Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hex - I've got the same downtube clearance issue with my Reba Race - ie, if my front spins, that adj knob is gonna smack my DT. I know you converted the floodgate adjustment from external to internal. No big loss there in my book. 1) Did you just order the part from RS? 2) How much? 3) Was it easy to swap out?

Without the big floodgate gold knob on top and with a little dremel work to the blue lockout knob, it should clear just fine.

Let me know. Thanks! S

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not the Dremal!

DSR said:
Hex - I've got the same downtube clearance issue with my Reba Race - ie, if my front spins, that adj knob is gonna smack my DT. I know you converted the floodgate adjustment from external to internal. No big loss there in my book. 1) Did you just order the part from RS? 2) How much? 3) Was it easy to swap out?

Without the big floodgate gold knob on top and with a little dremel work to the blue lockout knob, it should clear just fine.

Let me know. Thanks! S
I thought about doing the same thing with the dremel. I'm not sure how it would turn out. If you take the Gate knob off, and the lockout ring off you will notice the spindle for the gate knob goes down inside the fork. When I did that air came out, I'm not sure if it was in there from shipping or what. However I have to say It cleared the down tube . . . Can't adjust anything, but cleared none-the-less. Then the thought about dremeling off that plastic part coming into your mind, then you figure out that's the lip where that pin clip goes. I work at a bike shop, so since it was new they just swapped it out. I think Quality Bike Products carries the internal adjustment units. I think it was a favor to the bike shop, so this method might be impractice if you don't work at a shop, or have friends in the know. On the other hand the one I got was clearly one another fork at one time, but beggers can't be choosers at this point, and they bent over backwards to help. You might call SRAM. Since it's an upgrade to have that external adjustment I figure if your setup is still new you should be able to trade. If you have good friends at your LBS, you can probably get them to "Finagle" one for you.

I takes about 10 minutes to do. I think it takes a 24mm socket, they run about $4.99, but I also found 15/16 work, and is a better fit, and is a dollar cheaper :) It takes 3 tools, that micro small allen for the Gate knob, and c-clip pin tool, and a 24mm socket. Take the knob off, then take the c-clip off, then you can take off the lockout ring, after you do that find the rubber o-ring, you'll need that because they won't send you one. The unscrew the the unit with the 24mm, or 15/16" socket. It not in very hard, then just reassemble. It's that easy. Oh yea depending on how much oil you take out on the unit when you pull it you might have to add some. That's about it. It's doesn't exacly clear. when the fork comes around the dust cap just scuffs the bottom, actually it rotate as it passes under. No big woop though. It's just barely rubbing, but it's not a dent. I saw the 2 fork crown race stack method, but it doesn't look good to me . . . Once you point it out, like anybody would notice. Finding the internal adjuster might be hard part. I'm sure if you find someone with a SL . . . all be it a 26", or 29" they will be more that happy to swap.

It think that part might retail for around $70. I don't think I'd dremel it because that knob holds the adjustment spindle up, and I can't really tell you what would happen if your oil will leak through it or not. I think I'd go with the 2 crown race fix till the part came in if your in a real fix. Tell me what you think, or how it turns out.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I looks like

DSR said:

Let me know. Thanks! S
This is what the piece looks like. (AT least without the external knob, this is the old one) I can't tell what would happen if you modified it, I'm almost sure wouldn't be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks Hex. I actually got in touch with SRAM and they're hooking me up. My lockout didn't work out of the box, so it had to go back under warranty. I asked them if they could switch out the external for an internal (and convert from 80 to 100mm) while it was in and they said yes. So we'll see what it looks like when it gets back. Hopefully it clears. If not, then throwing another crown race underneath should do it. Thanks again! S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.