Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Pauliemon, I was looking at some older posts and saw a picture of your El Toro with a Fox fork. What fork were you running and did you like it?

I have the bug to do some reworking on my El Toro and I am thinking about the Fox 80mm FX.

All input is welcome.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah that was a first generation F80X. It was a great performing fork, really stiff. I had a few problems with it but like I said it was first generation. Hypnotoad in New Zealand bought the frame and fork and as far as I know they are still both going strong.

That bike weighed in at about 23.5 lbs. with UST tires and CrossMax wheels. It was just a solid fun bike,...geez I think I'm gettin' misty eyed. :(

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
11 Bravo said:
Hey Pauliemon, I was looking at some older posts and saw a picture of your El Toro with a Fox fork. What fork were you running and did you like it?

I have the bug to do some reworking on my El Toro and I am thinking about the Fox 80mm FX.

All input is welcome.
not on an El Toro but the Fox F80X, in my humble opinion, is the suspension fork to beat for a bike like that. I love mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have been remodeling the house and putting a new transmission in my truck, so there has been no bike budget for a while.

I have a ton of stuff left on the house project so a new bike is not in the cards for a while, but I think I can manage some long desired upgrades to the El Toro.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
11 Bravo said:
Thanks for the replies. I have been remodeling the house and putting a new transmission in my truck, so there has been no bike budget for a while.

I have a ton of stuff left on the house project so a new bike is not in the cards for a while, but I think I can manage some long desired upgrades to the El Toro.
I hear ya. I've been working at the bike shop a lot lately. So now I'm way behind on my house projects. I don't have to get the new rain gutters up before it rains. Now I have to get them up before it stops raining.

That's another problem when it stops raining. The wife looks out the window and says,"Oh look honey it stopped raining. Maybe now you can go out and put up the gutters?" As my truck rolls down the driveway with my bike in the back. :p

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
other fork options

11 Bravo said:

All input is welcome.
i started with an RLT80 on mine. i went to a talas for more versatility in terms of types of terrain (xc or technical) and uphill vs. flat vs. DH riding. i am surprised that i never run it below 4" anymore and the 'bull' is fully capable of handling what 5" can dish out, for example, railing down Amasa or Porcupine, esp. with 2.35" and 2.5" tires. now, i would like to push it to control brake dive a bit.

a friend just put a marathon xc (externally adj. 100-120) on his SS and it looks very promising too. it is basically an AM1 on a smaller chassis. it has the TST cartridge, which allows you to tune (on the fly) slow speed dampening, meaning that while standing and hammering you can tune out rider induced movement. Or you tune it to that uber-plush zocchi feel for screaming descents. i think you can pick up the 05s pretty cheap still.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dirtbag said:
i started with an RLT80 on mine. i went to a talas for more versatility in terms of types of terrain (xc or technical) and uphill vs. flat vs. DH riding. i am surprised that i never run it below 4" anymore and the 'bull' is fully capable of handling what 5" can dish out, for example, railing down Amasa or Porcupine, esp. with 2.35" and 2.5" tires. now, i would like to push it to control brake dive a bit.

a friend just put a marathon xc (externally adj. 100-120) on his SS and it looks very promising too. it is basically an AM1 on a smaller chassis. it has the TST cartridge, which allows you to tune (on the fly) slow speed dampening, meaning that while standing and hammering you can tune out rider induced movement. Or you tune it to that uber-plush zocchi feel for screaming descents. i think you can pick up the 05s pretty cheap still.
Thanks for the input dirtbag. One of the things that have turned this into a pressing issue is that I had the chance to pick up a lightly used F80X for a good price. I wanted to ask about it first before I agreed to buy it. It would have really been the sh#ts to burn most of my meager bike stash money on a fork and then find out it really isn't a good choice. It is pretty much a done deal now, so that is the fork I will be running. The bike has a Rock Shock SID on it now that I have never really liked. I think it will be a good upgrade.

It seems that once these things get started they are hard to stop. I have a Thompson stem stashed away for it and I will have to order up a King headset now to replace the Cane Creek. I was going to put a White Ind. freewheel on it about a year ago and have not done that yet, so now seems like a good time for that too. Come to think of it, I sure like the look of those White hubs too, and a new set of wheels would really be nice...................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.