Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just Ride.
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some pretty bad pains on the inside of the back of my leg(above the knee) after riding.
The pain starts at the start of the hamstring and goes all the way up my leg. This is on both legs.
I have attached a photo of the area if I didn't make myself clear.;)

Is there any reason why I would be getting these pains? Is there any particular stretch I should do to stop this?

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
hmm...what type of exercises have you been doing? Anything other than riding? I had patella syndrome in both my knees after long rides although the pain did not travel up my hamstring. Is it more of an sustained ache or intermittent sharp pain? Does the pain reoccur after a few days of no exercise?

·
Just Ride.
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only been riding.
It is more of a sustained ache that lasts a couple of days after riding. I should add that I don't feel the pain when I'm riding until I get to a fairly steep climb.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
well as iam not a doctor, my advice would be to take a week off and resume workouts and see if the pain reoccurs. If a week off doesnt fix the problem you may have something worth checking out with a MD. Alot of times when you ride or any exercise for that matter, and are not properly warmed up taxing exercises can cause strains. Stretching after the fact will not fix the problem. Hamstring injuries can be quite debilitating and become chronic if not addressed. If you are a sports fan, you always here of hamstring injuries sidling players for a number of weeks. A tear obviously being the worst case scenario and you dont have that as its instant pain along with black and blue along the tear. If it pains when doing hill climbs avoid them and do more rehibliltating rides i.e flats low watts, after the time off. It will not heal if you dont take time off. It will save you a headache later on down the road. So consider a week off lucky. Additionally its always good to take time off in general to let the body compensate for the strain put on it from the workouts. Good luck. Get back let us know how it went.

dt3

·
Just Ride.
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have found the problem. Today I went for a ride for the first time in four days.

I remembered that I moved my Cleats all the way back a couple of weeks ago, so before the ride I moved them forward a bit. Also I done some stretches.

I went out pretty easy and felt no pain at all in my legs after 10km. So I pushed a little harder for the next 10 up some hills and no pain. In all I done 30km with some fairly steep climbs and felt no pain at all. :D
So maybe it was the cleats or the lack or stretching.

Thanks for all your help dt3.:thumbsup:

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
Joel. said:
I think I have found the problem. Today I went for a ride for the first time in four days.

I remembered that I moved my Cleats all the way back a couple of weeks ago, so before the ride I moved them forward a bit. Also I done some stretches.

I went out pretty easy and felt no pain at all in my legs after 10km. So I pushed a little harder for the next 10 up some hills and no pain. In all I done 30km with some fairly steep climbs and felt no pain at all. :D
So maybe it was the cleats or the lack or stretching.

Thanks for all your help dt3.:thumbsup:
Probably wasn't the cleats as much as your legs were extended too long( too high of a saddle) after moving the cleats back. pain in that area is pretty standard for too high of a saddle.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
seat position?

I had a very sharp pain in the same part of my right leg after stalling and restarting from a trackstand in a rutted steap climb on my single speed. What cured it for me was changing that slightly too small frame, which required a setback post, which changed the seat tube angle, out for a longer frame and a strait seatpost, resulting in a steeper seat angle. It took me months of resting and eating anti inflamitories until I felt better and then one or two rides on that bike would cripple me again. After switching to the longer frame I've done the two longest, steepest climbs I've ever done on a single speed and no hamstring issues.

Worked for me at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.