Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lee -

a) if you're collecting names, put me on your list for bike patrol next summer...I ran into someboday at a race who was doing it this summer and they said it's a hoot! (Sorry I don't remember who told me that)

b) I've seen many of your pretty graphics of various rides you've done with altitude at heart rate...and I'm in the market for a new HRM...what unit do you have, is it the one you would recommend, or maybe is there something else you wish you had purchased?

Thanks
Tom

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Yo Tom - How was your Whistler trip?

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whistler Trip Rocked!

4 days in Whistler, great weather...tried in DH'ing for the first time, man those guys are amazing...I've got photos of me doing jumps with at least 3 or 4 inches of air, with guys next to me getting 10 feet! Also tried some of their trails through the forest, way to difficult for me, I walked much of it...made me feel like a first timer on a bike!

Then, 1 day riding outside of Seattle, very cool trails.

Last, 1 day riding in Southern Washington on the "Lewis River Trail" near Mt. St. Helens...maybe my favorite single track ever! narrrow, twisty, smooth with some techie stuff, and by far the most beautimus ride ever...

All in all a great trip!

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
rapwithtom said:
All in all a great trip!
Nice! I'm getting married in Olympia next month and headed to Whistler for the honeymoon. I'm allowed an afternoon honeymoon from the honeymoon with a rental bike. Very exciting stuff all around.

Any suggestions? Tips? Also, where did you ride near Seattle?

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whistler Recommendations...

...I have too many recommendations to list...I have been to whistler tons, and I was a ski bum there for 2 different winters, so if you have any questions, just ask. Here are a few highlights:

- I may be able to hook you up with a condo for cheap, depending on when and/or your needs. Let me know if you are interested.

- DH bikes are really expensive to rent, like US$75 per day or so (I don't remember exactly) but it's like that everywhere in Whistler, so I don't know if it's a good use of time shopping around...on a good note the DH bikes are top of the line Konas...

- DH'ing on the mountain is pretty amazing, try to do it weekdays to avoid the crowds and - yes, it's true - lift lines of MTB'ers. "A-Line" is the bomb, don't miss it.

- I didn't find any epic XC rides, it's not what they're into up there. We have nothing here like their trials course like "A River Runs Through It"...quite an experience, though too hard for me..all of these are no more than a 10 minute ride from the village, get a map up there.

- Fun XC trails at the Nordic Ski Center, make sure to check it out

- Check out the dirt jumps and the trials practice area near the skate park

Seattle:
We rode in a park in Carnation NE of Seattle, I don't remember the name but go to Carnation and ask at a gas station, it's a big park. 10's of really fun short loops through the forest.

Olympia:
Well Mt. St. Helens is not far, where I road Lewis River Trail, or another famous one is "Plains of Abraham"...

Ask if you have any specific questions!

Tom

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...for only 1 afternoon of riding...

...rent DH bike, armor, helmet, and pay the big $$$ and hit the mountain! A half day is plenty to really beat yourself up...

...and tell me if you don't agree with me that those trails and riders are several levels above anything in Colorado...I was stunned...

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Thanks! Or as they say in Canada, Merci!

rapwithtom said:
...rent DH bike, armor, helmet, and pay the big $$$ and hit the mountain! A half day is plenty to really beat yourself up...

...and tell me if you don't agree with me that those trails and riders are several levels above anything in Colorado...I was stunned...
Wow, great info... I was pretty much looking for a few mountains, and everyone's heard of A Line, so that's prolly where I'll end up. One more wimpy XC rider clogging the trails up there.

Any advice on non-bike, non-bedroom activities for a couple days up there? A hike to not be missed, or something along those lines?

I've been able to rent several times in Oly, Capital Forest there is a blast. So many ferns...

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ideas...

...vancouver: lunch on Granville Island at the big market (kinda like a farmers' market), pretty cool and the ms. will like it also. Lots of art galleries etc. right there. It's right downtown, under the Granville Bridge.

whistler area:
all the usual mountain activities are offered: rafting, fishing, etc. Take the lift up Blackcomb and go for a long hike. We enjoyed Jet Boating out of Pemberton (sign up in the Gondola building on the opposite side of where you rent bikes). (If you do that, take a photo of the bulldozer scoop that says "Mark is gay" for my friend..) Dinner: lots and lots of good restaurants, Val D'Isere is one of the best and another fantastic one is RimRock, which is very romantic and always full on Valentine's, but there are 100's, and a lot of very good ones. For Sushi I recommend "Sushi Ya".

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Patrolling and HRM answers

rapwithtom said:
Lee -

a) if you're collecting names, put me on your list for bike patrol next summer...I ran into someboday at a race who was doing it this summer and they said it's a hoot! (Sorry I don't remember who told me that)

b) I've seen many of your pretty graphics of various rides you've done with altitude at heart rate...and I'm in the market for a new HRM...what unit do you have, is it the one you would recommend, or maybe is there something else you wish you had purchased?

Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I was on vacation in SW Colorado. We had a great time, but I didn't get much chance to connect. (Hotel phone charges are retardedly high.)

For the patrol, if you want to get involved, you can start now by coming to our next group meeting and talking to some of us in person. Personally, I think all riding is a hoot, and patrolling is just another great format where you can ride and give someting back at the same time.

As far as the HRM, I use a Polar 720i. I see Polar has actually come out with a newer model, the 725i. I can't tell from the ads what the 725 does that the 720 does not, but I'm sure there's one or two (or more) improvements. If you have many bucks, go for a 725. If you're on a budget, I bet you could get a 720 use on "that auction site" or the mtbr classifieds if you tried. Other older models also download, if you're on an even tighter budget, but they aren't supported any more by Polar (i.e. you won't get any new software updates, but they'll still work on them if you want).

The 720i I have keeps track of elevation, speed (with a remote sensor), and of course heart rate. It has a zillion options for heart rate, including setting up intervals, zones, etc. I don't use most of that. :) I had to purchase an RS-232 infrared detector for my PC to get this to work. (I actually have it working on an Apple laptop running Virtual PC, but you don't want to know the details of that ordeal, I'm sure.)

To upload the pictures, I actually had to take a screen shot of the display, since the Polar software doesn't have any kind of save or export options. (To be honest, the Polar software is kind of 80's, but it works, and they have periodic updates on their web site.)

Wow ... I should get a commision from NMBP and Polar!

Also, your vacation sounded fun. I'm too chicked to do any stunts (or take any chances), at my age. I used up all my spare lives motocrossing when I was a few years younger -- now I just want to have fun and make it to work on Monday morning (preferably with nothing broken on me or the bike).

Email me about the patrol, if you wish, at [email protected].

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.