Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of using a full-face helmet (too hot on summer long ride), I am thinking about the alternative of using the paint-ball mask to protect my face when needed, the advantage is easy to take it off and store away in uphill or less technical portion. From the picture those masks seem to have good ventilation, can anyone had used it comment on that idea?
thanks

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
i use to paintball frequently and have many paintball mask...are you talking about using a full head coverage mask or just the face sheild...

If you are planning to use the face sheild in corralation with a regular helment i dont think that will work...1. i dont think they will both fit on your head in a proper way and 2. i realy dont think a paintball mask will give you much protection...

really dont think this is such a great idea....

·
Registered
818 Posts
That is old-skool.

All the BMX guys were doing that back in the 80's.

JT racing used to make those things. I think they make paintball masks now. They might protect your skin, maybe some teeth. Maybe not.

Alot of what gets worn is dictated by fashion anyway. Being ahead of the curve is always cool. Dirt Jumpers don't always wear helmets or shirts even.

Not sure if it's good idea or bad idea, it used to be done. I was always to broke growing up to afford high end gear like that. I had to make do with my Pee-Wee baseball cap.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
It will come in handy in case you get ambushed in the woods and have to return fire.

Or if a rabid squirrel or raccon attaches to your face in a clawing frenzy that would otherwise render you blind.

Or perhaps if you encounter a poison-spitting cobra in the woods and it spits venom in your face.

Or if you're suddenly teleported into outer space and aliens try unsuccessfully to attach their brain-sucking orficies to your face.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ignoring the heat, I always ride with my full-face helmet. Came in handy last summer when an old man and his mini-van ran me down... on purpose, in an intersection. I skid on the right side of head for about 10 feet. A regular helmet woulda let my face get shaved.... Hot or not, full-face all the way for me.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
What would the mask protect your face from?
1) Surprise bow-and-arrow attacks from warring indian tribes.

2) Swarms of killer bees

3) Oral herpes

4) Hay maker punches from beligerant drunks during a post-ride brew at the pub

·
UF Engineering Slave
370 Posts
I think the motocrossers were more worried about rocks kicked up from other bikes knocking out their teeth... I don't think a paintball mask is gonna give you the kind of impact protection you are looking for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Notorious-J said:
Ignoring the heat, I always ride with my full-face helmet. Came in handy last summer when an old man and his mini-van ran me down... on purpose, in an intersection. I skid on the right side of head for about 10 feet. A regular helmet woulda let my face get shaved.... Hot or not, full-face all the way for me.
sorry about that just wanted to see what kind of shoes you were wearing : P

·
2,677 Posts
Jim311 said:

2) Swarms of killer bees

3) Oral herpes

When I was riding last week, I got oral herpes......If I had a paintball mask I wouldn't have all these red bumpy things on my face.

God this thread is dumb.

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
The only thing I could see a paintball mask being useful for is to keep brush out of your face because as said above they're made to be flexible and will just crush into your face during a crash.

Something that might be worth looking into is trying to find things like the face guards that ski racers bolt on the helmets to keep the gates out of their faces. I know I've seen a decent helmet at one of my LBS's that had one of these but can't remember the brand or model.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Jim311 said:

2) Swarms of killer bees

3) Oral herpes

5) Friendly "hellos" from other mountain bikers (or in fact anyone else on the trails)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i guess it would give a little protection but probably not worth it. it might prevent cuts and scrapes in the event of a full faceplant, but not much else....

better off using a full face.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I believe Scott is the company that actually pioneered the goggle-attached face shield back in the day...don't ask me how I know. That said, I find a full coverage helmet to be cooler than the old Scott Race Face. That shield fit super close to the face, and IMO no amount of venting allowed more air to flow around the face than a well designed full coverage helmet. I was racing dirt motor enduros with that Scott shield back in the old days before full coverage helmets were the hot setup. When I went to a Bell Moto full coverage helmet, I was sure happy with the better facial cooling. You work hard enough on a dirt motor while aggressively riding a trail. I can't imagine wearing that close-fitting face shield while trail riding my bicycle. In fact I found an old pic during one of my races in the summer where I pulled off the Race Face because it was unbearable. I get a shiver down my spine right now seeing me riding without a full coverage helmet.:D

BTW, Razorfish...Ricky Carmichael is actually the best motocrosser of all time...LOL!...but I really liked Bailey...and Weinert...and R. Johnson...and Glover...well, the list goes on...LOL!

Attachments

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
TNC said:
BTW, Razorfish...Ricky Carmichael is actually the best motocrosser of all time...LOL!...but I really liked Bailey...and Weinert...and R. Johnson...and Glover...well, the list goes on...LOL!
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that you even mentioned those names. I never got to see Glover race but have been lucky enough to see the rest of your list. Cooper, Micky, Wardy, it goes on. I couldn't believe Ward raced X Games Super Moto. He's about my age. I said that to my wife and she just looked at me and said, "No." hahaha. Hey, I gotta get a bike to teach my son, right.

Who's that? Just a wild guess, Hanna?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Razor, are you referring to the pic I posted? If so, that's me. That's some serious early to mid-70's old school stuff going on there...LOL! That 360 Husky has drum brakes on both ends, electrical tape race numbers, duct taped elbow guards, and other fashion nightmares like Kawasaki leathers...yes, real leather...and Kawasaki jersey. Do you think I might have been riding a Kawasaki before getting this Husky?...LOL! I look much more stylish when riding my MTB these days...right out of GQ...LOL!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.