Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
BODYSNATCHER
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I transfer the rear on my Burner over to a 5 Spot front triangle? Or will that not fit?
EDIT:
Never mind- I went thru some old threads and got the answer. Mr Magu, indeed....
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
Yes you can make the transfer. The pivot hardware is the same. The geometry is fairly close as well. The triangles of the Burner, XCE, Flux, Spot and RFX/Pack are all compatible, with some size & weight differences.

Edit: Magu found it while I was looking oh well here are some links just for fun:
Here
Here
And here
RedRocker said:
Heck, my Burner stays ARE my Spot stays!
Tscheezy said:
All the rear ends are "swappable", but the Pack/RFX stays (both chain and seat) are slightly longer and beefier, and the Nitrous are shorter/skinnier. The O2, Burner, XCE, and 5-Spot share the same stays.
Turnerbikes said:
As Tscheezy pointed out, all rears from all bikes from all years are pretty much interchangeable. Rockers from the XC, XCE, O2 and Burner are all interchangeable and deraileur hangers from well back in the last century to now are the same.The Flux-Spot rear will fit on the Nitrous with hardly a difference. The same rear will fit on a RFX and shorten the rear and still fit the 2.4" Maxxis ADvantage. So a super short rear end with 6" of travel is possible, without much mud room of course. Every Afterburner, RFX 5" and 6" and Spot 5.1 and 5.3 rocker are interchangeable. Of course you would not want to put a Nitrous rear on a RFX, but technically you could as the mounting points are very similar. Yes there are slightly different lengths to the rears like in the case of the old RFX, but most of the time, not all but most they will swap around and the geometry is usually pretty close. Then you get Tscheezy mixing and matching chainstays and seat stays for even more geometric experimentation.

DT
 

·
BODYSNATCHER
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and now for something completely different!

Thx Zilla, good links.
Here's the deal:
Greg at Turner says he may have some front triangles in a coupla' weeks. So I'm thinking, trade in the Burner front T, sell my Pushed RP3 (which won't fit the new frame), sell my Paul's
XR rockers, and replace everything else.
Three questions:
What are the shock and rockers worth? Anybody interested?
What about this build:

Marzocchi Am 1 Eta '06 ($299 at Jenson)
Magura Marta SL Disc Brakes
Sram X.0 Twist Shifters
SRAM X9 Rear Derailleur (Long or short cage?)
Sram PG990 9SP Cassette 2006
Thomson Elite Seatpost
Thomson Elite MTB Stem
Easton Monkeylite XC Riser Bar
Hope Headset
Hope Seat Collar - Quick Release
Shimano XTR M952 Bottom Bracket (a blowout, also Jenson:$68 )
Shimano XTR M952 Crankset (ditto:pewter, 172.5mm, 26/36/48T, 5 Bolt SPDR $139)
Mavic Crossmax ST Disc Wheelset (or ?) I can't decide custom built wheels or off the shelf.

The last time I built the bike I was friggin' clueless, so Idon't want to make any stupid mistakes this time. Any and all input welcome.
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
Consider the Thomson X4 stem. Better steerer clamping than the cam of the Elite and the 31.8 bars are noticeably stiffer.

AM1 is a good fork. I like the Pike better I've had both. I guess that depends on what you can get a 454 U-turn for. Check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery or Chad at Red Barn for competative pricing.

Hope Seat collar: nice looking. Be sure to grease the cam and cam seat. When they get dry they don't clamp well despite all the closing force you can muster.

Shimano XTR BB & Crankset: Watch out everything before '07 have very propriatary rings. Expensive, and quick wearing. PLUS it's hard to get a decent bash ring. Even the '06 sets the spider reaches out to the base of the teeth of the big ring. A bash ring is only about 5mm smaller than the big ring whoopity doo! Running two rings is a very popular setup so keep that in mind.

Wheels: Hand built all the way! you can get some excellent wheels from Larry for at least what the Crossmax set will cost or less. You won't have to deal with the crappy non-sealing hubs or brittle, expensive and rare propriatary spokes. Plus you can get a faster engaging rear hub which is highly recommended.

Cheers!
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Consider the Thomson X4 stem. Better steerer clamping than the cam of the Elite and the 31.8 bars are noticeably stiffer.

AM1 is a good fork. I like the Pike better I've had both. I guess that depends on what you can get a 454 U-turn for. Check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery or Chad at Red Barn for competative pricing.

