Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm still going back and forth, and a buddy of mine is in the same boat.

Seems from all of the extensive research:

66SL ATA

Amazing fork, but has so many damn air chambers! I'm the set-it-and-forget-it type of guy, and not sure all these options are what I want. I like to install stuff and then not mess with it again. Perhaps if I bought it I could post and see what everyone would recommend for my size (230lbs).

Lyric Coil

Awesome damping and smooth as silk, but waaaay linear. I'm big and might go through it's travel too easily. Not good.

Fox 36 VAN

Seems people think Lyrics damping is better than 36 VAN. I want the most buttery as possible.

So here I am still stuck with a decision. Bottom line is I'm heavy and need the most buttery fork for my visits to Dville and N* this year.

Do you have any further advice? You seem to be one of the more knowledgable on these products (except the RS fork perhaps).

Thanks!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah bullit, I have no experience with the Lyrik or Totem model RS forks. They seem like really good forks, but I only know what I've seen here.

I think the damping on the Van 36 is very good. I still have mine on my Bullit. I don't think they blow through their travel...at least not for me.

Yeah, the 66SL ATA is even a bit more complicated than my '06 66SL, but it doesn't take an engineering degree to live with it. The nice thing is that much of the guess work and experimentation for you to use this fork has pretty much been done by many of the kind folk on this site. Using this fork does involve getting familiar with two different guaged air pumps, so if you really don't want to periodically check air pressures and such, then get a coil fork.

I'm certainly no more knowledgeable than many other people on these boards, but from what you described here, maybe a good coil fork in the Lyrik or Van 36 area would be the best choice. The 66 coil models are a little on the heavier side but are excellent.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

TNC said:
Yeah bullit, I have no experience with the Lyrik or Totem model RS forks. They seem like really good forks, but I only know what I've seen here.

I think the damping on the Van 36 is very good. I still have mine on my Bullit. I don't think they blow through their travel...at least not for me.

Yeah, the 66SL ATA is even a bit more complicated than my '06 66SL, but it doesn't take an engineering degree to live with it. The nice thing is that much of the guess work and experimentation for you to use this fork has pretty much been done by many of the kind folk on this site. Using this fork does involve getting familiar with two different guaged air pumps, so if you really don't want to periodically check air pressures and such, then get a coil fork.

I'm certainly no more knowledgeable than many other people on these boards, but from what you described here, maybe a good coil fork in the Lyrik or Van 36 area would be the best choice. The 66 coil models are a little on the heavier side but are excellent.
Thanks for the input.

I thought about the 66RC2X, but that may be too heavy for my needs.

I'd like to find out more about the Lyric Coil. It's new and different and I'd like to give RS a try.

Plus I've seen comments like:

Having riden a 36Van for a year before switching to a Lyric; I can say that the Lyric's damping is sooooo much better than the 36. BTW, I've owned 2 TALAS 36s and one Van.__________________

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
I believe the 66rc2x is only about 1/4 pound heavier than the Totem coil (1.5) and about .05 lb heavier than the 1.125 version of the Totem coil. Pretty negligible if you ask me. The 66rc2x is bullet proof and proven (IMO).

good luck in your search.

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
I weigh ~230 w/gear, and love my 66 RC2X, way more than the Pike 426 I replaced it with. I don't really notice the weight difference, but performance wise, it's head and shoulders above that Pike. I know you're looking at a Lyrik, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

The only thing I do before I ride, is make sure theirs a couple of pounds of air, in each fork leg. I mean literally, 2 or 3 pounds in each leg. It works that good, under my fat a$$.

If you lived out in Phoenix, I'd let you take it for a test ride.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kevhogaz said:
I weigh ~230 w/gear, and love my 66 RC2X, way more than the Pike 426 I replaced it with. I don't really notice the weight difference, but performance wise, it's head and shoulders above that Pike. I know you're looking at a Lyrik, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

The only thing I do before I ride, is make sure theirs a couple of pounds of air, in each fork leg. I mean literally, 2 or 3 pounds in each leg. It works that good, under my fat a$$.

If you lived out in Phoenix, I'd let you take it for a test ride.
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I live in CA. What bike do you have it on? I have and 06 Enduro Expert and that may be way overkill for my bike! Granted the 66SL is just as tall but not near as heavy.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm planning on getting an 06 66 SL because it is relatively light, and has a bit more travel than the 36 Talas that is will be replacing. I'm a bigger guy at 225, and like to ride pretty aggressively with moderate drops. I also have a 06 Enduro Expert, and just got the DHX coil for it for a little background.

