Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We completed our first half century yesterday, riding our way to 50 miles. Yes, there were a few road miles in there, but not many, and half on accident. There were a lot of emotions. Everything, for me, went really well until about mile 25. We were halfway done, which I knew. We'd climbed 4000 ft, and still had a truck trail to climb up to Santiago Peak. Thus, I knew it was going to be a tough climb. It was. It got more and more difficult for me to continue as we snaked our way up the mountain. At one point, for a good long while, I couldn't go more than 5-10 minutes without absolutely having to stop due to the pain in my back. Hubby got leg cramps twice, and we stopped for Tums and Margarita Bloks (3x sodium to aid in cramping, according to the packaging).

Along the way we stopped so I could put on arm and leg warmers and another rider rode by, chugging along. Once we got going again I passed him back, but had to stop after a steepier, rockier section to catch my breath, so he went by. We passed him again shortly, and then during another break of ours he passed us, and we didn't see him again until Main Divide.

Once up on Main Divide there was plenty of traffic in the form of teenagers out in their Nissan trucks and Expeditions or Jeeps trying to maneuver around each other on the single lane wide steep rocky sections of Main Divide. That provided some excitement, but also held us up a little, as sunset was approaching.

We managed to get to the peak before sunset, and start off descending Upper Holy Jim. Halfway down I turned on our only light and scared myself the remainder of the descent as I was thoroughly exhausted, and mostly unable to see straight. Technical singletrack in those conditions is not the best!

Once off of the singletrack we had only fire road descent left, and that went smoothly enough. No gunshots to run from tonight. Once I saw the brake lights of the car light up from my helmet light I felt euphoric. 50 miles, around 9,000ft of climbing and we'd made it.

7:47:07 of saddle time for me, and 9:44 of total time. :eek:

Can't wait to hit 50+ some day.

Photos -

The Dos at the top of Indian Truck Trail

Swirling mist and clouds at the intersection of Harding, Maple Springs and Main Divide

More clouds

Almost to the peak

Sunset from the Joplin Trail

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Wheeww !

Thought you were talking about my age :eekster: and what I put up with often, when I read
the title. :D :D

Nice write up aword4you and great pics as well. Congrates on the Half Century.:thumbsup:
I've never gone that far, especially here on the trails we have in the mountains of WV. I've
done several around 20 miles + or - and one 32 to 34 mile loop last July. My hat is off
to you and anyone who joined you on your venture.

Life is short, live it to the fullest !

ODN

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
outdoornut said:
Thought you were talking about my age :eekster: and what I put up with often, when I read
the title. :D :D

Nice write up aword4you and great pics as well. Congrates on the Half Century.:thumbsup:
I've never gone that far, especially here on the trails we have in the mountains of WV. I've
done several around 20 miles + or - and one 32 to 34 mile loop last July. My hat is off
to you and anyone who joined you on your venture.

Life is short, live it to the fullest !

ODN
Thanks! It was just hubby and I, but overall we enjoyed the day. Today on the other hand... it's been rough getting around :)

G

·
The route...

We parked at the bottom of Indian Truck Trail, climbed up Indian Truck, traversed Main Divide to Holy Jim, descended Holy Jim and continued down Trabuco Canyon to the street. We had intended to ride through O'Neil Park but found that the steep ups and downs in O'Neil were costing us too much energy. We bailed off the fire-roads at the Monestary, and rode the rest of the way to Harding on pavement. We climbed up Harding Trail to 4 Corners, hung a right on Main Divide and climbed up to Santiago Peak. On the south side of the peak we turned onto Upper Holy Jim (it was pretty hairy descending UHJ in the dark! I had brought one light as a backup plan, so I gave it to Allison and fumbled my way down behind her trying to follow her lines. Once back on MDTT, we had it made and rode side by side to ITT and then back to the truck.

Not a lot of fun factor in this ride, descending Holy Jim is fun but UHJ wasn't much fun by the time we got there. With over 9K of climbing, it was too much work with too little payoff.

I want to do a similar route with more ST and less DT and pavement!!!

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Nice work. That's a bunch of climbing in 50 miles. Congrats on completing it.

Beautiful pics, btw.

If you want lots of miles on mostly all singletrack go to Park City this summer and do the E100. There's a 50 mile, 100K, and 100 mile option offered for your suffering enjoyment. Beautiful trails and scenery and no teenagers in trucks to contend with.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KRob said:
Nice work. That's a bunch of climbing in 50 miles. Congrats on completing it.

Beautiful pics, btw.

If you want lots of miles on mostly all singletrack go to Park City this summer and do the E100. There's a 50 mile, 100K, and 100 mile option offered for your suffering enjoyment. Beautiful trails and scenery and no teenagers in trucks to contend with.
It's definitely been brought up! I'd love to get into some of the endurance races (doing Counting Coup here in So Cal, which is a shorter version of the Warrior's Society Vision Quest - http://warriorssociety.org/events/vision_quest_general_info.html).

I guess if we wanted a real singletrack challenge at a manageable elevation we could always climb up San Juan Trail, pass Blue Jay, descend Trabuco, climb Holy Jim, traverse back up and across to Blue Jay, and descend San Juan.

I always find climbing ST to be much more exhausting and difficult than fire roads, so that route may need to wait a few months :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.