Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to relate my recent experience converting to tubeless because it was easy (as a counter point to some of the stories you read on the board). My new Stumpjumper Comp 29er came “tubeless ready”, with 2Bliss tires, rim strips already installed and the stems were supplied. I did a test run on the front wheel first without sealant and the tire seated instantly with the compressor. It was so easy I deflated it, unseated it and tried again with my little frame pump, no problem. I took it up to about 45-50psi and left it overnight and it was still holding about 30psi the next day. So down to the bike shop I go and pick up some Stan’s sealant and converted front and rear. Did the roll, shake, wheel on the side routine and rode around the back yard for a few minutes and done. I can’t say much about the benefits yet, I’ve only gone for a short slow ride in the snow, but the conversion was easy enough. I guess I should give the credit to Specialized, they did all the real work.

Gary

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
The Specy installed Blue tape has been improperly installed in the past, so if the strip looks loose, wandering, etc, pull it off and reinstall with new tape. You will want to do 2.5 turns of tape.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Specialized tires are really really great. Control casing is great balance between durabitily and weight. Traction is great on most tires and 2Bliss is just icing on the cake. 2.4 Purgatory SX would be awesome though...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Painless....

All_talk said:
Just want to relate my recent experience converting to tubeless because it was easy (as a counter point to some of the stories you read on the board). My new Stumpjumper Comp 29er came "tubeless ready", with 2Bliss tires, rim strips already installed and the stems were supplied. I did a test run on the front wheel first without sealant and the tire seated instantly with the compressor. It was so easy I deflated it, unseated it and tried again with my little frame pump, no problem. I took it up to about 45-50psi and left it overnight and it was still holding about 30psi the next day. So down to the bike shop I go and pick up some Stan's sealant and converted front and rear. Did the roll, shake, wheel on the side routine and rode around the back yard for a few minutes and done. I can't say much about the benefits yet, I've only gone for a short slow ride in the snow, but the conversion was easy enough. I guess I should give the credit to Specialized, they did all the real work.

Gary
... except in the pocketbook.

Dayum.... $60 a tire is serious $$$$$$$ for a once a year wear out item.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just want to say, not to knock your experience, but Stan's rims do the exact same thing. But 2 BIiss ready is definitely good on the tire side of things. My WTB NanoRaptors aired right up with a floor pump on my Crests, held about the same about of air over night too. My Schwalbe RR's, one aired up well, the other required a compressor.
Tires with less porous sidewalls help alot! (glad more manufacturers are figuring out how to better seal the sidewalls, without adding a ton of unnecessary weight.)

I've been running tubeless with the Stan's conversion kit since about 2005 and have grown to really hate the ride of a bike with tubes in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.