Coming from the Talas I wanted a reliable and somewhat lighter fork that could take more abuse with a bit more travel.

The 06 SL has a little less travel than the 07s, which is good for the 06 Enduro because I don't want to slack out my ride too much. I think the 170-130 adjustments will be nice because the fork can still climb, and doesn't weigh nearly as much as the coil 66's.

I decided to pick this over the other forks that you mentioned because I've been a long time Zokes user, and really enjoy the feel. Overall, the reliability has been pretty good from what I read on the forums, so to me it was an easy decision.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I checked out the weights of these forks and came up with:

66SL 5.9lbs
66RC2X 6.4lbs
Lyric 5.4lbs
Fox 36VAN RC2 5.5lbs

I don't care about reducing travel, so perhaps the 66RC2X wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Has anyone had time on the 66SL and the 66RC2X?

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
bullit71 said:
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I live in CA. What bike do you have it on? I have and 06 Enduro Expert and that may be way overkill for my bike! Granted the 66SL is just as tall but not near as heavy.
I put my 66, on a KHS AM2000. I wanted to see if I wanted a 6" bike, so I bought a killer fork, and cheaped out on the frame.

·
Registered
754 Posts
bullit71 said:
So I checked out the weights of these forks and came up with:

66SL 5.9lbs
66RC2X 6.4lbs
Lyric 5.4lbs
Fox 36VAN RC2 5.5lbs

I don't care about reducing travel, so perhaps the 66RC2X wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Has anyone had time on the 66SL and the 66RC2X?
I dont want to start a flame war... but im pretty sure marzo weighs their forks with 20mm axels or steerers pressed... my of 66vf uncut was 7.8 lbs.

My advice would be to look towards the lyric coil. I am currently on the totem 2 step, and i must say despite the skepticism about the 2 step system, the mission control damping that all lyrics/totems share is outstanding. H/L compression and floodgate are great, and the rebound adjustment is very effective.

I will say that i was pretty convinced on the 66sl ata instead of the totem this year. Having ridden last years 66sl, i was convinced that the 07 ATA is a dream fork. Perhaps it still is, but a few spins on a totem and a great deal from the sram rep swayed me to the dark and up-and-coming RS side.

The 66 is stiff, but as is the lyric... I think that the lyric coil suits your needs well and provides you the adjustability and reliabilty that a guy your size could really use, without the extra weight of a 66.

just my $.02. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Get an RC2x

MonkeyBidnezz said:
I'm planning on getting an 06 66 SL because it is relatively light, and has a bit more travel than the 36 Talas that is will be replacing. I'm a bigger guy at 225, and like to ride pretty aggressively with moderate drops. I also have a 06 Enduro Expert, and just got the DHX coil for it for a little background.

Coming from the Talas I wanted a reliable and somewhat lighter fork that could take more abuse with a bit more travel.

The 06 SL has a little less travel than the 07s, which is good for the 06 Enduro because I don't want to slack out my ride too much. I think the 170-130 adjustments will be nice because the fork can still climb, and doesn't weigh nearly as much as the coil 66's.

I decided to pick this over the other forks that you mentioned because I've been a long time Zokes user, and really enjoy the feel. Overall, the reliability has been pretty good from what I read on the forums, so to me it was an easy decision.
I currently own a 66sl, and I would suggest going the the RC2x. If I could have done it all over again, an RC2x would be on my bike. Here are my reasons:

-The 66sl is affected by the weather quite a bit...so if I set it up in the morning when its cool, and when it significantly warms up, the air expands causing it to stiffen up.

-The RC2x just "feels" better to me. It is more consistent through its travel due to the fact it is coil sprung, and doesnt have the spongy feel that my sl has.

-The RC2x will require less attention in the short and long run. There are way more seals involved in the SL, therefore are going to require more maintaince. The RC2x is dual coil, and has just two main air chambers to fine tune sag. Bottomout in the X Cartridge is all hydraulic, so there is no air to tinker with. Just turn a dial. In the long run, the lack of air seals in the RC2x is going to decrease the amount that the fork will have to be serviced.

-My sl has had this consistent stiction issue that has been pretty irritating...

If I were you, I would just take the weight penalty and get an RC2x:thumbsup:

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
cracks me up how all you did was talk up your 66sl now all you do is talk it down lol

try the works service, what the hell have u got to loose :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.