Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
well sand all of the old paint off of your frame, then use a primer let that dry, then spray your bike with spraypaint, if you want to do it like mine. I used krylon paint it looks really good imo
the paint is kinda soft so be careful not to scratch it but if you do just respray it.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MTB4Life said:
well sand all of the old paint off of your frame, then use a primer let that dry, then spray your bike with spraypaint, if you want to do it like mine. I used krylon paint it looks really good imo
the paint is kinda soft so be careful not to scratch it but if you do just respray it.
what if you use another clear layer of paint on top so it doesn't scratch, would that work?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
can control is everything !!

JBsoxB said:
how excatly did you do it?

i was thinking of painting mine black, but matte black, i have no idea even where to start though...
If you want the hotrod look but don't feel like paying the $$$$ for powder coat , my quick secrect is get the .99 orchard supply matte black spray paint , and a new newspaper .

Now prepration is everything so clean that frame as best as possible and lightly rough the surface with a metal scotch bright pad , wipe the frame with Acetone or rubbing alochol to clean the surface after you have brought it to bare metal .

Now after letting the cleaner evaporate , spray the frame with a light coat keeping the cap about 12in from the frame , after letting this coat dry start sploching it a bit by spraying in short bursts every few seconds and letting these dry ( hard to explain ) now after the bike is almost dry rub it down with the newspaper to dull the paint and smoothe everything out.

You may have to do this a few time but after a few light coats you should get the desirder effect , and let it dry in a warm area for at least 24hrs . no clear coat with matte black either .

Check out this bike it was rattlecaned in the process above .
Good luck !!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I've painted Sam Hill's prototype Sunday frame, three prototype Mountain Cycles shown at Sea Otter last weekend, two custom links for a prototype Stork Organic, and the swingarm on my 9.5 all with a couple cans of Krylon ultra flat black. It dries in seconds and is fool proof, even for a fool like me. Just spray it on, try to not get any runs, and you have a perfect finish in a couple minutes. Doesn't even need primer.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evil4bc said:
If you want the hotrod look but don't feel like paying the $$$$ for powder coat , my quick secrect is get the .99 orchard supply matte black spray paint , and a new newspaper .

Now prepration is everything so clean that frame as best as possible and lightly rough the surface with a metal scotch bright pad , wipe the frame with Acetone or rubbing alochol to clean the surface after you have brought it to bare metal .

Now after letting the cleaner evaporate , spray the frame with a light coat keeping the cap about 12in from the frame , after letting this coat dry start sploching it a bit by spraying in short bursts every few seconds and letting these dry ( hard to explain ) now after the bike is almost dry rub it down with the newspaper to dull the paint and smoothe everything out.

You may have to do this a few time but after a few light coats you should get the desirder effect , and let it dry in a warm area for at least 24hrs . no clear coat with matte black either .

Check out this bike it was rattlecaned in the process above .
Good luck !!
is that a doc or a sovergn?

also, can i see a few close ups?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
not an Evil ......Nemesis Project cycles

JBsoxB said:
is that a doc or a sovergn?

also, can i see a few close ups?
The frame is a Nemesis Project streetfighter
Here are a few more pics ... check out the shot of the headtube before paint !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
hahaha aaaahhhhhhh I Fing hate netscape !!!!

TWISTED said:
Hahaha, I hope YOU know what a Sovereign looks like. ;)
It's Landon's Tonic Fab Fall Guy. I work with him at MC / KUSA.
Sorry ever since MTBR switched to the new format I can't see any of the pics , even my own that I post . So when you posted the pic I had to guess ..... hahaha

Oh well how are the Tonic's coming ? Is Landon building them at Nover's fun house ?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I did .......

JBsoxB said:
mabye i should go lime green!
Why are you english?

MD Bullit said:
you definitely should have kept the raw finish. I'm a sucker for those raw finish bikes.
Personally I love raw bikes , so yes I did leave it raw . I only rode the black frame for like 2 weeks untill the production streetfighters were done .
Here are a few more pic's of the raw bike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Evil4bc said:
Sorry ever since MTBR switched to the new format I can't see any of the pics , even my own that I post . So when you posted the pic I had to guess ..... hahaha

Oh well how are the Tonic's coming ? Is Landon building them at Nover's fun house ?
High-tech!
Sold out.
Not likely. You're kidding, right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.