Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about we just go sailing when you come to San Diego in January? Whole lot less work and more relaxing then pounding climbs.
carter
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
Carter Taylor said:
How about we just go sailing when you come to San Diego in January? Whole lot less work and more relaxing then pounding climbs.
carter
now, what fun would that be? no hard work? more relaxing? it's the off-season, we're not supposed to be out relaxing and having fun! hee hee hee hee.

sailing sounds lovely!!

btw, i'll be in SD from 1/23 until 1/29. :)

rt
 

·
giddy up!
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
*rt* said:
btw, i'll be in SD from 1/23 until 1/29. :)

rt
You should let all of the Orange Countians know what day ya'll are riding so we can head down there and compare tan lines.

B
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
donkey said:
You should let all of the Orange Countians know what day ya'll are riding so we can head down there and compare tan lines.

B
LOL. no good tan lines this year. sorry. ;)

most likely i'll be out riding every day except 1/25. probably riding trails on 1/28 (the rest of the time i'll be playing roadie). :)

rt
 

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
Joined
·
253 Posts
Need a crew

Carter Taylor said:
How about we just go sailing when you come to San Diego in January? Whole lot less work and more relaxing then pounding climbs.
carter

If you really are up for sailing and need a crew let me know. If you need a boat I might even be able to arrange that too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...

I rent from Harbor Island Yacht Club. So you can handle a jib sheet? My wife would love somebody to help. She went from being my support in 24 hr races to handleing the jib sheets or jumping off the boat if I come into the dock too hot under sail, even having to sail the boat back to me after I stepped off in a show off move docking for lunch and the wind caught the bow of the boat, swung it away from me standing on the dock.
When *rt* comes, we'll take her sailing if she wants to go. I'd rather go sail, spend the time benchracing and comparing stories. Again, much easier and more relaxing then actually having to ride.
Last time I met her, we froze climbing from Pine Valley headed for Julian in cold , stormy weather on our road bikes. Again, my wife bailed me out when I shortened the ride and headed directly to Lake Cuyumaca store, she picked us up.
carter
 

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
Joined
·
253 Posts
Sure can...

...handle a tack or two. I used to belong to HIYC and was offering to get a boat from them but if you are a current member that is even better. Sailed with them for a couple years. Totally willing to join you and help out. Bareboated 3 times in the BVI (1 crew, 2 as skipper) so if you need a hand let me know. Always up for a sail and totally willing to just kick back and trim. Just make sure *rt* knows it is still a bit chilly on the water that time of year. :D
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
pedaling pyrate said:
...handle a tack or two. I used to belong to HIYC and was offering to get a boat from them but if you are a current member that is even better. Sailed with them for a couple years. Totally willing to join you and help out. Bareboated 3 times in the BVI (1 crew, 2 as skipper) so if you need a hand let me know. Always up for a sail and totally willing to just kick back and trim. Just make sure *rt* knows it is still a bit chilly on the water that time of year. :D
excellent! i am completely useless as a sailor. about all i can contribute is some dead weight and the ability to drink a beer or 2. ;)

chilly? can't be much chillier than that ride Carter and i did 2 years ago. brrrr that was chilly!

rt
 

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
Joined
·
253 Posts
Great

*rt* said:
excellent! i am completely useless as a sailor. about all i can contribute is some dead weight and the ability to drink a beer or 2. ;)
*rt* said:
Well, sailors can always use weight on the rails when the wind picks up so that is fine!

*rt* said:
chilly? can't be much chillier than that ride Carter and i did 2 years ago. brrrr that was chilly!
*rt* said:
I am sure it isn't that chilly but just didn't want you thinking it was the Bahamas and end up freezing. The water temp that time of year is mid to low 50's and when the wind picks up it can make things a little colder than expected. :D Just like riding...layers are a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can learn from you....

I am certified to 25', but am actually taking the Costal Cruising class this coming weekend. I can sail up to 32' if I do not totally screw up this class and not pass it.
Bareboat Chartering would be next, maybe this summer. Already studying Navigation.
My sailing goal is to rent a boat in Long Beach, take a week sailing vacation to Catalina with my wife. My wife volunteers with a camp on Catalina every summer at Toyan Bay, Christy (runs the camp) said we could anchor there, as long as I take her husband sailing while there.
I have no doubt *rt* can handle her end of the venture, just show her which way to wrap the winch. She can also handle her share of benchracing, or compare scars..... She's tough!
Look forward to meeting you and sailing together.
Carter
 

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
Joined
·
253 Posts
Sounds good.

