Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure of riding with "Garrett" (I hope I'm spelling it correctly), in Gunnison, at Hartman Rocks.

Garrett, if you're there, post a reply. I'd love to ride with you on the front range, if you get a chance to visit some day.

BTW, to others that read this, if you ever get a chance, check this place out. Zillions of options, easy to get lost, nice desert riding. (Kind of like the Book Cliffs area of Fruita.) This is where the 24 Hours of Gunnison is held, btw.

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
I've heard good things about that place...

A rider I know from Estes has a rider friend who lives there. There's some hardcore types that ride there at Hartman's that do drops, skinnies and such: soulds like a cool place.

What's the elevation like there, Lee, and how's the midday heat this time of year?

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
lived there for 10 years and miss it badly, great riding and you are right some crazy folks riding some crazy drops (they keep making up new stuff to ride).. the elevation is 7700 ft and this time of year is nice, not too hot...gunnison rarely hits 90 even in the heat of the summer, but it feels hotter, no smog i guess...would highly recommend hartmans when you have the chance, lots of fun and most trails can be ridden in both direction so its not so bad not knowing your way around..

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gunnison is cool (but hot)

daveM said:
A rider I know from Estes has a rider friend who lives there. There's some hardcore types that ride there at Hartman's that do drops, skinnies and such: soulds like a cool place.

What's the elevation like there, Lee, and how's the midday heat this time of year?
My HRM data says about 7-8k.

I finished riding about 10AM, and it was about 80 degrees. It can get hot there. (It was overcast and threatening to sprinkle when I was there, so it wasn't too bad.)

I got some maps at Tomichi Cycles (near the start of main street, 104 Main I think). They were very helpful. They told me that a local rider took 12 hours to ride every trail out there, so there's a few. (Note: I tried to follow the race course, but it's near impossible, since there are dozens of turns & intersections.)

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
LeeMan said:
k.

.. They told me that a local rider took 12 hours to ride every trail out there, so there's a few.

while i respect the tomichi cycles crew, i will disagree with that statement....there are so many trails out there it would be near impossible to ride them all in a day, the trails just keep going and can actually connect to lake city (60 miles away)

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may be right, but ...

billybobzia said:
LeeMan said:
k.

.. They told me that a local rider took 12 hours to ride every trail out there, so there's a few.

while i respect the tomichi cycles crew, i will disagree with that statement....there are so many trails out there it would be near impossible to ride them all in a day, the trails just keep going and can actually connect to lake city (60 miles away)
I didn't dispute them, since (1) I'm not a local, (2) they don't know me from jack (and vice versa), (3) I'd never been there before, and (4) the kind of riders that can ride the Leadville Trail 100 in 7 hours probably could ride that area in 12 hours. :)

I was mainly asking how big the area was, i.e. is this place big enough to get a good ride in, and the response from Tomichi was basically "it's pretty big". They were right (as it sounds like you know first hand).

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
i think maybe they were talking about riding all the trails on the map in 12 hours, but there are so many that aren't on it...glad you enjoyed it, might make it down this weekend!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts