Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just took delivery of an '03 Wildfire with Remolino rims and Gazzis. I've got Endomorphs on the way. I'm thinking of powdercoating it to freshen the big boy up. Are the wildfire decals and "Built in ... " decals still available?

Nice bike and I think it will work great here in Maine, esp in Feb/Mar when the smowmobile trails get packed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually ....

I got the bike from Cameron Chambers, the 24 Hour XC champ. Who knows where he got it from but his dad owns a bike shop in Kansas. I took it for the first ride today. After 39 days and 39 nights of rain I thought I might see all the critters pairing up. As you might expect the deep woods singletrack was wet, slippery leaves and roots and plenty of sink holes. After tentatively trying the sink holes I rode right thru! I spent so much time in the water my rear der froze up (29 deg F). unbelievable what this bike will bull through. I think 10 psi is the right press for this wheel tire combo. I tried 15 but it seemed too harsh. I could grind through the rotten stuff just fine and then spin along on the gravel access road with np.

I had a chance to look the frame over last night when I was cleaning it up and it is sweet. Glad I found this Wildfire and didn't have to buy a Pugs. I didn't want to deal with that alien frame / fork offset issue. Gonna put 29" on it next summer.

Nice bike!

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Oh that one

OK, yeah, Cameron bought the frame and rims and built it up himself for resistance training on the Kansas sand dunes. Too bad he had to sell it but it sounds like it went to a good home. Thanks and glad you like it, wait til you get it in the snow!

Wildfire

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on Endomorphs / Remolinos for Wildfire

Never underestimate an Irishman with a box cutter, dremel and a porta Power.

The front tire was np. A few adjustments to the Vicious Cycles fork with the Porta Power in the right places and Viola plenty of clearance. The rear tire was a little more of a challenge. There was about about a quarter inch clearance on the non drive side but the drive side was an eighth inch and the lugs were rubbing. I used the box cutter to cut off the lugs and the Dremel with a sanding barrel to smooth the shoulder up. Now there is clearance and the FD clears in the granny gear too. Yeah, it's tight but for low speed stuff I don't think I'll have a major issue with it. MMMmmmm, sweet. Removed the front Deore disk (what crap) and I'm going to replace the rear with a 180 Avid cable. Before the tire change the bike weighed 39 lbs. With the much larger Endos it weighs 35 lbs. Whadda deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought i was the only guy with remolina rims that were not drilled out.Im in the process of machining my rims on a friends cnc mill.When im done i will let you know the weight saving and post some pics.

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Looks good

Glad you got the Surly tire to work on the Fatbike with the Remolino rim. It wouldn't quite fit on my 2005 frame but works well with the Surly/Surly combo. We're going wider with this year's batch of frames to accomodate the newly available larger tires but since the remolino rims are no longer made it's a bit of a moot point..You might try dishing that rear wheel over a tad toward the nondrive side to prevent the tire hitting the drive side chainstay.

Wow it still weighs 35 lbs? Are you running those Surly inner tubes? I havn't weighed em but they are very heavy. You might try running some 2.5" WTB inner tubes, they are a lot lighter and I've had good luck with them even though we're stretching the limits on size. I've heard some people are even playing around with tubeless systems but I havn't tried that yet.

Oh yeah, Peter, that frame was built with a monster down tube at Cameron's request so I am sure that adds a bit of extra weight. Looks kinda cool, though.

Jim, the Wildfire frame was designed for a longer fork so you are probably ending up with a steeper head angle then usual. Plus the Wildfire forks have tons more clearance. But if it works for you, what the heck.

Anyway, have fun on that thing.

Wildfire

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.