Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
Joined
·
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey locals

My uncle (60) has been told the aquaduct trail is a nice ride and connects up with the warbie trail somewhere. I know of the aquaduct trail but am after advice on where to get on it and whats the best route? We're talking about a flattish gravel ride here, not looking for mtb tracks as such.

Thanks again
 

·
I like to ride my bicycle
Joined
·
284 Posts
The real aqueduct trail runs through Mt Evelyn. If you go to the small park behind IGA you'll see it there. From there, it runs both ways: further into residential Mt Evelyn, I forget exactly where it ends up; and the other way, across York Rd, it winds around and yes, almost joins up to the Warby trail between the Cog and York Rd. A nice little out and back detour from that point. Easier to find it from near IGA though.
 

·
nothing to see here
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
Looks interesting. I never even knew of it. Have you got any pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
No, sorry, I've not ridden it.

Andrew has but not for some time.. it's somewhere I've been meaning to get to (one day!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Stevob said:
Looks interesting. I never even knew of it. Have you got any pics?
It's nice, park on the Don Rd and take it all the way up to the weir. No real big hills, fairly scenic. About 65km round trip from memory. Saw a few lyre birds which were happy to see me.

First time posting pics!

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Atmosphere


Vegetation Nature Natural environment Plant Branch
 

·
nothing to see here
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
Definitely on my list now thanks to those pics cowleyd.

Congrats on the pic posting. Gold star for you.
 

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
Joined
·
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here's a crazy coindedence. Turns out my Uncle was planning to ride the O'Shannasey Aqueduct instead of Mt Evelyn anyways. So yes now I have ridden it.

Was cool. We rode the most well constructed part which is probably 10km one way, 10km back and flat but a nice ride. Has a lot of singletracks darting off it though so if you are allowed to ride those it would be sweet. Great views too.
 

·
nothing to see here
Joined
·
3,279 Posts
chumbox said:
Has a lot of singletracks darting off it though so if you are allowed to ride those it would be sweet. Great views too.
'sif not being allowed would discourage me. :aureola: :rolleyes: :ihih: :arf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Hey, I can actually comment on this one (O'Shannassy aquaduct). Ive ridden it twice with some mates from Healsville. Parked at Woori Yallock train station on the Warburton trail, headed to warburton then up into the hills to the aquaduct trail, then back to woori yallock. About 40kms from memory. One or two climbs but fairly steady easy going most of the way. A few small single tracks towards the end. Very pleasant ride.

Cheers
 

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
Joined
·
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Carver96er said:
Yes, with 'bells and whistle', coffee and muffins. The shop has the best views of any shop in Warby. Should be a big hit!!:thumbsup:
Was closed when I went past on Tues but can agree that it's location and views are great. Will do well as a coffee shop apart from the fact it's also a bike shop. It's literally smack bang on the warbie trail like the Mt Ev one.
 

·
Still learning
Joined
·
876 Posts
I suspect this may have been what I rode this yesterday. If so, maybe it was once a good trail, but frankly I found it to be one of the worst experiences riding ever. The trails are overgrown and there's leaf litter and large sticks and logs everywhere, many of which you can't see because of the overgrowth. This means it's simply not safe to ride them at any speed unless you're happy to accept a pretty good risk of going OTB, as there's a LOT of fallen trees and big logs to get over.
 

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
Joined
·
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
akashra said:
I suspect this may have been what I rode this yesterday. If so, maybe it was once a good trail, but frankly I found it to be one of the worst experiences riding ever. The trails are overgrown and there's leaf litter and large sticks and logs everywhere, many of which you can't see because of the overgrowth. This means it's simply not safe to ride them at any speed unless you're happy to accept a pretty good risk of going OTB, as there's a LOT of fallen trees and big logs to get over.
Wow where was that bit? The section I rode was pretty much gravelled fire trail next to an aqueduct? Sounds like you had a great day of cyclocross.
 

·
Still learning
Joined
·
876 Posts
chumbox said:
Wow where was that bit? The section I rode was pretty much gravelled fire trail next to an aqueduct? Sounds like you had a great day of cyclocross.
 

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
Joined
·
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh sorry I was on the O'Sahnnese Aqueduct in Warbie... makes sense now... sorry to hear it was so bad.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top