Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be up in Van in a few days and was wondering what a good loop of fromme would be. Specifically a good place to park and some loops to do. Which trails are better to ride "up"?

I have the maps from nsmba and gutsplodder that help to show the trails and where parking does not cause local conflict. I would like to ride upper oilcan for sure and then...???

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Not Jim or Craig, however...

Bullrider said:
I will be up in Van in a few days and was wondering what a good loop of fromme would be. Specifically a good place to park and some loops to do. Which trails are better to ride "up"?

I have the maps from nsmba and gutsplodder that help to show the trails and where parking does not cause local conflict. I would like to ride upper oilcan for sure and then...???

Thanks for any help you can provide.
...I can certainly give you information on riding on Fromme:

First off, unless you're riding an XC bike, you'll want to ride up the gravel access road which continues onward from the end of Mountain Hwy. It is the best way to access the trails on Fromme. Park along side Mountain highway or on one of the side streets, below the bright orange "no parking above" signs. The ride up the paved road to the gravel road will take about 5-10 minutes. This is actually the steepest part of the climb - the gravel road climb can be done with a single middle ring even on a bike bike.

There are many excellent trails on Mt. Fromme and which ones you ride and enjoy will depend upon your riding ability. Upper Oilcan is for sure a classic and also merges with many other lower trails. Some good combinations are:

Seventh Secret to Lepoard to Crinkum-Crankum to Another Road Side Attraction (or the Griffen)
Upper Oil Can to lots of different trails: Either Pink Starfish, Espresso, Pipeline or Ladies Only make good second choices after Upper Oilcan. Finish off with Lower Ladies, Lower Skull, Lower Crippler (excellent, newly constructed stunts), Digger, or Boundary. Boundary is a good trail to ride after finishing Pink starfish.

Some things to check out: Famous moves like the Big Stupid, Semi Retarded, and Private Property are on the Upper Skull trail, which most people think is the bottom of Ladies Only. Not huge by today's standards, but still lots of fun.

Trails like Circus, Grovula, Air Supply, Jury Rig, Whatcha Ma'callit and other "Serious" trails are cool to check out, but pretty serious to ride with nasty consequences for failure.

Have fun!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for all the info. Just wanted to confirm a few things with a "local expert"... and without a doubt you fit that description! Good luck with the bike(s) and I hope to check one out someday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts