Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
5,280 feet
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've been tantalizing and teasing us with sneak peeks at 2008. So spill it! What's the dish on the Iggy Super? The new low-end Asta? 29er news? How about colors? Speak to us, man!

:thumbsup:

:p :p :p

·
5,280 feet
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ibexbikes said:
"We wants it, we needs it. Must have the Preciousss."

Here's a roough sketch of the new Ignition frame... 120mm travel front & rear... more later...
:eekster:

Yum! Uninterrupted seatpost as promised :thumbsup: And 4.75 inches front and rear :D

All mountain luvins!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
dayum!

Didn't take long for him to pull that teaser!!

Now ya got me wunderin, jack...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Bizzy bizzy

Regular work has been really bizzy, and they have blocked employees access to personal email providers as well as certain websites to include those that have forums. As you can see, this has had a huge impact on my presence here. In addition I've been blessed with a ton of music work, and I'm not in a position to turn any of it down :thumbsup: I've let francois and gregg know about the impact it's having on my time here, and that I still want to be a mod. They're fine with it, so I'll be sticking around. Things should settle down soon, and you'll see me here on a more regular basis than you have in the past few months. probably never again as much as when I had access at work, but regular none the less.

How's things on your end? Gimme a call on the cell when you have a chance.

Bob

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Jack, I hope you dont mind but I've been playing in my color book :D
Back to the drawing board... unlike the recent Asta's, rear triangles on the Ignitions will be painted to match the fronts. We will probably use some Sand colors (ala current Atlas series)... likely some Gloss colors too. Probably only one selection for the IGN-1 (Gloss?), choice of two colors each on IGN-2 & 3 (one Gloss & one Sand for each) and one for IGN-SUPER (Sand). It's not settled yet, but it's a decision I expect to make based on my own protocol for juxtaposing color choices both within the Ignition series and against other models in our line-up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A full matt black ( of any bike ) is always a good seller . I own 5 Matt black bikes . And hoping to add a black Atlas to the stable soon .
BTW This frame looks great . Has a Kona Dawg "look" in the way the suspension is set up . Just told a couple of buddies that are looking at Konas to give this frame a look at for next year .

cheers

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
mtbikedroid said:
is the Atlas staying the same?
Sorry, no info on the 2008 Atlas yet. Igniton's & Asta's will be launched sometime October-December... Atlas' not until after the 1st of the year. So, Ignition's & Asta's are 1st priority.

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Jack,

The new design looks promising on the IGGY..In a previous thread there was mention of
the ALP getting a frame makeover also..Any chance you have a picture or sketch you'd
be willing to share?

TIA..

Jake
I don't have a photo or presentable drawing yet. However, it's really simple to imagine. Walk outside and look at your '07 Trophy (for those who don't have one of those like Jake, take a look at it on www.ibexbikes.com). Now picture it with a more typical tapered chain-stay instead of the bladed/wing-shaped one. Other differences are hardly noticeable except on close inspection. Head angle will be slightly slacker and top-tube is round instead of aero/oval, but otherwise the new Alpine is very, very close to the latest Trophy. '08 Alpine frame material will be double-butted 6061 while '08 Trophy will be triple-butted 6069. The current Trophy frame is still nicer, of course, but the new Alpine jumps to the level of the previous generation Trophy (or maybe beyond)... meaning very, very nice and not what you'd normally expect on bikes in their price-range. We'd originally planned to revamp the Alpine line by using the existing 2006 Trophy frame design, but found that we could employ the newer Trophy frame style by making just a few changes.

I have to say, as pleased as I have been with our 2007 line-up, I think we are upping our game across the board for 2008. Prices are going to be up a little bit, but they would have been anyway due to increases in component costs and raw materials. However, we're also improving frames and/or raising component specs on almost every model. For example, the Alpine 550 would probably have gone up to $529 (from $499) if we'd just kept the specs the same. Instead, we'll be bringing it out at something like $569 with the new frame, SRAM X5 drivetrain and a Marzocchi MZ Race fork. IMO, you're getting more than $70 worth of improvements versus the same thing for $30 more if we'd left it alone. I like to think of this as "sweet-spot engineering". When we can do a whole lot more by spending just a little more, we can often hit a "sweet spot" that makes for an outstanding value. (fade out... end commercial)

Regards,
Jack

1 - 20 of 49 Posts