Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THene,

I know you are the guru of the OT and Womble and I need some advice on planning a bike camp on the Womble/OT.

Here is the rough plan.

Park cars at Womble 298 and OT HWY 7.
Ride from 298 to John Archer 1st day.
Ride to HWY 7 2nd day.

Planning on packing just the min sleeping gear and camping supplies, but plan to use water filter for water.

Here are some questions.

1. Will the cars be safe parking overnight?
2. Is West->East route better or East->West?
3. I'm not familiar with the east end of the Womble. Will we cross Story Creek where we can get water or should we plan on stashing water at HWY 27?
4. Have you use the shelters on the OT, if so what do you think of them?

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'd like to chime in here as well. I'm looking at parking at the eastern most portion of the Ouachita Trail that bikes are allowed on. I believe this is mile 160. From there I plan on riding the Ouachita Trail all the way to what I believe is Big Brushy Campground and riding that trail. What I'm trying to figure out is what is the best way to get from there back to Ogden and the beginning of the Womble. I'd like to ride the Womble all the way back to the OC (the intersection I past on the first day), and then double back to my car on Hwy 7.

What are your thoughts on this? I did something similar to this last year but I was lost and just wound my way through some FS roads until I found a FS Station to figure out where the heck I was!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Water?

I am planning a three day trip on the same trail as the OC. I think it is a little over 70 miles. I am mainly concerned about water. The four camp site I will be riding to or by say they don't have water. What are your suggestions. Also want is the best direction to travel.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not sure of the camp sites you are speaking of but like scoutcat mentioned a filter will take care of that. You cross a creek like every 10 miles or so. OC is marked but won't be in May. OT is more enjoyable when you are fresh so do it first IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Photos of Campsites

Yeah sorry about that I should have told you what campsites. Better yet here what we are planning and you guys can tell me if this sounds good since you have been there. We are planning on starting out at buddys landing off of hwy 27. Then heading west to the Big Brushy campgrounds( any photos of this section of trail or campgrounds would be great). Then on day two we wil continue west and make the turn back and camp at Rocky Shoals(same on this photos would be great). Then on day three head back to buddys landing. Any advice would be the best. Is this the best direction or should we go the other way?

·
Registered
332 Posts
You will be fine at those sites as they are both car accessable and kept up. no showers but next to water so will work. That direction will give you the hardest first like I said. I assume buddys landing is the hwy 27 fishing village.

·
Registered
35 Posts
THenne said:
You will be fine at those sites as they are both car accessable and kept up. no showers but next to water so will work. That direction will give you the hardest first like I said. I assume buddys landing is the hwy 27 fishing village.
Yes it is. Do you think we could park there and our car would be ok for 3 days?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bringing it back

THene,

I know you are the guru of the OT and Womble and I need some advice on planning a bike camp on the Womble/OT.
Reviving an old thread, but thinking of a similar trip here in the beginning of April. Want to start at North Fork Lake and head East up to the OT. Take the OT west to Brushy Road and come south back to the car.

Is this a good idea?
Reasonable for Three days?
Will water be available anywhere?

Would love the feedback.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.