Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing autotrader.com and noticed this sweet looking GTi right near me! I figure it's pretty much what I want in a car and is under $6k. Just curious if you think it's a pretty decent deal on a pretty decent car.

Here

Anybody else feel free to voice your opinions too. I think I might try and get my mom to have us go take a look at it. :D :)

See most of ya tomorrow morning. :)

Tony

·
Registered
770 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
I was browsing autotrader.com and noticed this sweet looking GTi right near me! I figure it's pretty much what I want in a car and is under $6k. Just curious if you think it's a pretty decent deal on a pretty decent car.

Here

Anybody else feel free to voice your opinions too. I think I might try and get my mom to have us go take a look at it. :D :)

See most of ya tomorrow morning. :)

Tony
I've owned a couple of gti's and I never found the A3(the one your looking at) as much fun as the A2's. You can find an older gti before 92 for cheap but you have to look hard. The peppier gti's are the 16 valve 4 cyclinders with the motronic ignition. I've had a 98 vr6 and a 91 8v digifant. The vr6 had a lot more horses and sounded quite cool but the seats were super uncomfortable! The older 16v models came with recaro seats which are pretty nice. The A2's are really really light and you can throw them hard into a corner whereas the vr6's are quite a bit heavier and I don't feel they are as "fun" to drive. Plus aren't you like 16? Insurance will kill you in that car. But your choice! Enjoy!

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
preparation_h said:
I've owned a couple of gti's and I never found the A3(the one your looking at) as much fun as the A2's. You can find an older gti before 92 for cheap but you have to look hard. The peppier gti's are the 16 valve 4 cyclinders with the motronic ignition. I've had a 98 vr6 and a 91 8v digifant. The vr6 had a lot more horses and sounded quite cool but the seats were super uncomfortable! The older 16v models came with recaro seats which are pretty nice. The A2's are really really light and you can throw them hard into a corner whereas the vr6's are quite a bit heavier and I don't feel they are as "fun" to drive. Plus aren't you like 16? Insurance will kill you in that car. But your choice! Enjoy!
Thanks for the reply. I figure the insurance thing will be probably the worst thing, but if we find one that's cheap enough to pay off we'll probably just get liability on it. (All this if we do actually get one, :p ) I think being that we're in Colorado and if I did get one it'd be my main car I'd want it to be a bit heavier so that it would hold a bit more traction on snow/rain/dirt ya know? Not sure if it'd make that much difference but it'd give me false sense of security. :p I was browsing my paper's classifieds and saw a '95 Golf III for slightly under $3k, and then a '95 GTI 6cyl (I'm guessing vr6?) for $3700. The last one I listed would be perfect, the ad says it's a 5spd, has a ski rack, 6cd player, and about 127k miles on it. Who knows if I'll even get one, I still gotta propose it to my mom. :p

·
Registered
619 Posts
yo dog, you dissin' me....

your supposed to buy my jeep ! :eek:

you cant fit a bike in a gti (take it easy on me here fellas, im sure some of you have)

its great in the snow, and dirt and has room for your bike AND gear.

plus for you tony ill throw in a maintenance agreement!! cant beat that

mike

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
preparation_h said:
haha, I like how you bring up the insurance payment thing...as if Tony actually pays for anything.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
you want lighter

COmtbiker12 said:
Thanks for the reply. I figure the insurance thing will be probably the worst thing, but if we find one that's cheap enough to pay off we'll probably just get liability on it. (All this if we do actually get one, :p ) I think being that we're in Colorado and if I did get one it'd be my main car I'd want it to be a bit heavier so that it would hold a bit more traction on snow/rain/dirt ya know? Not sure if it'd make that much difference but it'd give me false sense of security. :p I was browsing my paper's classifieds and saw a '95 Golf III for slightly under $3k, and then a '95 GTI 6cyl (I'm guessing vr6?) for $3700. The last one I listed would be perfect, the ad says it's a 5spd, has a ski rack, 6cd player, and about 127k miles on it. Who knows if I'll even get one, I still gotta propose it to my mom. :p
lighter is always better than heavier, doesn't matter what the conditions are. It takes less engine and brakes to move/ stop a lighter car, plus it will get better gas mileage and be more fun to throw around. I don't understand where the heavier = better traction ever came from, especially w/ a fwd car, where the bulk of the weight is already over the drive wheels.
Your mission should be to find a rabbit gti. :D

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DanD said:
haha, I like how you bring up the insurance payment thing...as if Tony actually pays for anything.
haha, good point. :D

Although I've been told I need a job in order to upgrade

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wildman said:
your supposed to buy my jeep ! :eek:

you cant fit a bike in a gti (take it easy on me here fellas, im sure some of you have)

its great in the snow, and dirt and has room for your bike AND gear.

plus for you tony ill throw in a maintenance agreement!! cant beat that

mike
Your Jeep's awesome Mike, it's just more money than I can pay (I meaning parents but me paying for something somehow :confused: )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.