Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find the thread talking about the ride - so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Can I join?

Where do I need to be and when?

My vehicle can do 3 bikes and 3 peeps - if that helps any.

Me stomach bugs r dead - I'm ready to rip!

Gimme the 411!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
So far

The timing is....meet at the bottom of toads....parking lot out oneidas rd. at 7am for shutteling up to spooner. Still waiting for Kyle to post the official info.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigboulder said:
The timing is....meet at the bottom of toads....parking lot out oneidas rd. at 7am for shutteling up to spooner. Still waiting for Kyle to post the official info.
Thanks.

I've done the loop from Onieda - up the road, up Rim to Saxxon.. is that the route -or are other trails involved?

I'm wondering why the shuttle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
You need to read the thread chuck

we are starting at Spooner and riding the TRT to the top of toads. around 40 miles with the last 26 being the "Punisher" route from Heavanly stagecoach lift to toads. This is a serious Arsekicker especially with the amount of miles ridden at elevations between 9 and 10 K. I have done spooner to kingsbury and the punisher but never on the same day. trust me...it would be like doing the oneides to rim to toads ride 3 times in one day.

Do Not Under Estimate This Ride!:nono:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigboulder said:
we are starting at Spooner and riding the TRT to the top of toads. around 40 miles with the last 26 being the "Punisher" route from Heavanly stagecoach lift to toads. This is a serious Arsekicker especially with the amount of miles ridden at elevations between 9 and 10 K. I have done spooner to kingsbury and the punisher but never on the same day. trust me...it would be like doing the oneides to rim to toads ride 3 times in one day.

Do Not Under Estimate This Ride!:nono:
Gotcha.

I'll check the thread again.

Is this harder than the FLEA ride?

Josh will prolly join us - remember, from our Auburn ride last fall?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigboulder said:
we are starting at Spooner and riding the TRT to the top of toads. around 40 miles with the last 26 being the "Punisher" route from Heavanly stagecoach lift to toads. This is a serious Arsekicker especially with the amount of miles ridden at elevations between 9 and 10 K. I have done spooner to kingsbury and the punisher but never on the same day. trust me...it would be like doing the oneides to rim to toads ride 3 times in one day.

Do Not Under Estimate This Ride!:nono:
OK - I've read the thread again, and am still left without a complete understanding of the ride. There is no one map of the ride - and the ones on http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/trailmaps.htm#four are spotty - with the map legend covering the route between TRT to Saxxon.

I can't imagine this ride being much harder than FLEA. I've been at elevation the last 4 weekends in a row.

Would sure love to join this ride, but weeding through the threads and scant details makes me wonder if this ride is open to those so inclined?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,371 Posts
imridingmybike said:
OK - I've read the thread again, and am still left without a complete understanding of the ride. There is no one map of the ride - and the ones on http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/trailmaps.htm#four are spotty - with the map legend covering the route between TRT to Saxxon.

I can't imagine this ride being much harder than FLEA. I've been at elevation the last 4 weekends in a row.

Would sure love to join this ride, but weeding through the threads and scant details makes me wonder if this ride is open to those so inclined?
using your link, the B ride will do the Kingsbury South to Big Meadows, starting at the top, and instead of going to Big Meadows, will turn north-west on Saxon Creek (Toads). ~26 miles.

The A ride will do the Spooner to Kingsbury portion, followed by the B ride.
 

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
Joined
·
5,500 Posts
Flee FLEA

imridingmybike said:
OK - I've read the thread again, and am still left without a complete understanding of the ride. There is no one map of the ride - and the ones on http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/trailmaps.htm#four are spotty - with the map legend covering the route between TRT to Saxxon.

I can't imagine this ride being much harder than FLEA. I've been at elevation the last 4 weekends in a row.
This ride will be MUCH harder than the FLEA ride (you talking about the Folsom Lake Ride right?) overall mileage is less but the terrain is more challenging, elevations higher, and I think the total climbing is greater. I've ridden a lot of this mileage and it's quite tough. Then at the end of one of the roughest cross country rides most of us have been on we'll have a challenging downhill run we have to be alert on.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
0gre said:
This ride will be MUCH harder than the FLEA ride (you talking about the Folsom Lake Ride right?) overall mileage is less but the terrain is more challenging, elevations higher, and I think the total climbing is greater. I've ridden a lot of this mileage and it's quite tough. Then at the end of one of the roughest cross country rides most of us have been on we'll have a challenging downhill run we have to be alert on.
You've ridden w/me Dennis. Are you recomending I don't do the ride?