I was certified through their 32' range but have skippered 45' catamarans in the BVI. I didn't push it with HIYC as I really didn't think I would be paying the fees they wanted for the larger boats in general so I never messed with it.

Catalina would be a great trip. I quit HIYC before they started there program with the club up there. It is nice as it cuts off at least one full day of a charter to get to Catalina from SD and makes the return trip much shorter as well. You will enjoy bareboating as well.

I took the basic and advanced coastal navigation from the USCG aux. They had classes at Southwestern YC. It was free other than paying for nav tools and charts. I just picked up a class schedule from the office on Harbor Drive if you want to check them out.

Yes, I have read *rt*'s posts and see pics. I am sure that sailing will be fine for her. Just didn't want her to be cold as once you are out there you can't just jump ship. I am glad it is sailing that we are talking about as she would leave me in the dirt when it comes to riding. :D

I have the dates on my calander that she is here so just keep me posted or send a PM. I am in Ocean Beach so I can get there quick. Just need to make sure I have the date open.
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
how 'bout a tentative plan for the 26th?

after the 25th i'm free and easy (i'm "attending" a conference all week but i will be done with my presentations by the end of the day on the 25th). it would be a good way to decompress from 3 hrs of lecturing to strangers.

Pedaling Pyrate: i'll be in Pacific Beach right down the street from you! let me know if you want to hook up for a road ride on the 24th.

rt
 

·
paintbucket
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
Carter Taylor said:
just show her which way to wrap the winch.
I was waiting for that. I wonder if she knows what she's in for. Nothing like a good upper body workout.

wooglin (former grinder extraordinaire, but not good for much else).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thursday the 26th....

I'll let Sandra know.
Pyrate, date OK? E-mailed you contact info using this site. Let me know if you do not get.
Winter Fling SD1 in early stage
 

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
Joined
·
253 Posts
Sounds good

Thursday the 26th. It is on my calendar. Just keep me posted about a time and boat cost etc. I did get the e-mail message too.

*rt* - riding midweek other than early am before work is hard as I am a 8-5'er for work so a ride on the 24th will be difficult as it is dark after 5. I am requesting the day off for the sail and can't really take two days off in the same week. My morning rides start at 6am for an hour if that works for you. :D

FYI- these boats are pretty small and the "grinding" on the winches isn't that tough. I do recommend putting down your beer first though. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Talk about grinding....

a couple weekends ago, I was on a starboard tack down by the Midway, the "Stars and Stripes" over took me on the same tack and passed me about 10 yards windward. I had never seen her this close before, she was beutiful. You can pay to spend an afternoon on her. No, I did not pull in my sails and try to keep up with her. It would be like, Lance Armstrong attacking from behind you on a climb, no chance at all. We will make sure that we take a bigger boat though, with an indoor head, especially if a beer or two is going to be downed.
 

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
Joined
·
253 Posts
IACC Boats

are simply amazing. Like any specialized sport...they are out of our class. Their tacking angle is so extreme it blows your mind. Your comparison to attempting to catch Lance is a good one.

Ever heard the comment that most MOB (man overboard) rescues are done for men with their flies down? Seems they didn't use the head or didn't have one and.... :D For *rt*'s sake I think it would be good to have a boat with an indoor head. :D
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
pedaling pyrate said:
Thursday the 26th. It is on my calendar. Just keep me posted about a time and boat cost etc. I did get the e-mail message too.

*rt* - riding midweek other than early am before work is hard as I am a 8-5'er for work so a ride on the 24th will be difficult as it is dark after 5. I am requesting the day off for the sail and can't really take two days off in the same week. My morning rides start at 6am for an hour if that works for you. :D

FYI- these boats are pretty small and the "grinding" on the winches isn't that tough. I do recommend putting down your beer first though. :D
oof. 6am rides after tuesday (i.e., once my body has adjusted to pacific time) will definitely not be happening for me! ;)

oh, i have to put my beer down to work? hmph. :D

rt
 

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
Joined
·
253 Posts
I agree..

6am sucks but it is the only time I get to ride during the week. The company I work for took out the shower so commuting is difficult. :mad: I ride on casual days and when it is cooler but those times are limited here.

I do recommend putting the beer down to grind the winch! Not required but definitely recommended! :D
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top