Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a serious problem with my rear wheel, and after going through 4 tubes and new rime tape I'm getting pretty annoyed. After I ride for a couple of miles after replacing the tube, it goes flat again. The hole keeps happening right around the valve so I thought the valve hole on the rime was cutting into the tube. After I put a few layers of duct tape around the valve hole, I still get a flat. Anyone have suggestion on how to fix this f#%er? I also thought the tube might be moving in the the tire which would ripe a hole around the vavle, but I don't know.

·
Luddite technophile
302 Posts
teleski69 said:
I've been having a serious problem with my rear wheel, and after going through 4 tubes and new rime tape I'm getting pretty annoyed. After I ride for a couple of miles after replacing the tube, it goes flat again. The hole keeps happening right around the valve so I thought the valve hole on the rime was cutting into the tube. After I put a few layers of duct tape around the valve hole, I still get a flat. Anyone have suggestion on how to fix this f#%er? I also thought the tube might be moving in the the tire which would ripe a hole around the vavle, but I don't know.
My guess? The tire is sliding on the rim when you brake. It carries the tube with it and eventually rips the stem off. Watch the valve stem - if it starts to tilt after riding for a while then that's the problem. My solution (stolen from someone else here at mtbr) was to glue the tire to the rim in 4-5 places using 3M Fast Tack Trim Adhesive. I only glued one side so it's still easy to change tubes.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Not sure I'd go the glue route, but if your tube is indeed sliding inside your tire you may be using too little air pressure or running too small a tube for that tire. If you got all your tubes at one time perhaps it was a bad batch.

·
Luddite technophile
302 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Not sure I'd go the glue route, but if your tube is indeed sliding inside your tire you may be using too little air pressure or running too small a tube for that tire. If you got all your tubes at one time perhaps it was a bad batch.
Yeah - glue was definitely a last resort. But it works fine. Just glued four or five spots of about an inch long each around the tire. It's still quite easy to change tubes or to get the tire off completely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.