Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I bought a new RM Altitude 2018 Alloy 50 last year and after some rides in the Alps the paint got some flaking. For me the kind of flaking looks like the paint is not really firm on the frame.

My dealer contacted RM but they said this is not a warranty issue. But I think a company which claims to make "high performance mountain bikes" also the paint shold be great.
Does someone has similar issues with his RM bike?

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
all of those little pings are super common on nearly any black alloy bike. You have an extreme case and I've never seen a worse one, but the little pings are in no way a warranty issue. It's why people get frame protectors and wraps now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Personally, I think that a bike performance and its paint quality are completely different things.

In the automotive industry, paint has gotten much softer over recent years due to regulations around what chemicals can and can’t be used in the paint and during the painting process.

It’s possible that the same type of regulations apply to non-automotive applications. If so, should companies that manufacture “high performance bikes” scale back on performance because they don’t have access to high quality paint?

As an FYI, you’ll find a current paint quality thread in the Knolly forum as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies.
Seems this is common nowadays and on black bikes. My former Trek bikes just did not show such significant flakings on the frame. Nevertheless, thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same model, RM Altitude Alloy 50 2018. Paint just peeled off. I applied a frame protector on the top tube and didn't get it right. When I peeled it off to re-allign it the paint just came off with it. Bike was pristine. Great to ride bit terrible paint! Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Carbon Musical instrument accessory Bicycle frame

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.