the mountain or drive it down the trail's that you ride and see if the paint will hold up,these question's about paint are killing me,if you do not want your paint to chip then dont ride the bike.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bruisa33 said:
Why dont you drive your car down the mountain or drive it down the trail's that you ride and see if the paint will hold up,these question's about paint are killing me,if you do not want your paint to chip then dont ride the bike.
I have no issues with the paint on my van when I drive it up and down the mountain or offroad, what sort of car do you own...?

If you read my post I wasn't talking about paint chipping I was talking about it flaking off over time, perhaps you should crawl back from where you came.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
I am not a fan of black bikes......but glad this is one thing I don't have to worry about with my Tallboy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.