Will you be doing the ride?
 

·
Totally, and to the max.
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Hey Chuck, I'll post the details in a new thread. The reason for shuttling is the sheer size of this ride. Starting at Spooner will provide a necessary warm-up to tackle the Punisher segment. And when I roll in to the Toad's lower parking lot, I plan on cracking a 22 oz. Stone IPA and basically going comatose for the rest of the evening. You're more than welcome to join us. If you felt you couldn't complete the ride, you could always take the bailout at Star Lake. After that point though, you're pretty committed. New thread coming...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K-max said:
Hey Chuck, I'll post the details in a new thread. The reason for shuttling is the sheer size of this ride. Starting at Spooner will provide a necessary warm-up to tackle the Punisher segment. And when I roll in to the Toad's lower parking lot, I plan on cracking a 22 oz. Stone IPA and basically going comatose for the rest of the evening. You're more than welcome to join us. If you felt you couldn't complete the ride, you could always take the bailout at Star Lake. After that point though, you're pretty committed. New thread coming...
Thanks Kyle,

I've been riding at elevation several times this year - did two laps of DVille yesterday and felt fine (hammered from packer saddle to Paulie Creek, Butcher, 3rd, first divide in an hour, twenty) - so I'm not too worried about the elevation.

I will bring a water filter, emergency blanket, fire starter, plenty of tubes and xtra rear derr. Not to mention large quantities of food, electrolyte tabs and water!

Between Josh and I (bringing a friend, if that's ok?) - we should be self sufficient.

Is there room in the shuttle vehicles - or should we try to work that out ourselves?

Thanks again, Chuck
 

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
Joined
·
5,500 Posts
Absolutely not

imridingmybike said:
You've ridden w/me Dennis. Are you recomending I don't do the ride?

Will you be doing the ride?
I'll be doing the ride. I think I'm in a bit better shape than I was on the FLEA ride. As for recommending whether you do the ride or not... How should I know? But if you do go be prepared for a tougher ride. There are plenty of safe bail outs though which is why I'm not too worried about it. Armstrong Pass is the final Bail Out and it drops you to where the cars are parked (missing Toads though), I'm confident I can make it there. Whether I can make that last 600' climb up to Freel Meadow that late in the ride is the big question mark in my book.

If I can make it so can you. Otherwise who will fix my bike?
 

·
bicycle rider
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
imridingmybike said:
Is there room in the shuttle vehicles - or should we try to work that out ourselves?
My truck has room for eight people and bikes. Not sure if it will be full or not.

Not sure of anything really, except that I think I'm taking people from the bottom of Mr. Toads to Spooner, and hopefully someone is bringing me back to my truck or my truck back to me after the A ride. I'm leaving for Downieville at 5AM, will read and write more tomorrow night.

Morgan
 

·
Medium?
Joined
·
6,728 Posts
imridingmybike said:
I've been riding at elevation several times this year - did two laps of DVille yesterday and felt fine (hammered from packer saddle to Paulie Creek, Butcher, 3rd, first divide in an hour, twenty) - so I'm not too worried about the elevation.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but the A ride is harder than a lap of Big Boulder starting from town. This ride starts 200' higher than Packer Saddle, then climbs 1500' to the top of the first climb, then Kingsbury is at 7000' and Freel Pass is at 9500', and the climb from Armstrong Pass to Freel is about 750'. The total elevation gain is probably almost 6000'. The finish is only about 1000' below the start, but the Toad's descent is 3000' of pure joy.

See you there. 8^)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
Freel Pass

is at 10K...... the climb up from heavanly to monument pass is a butt kicker too because you will be either pushing your bike or trying to ride through sand for a long time....in the sun....at high elevation....9k @ the top...only to see Freel looming in the distance and then there is the climb up to Armstrong....

But the fact is...Chuck is a strong rider and a youngin too...so he'll do just fine....it's me I am worried about;)

CHUCK! DON'T MISS THIS RIDE!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top