Hope Seat collar: nice looking. Be sure to grease the cam and cam seat. When they get dry they don't clamp well despite all the closing force you can muster.

Shimano XTR BB & Crankset: Watch out everything before '07 have very propriatary rings. Expensive, and quick wearing. PLUS it's hard to get a decent bash ring. Even the '06 sets the spider reaches out to the base of the teeth of the big ring. A bash ring is only about 5mm smaller than the big ring whoopity doo! Running two rings is a very popular setup so keep that in mind.

Wheels: Hand built all the way! you can get some excellent wheels from Larry for at least what the Crossmax set will cost or less. You won't have to deal with the crappy non-sealing hubs or brittle, expensive and rare propriatary spokes. Plus you can get a faster engaging rear hub which is highly recommended.

Cheers!
Ditto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,585 Posts
about those XR rockers

I got mine last year for $130 from someone who paid $145 from Pauls. Them XR rockers are like gold to someone, don't give them away! It made my Burner ride like I wished it had when I first bought it (OK, the PUSHed Float instead of the 3-way had a lot to do with it too). They only made something like 124 of them (?) so they're rare.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Consider the Thomson X4 stem. Better steerer clamping than the cam of the Elite and the 31.8 bars are noticeably stiffer.

AM1 is a good fork. I like the Pike better I've had both. I guess that depends on what you can get a 454 U-turn for. Check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery or Chad at Red Barn for competative pricing.

Hope Seat collar: nice looking. Be sure to grease the cam and cam seat. When they get dry they don't clamp well despite all the closing force you can muster.

Shimano XTR BB & Crankset: Watch out everything before '07 have very propriatary rings. Expensive, and quick wearing. PLUS it's hard to get a decent bash ring. Even the '06 sets the spider reaches out to the base of the teeth of the big ring. A bash ring is only about 5mm smaller than the big ring whoopity doo! Running two rings is a very popular setup so keep that in mind.

Wheels: Hand built all the way! you can get some excellent wheels from Larry for at least what the Crossmax set will cost or less. You won't have to deal with the crappy non-sealing hubs or brittle, expensive and rare propriatary spokes. Plus you can get a faster engaging rear hub which is highly recommended.

Cheers!
'Zilla nailed it! What more is there to say? ;)
 

·
mouthbreather
Joined
·
31 Posts
Don't listen to xcguy...

he knows not what he says. XR rockers haven't really held their value much at all. It's just a ridiculous piece of machined aluminum. With that said, how much will you sell them and/or the rp3 to me for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,585 Posts
Don't believe him!

vasdeferens said:
he knows not what he says. XR rockers haven't really held their value much at all. It's just a ridiculous piece of machined aluminum. With that said, how much will you sell them and/or the rp3 to me for?
They've increased in value! Hold out for top dollar! He's desperate! Whatever the top price you get for those rockers, if it's less than what I paid for them pm me and I'll buy them plus $20.
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
mr magu said:
Thx Zilla, good links.
Here's the deal:
Greg at Turner says he may have some front triangles in a coupla' weeks. So I'm thinking, trade in the Burner front T, sell my Pushed RP3 (which won't fit the new frame), sell my Paul's
XR rockers, and replace everything else.
Three questions:
What are the shock and rockers worth? Anybody interested?
What about this build:

Marzocchi Am 1 Eta '06 ($299 at Jenson)
Magura Marta SL Disc Brakes
Sram X.0 Twist Shifters
SRAM X9 Rear Derailleur (Long or short cage?)
Sram PG990 9SP Cassette 2006
Thomson Elite Seatpost
Thomson Elite MTB Stem
Easton Monkeylite XC Riser Bar
Hope Headset
Hope Seat Collar - Quick Release
Shimano XTR M952 Bottom Bracket (a blowout, also Jenson:$68 )
Shimano XTR M952 Crankset (ditto:pewter, 172.5mm, 26/36/48T, 5 Bolt SPDR $139)
Mavic Crossmax ST Disc Wheelset (or ?) I can't decide custom built wheels or off the shelf.

The last time I built the bike I was friggin' clueless, so Idon't want to make any stupid mistakes this time. Any and all input welcome.
The $299 AM1 at Jenson is not the All Mountain 1 with TST/TAS, it is a fork put together from left over chasis elements after Marzocchi changed the All Mountain chasis for the 2006. It is SSV damped. It is basiaclly a 32mm version of the MX fork. If you're aware of that, nevermind.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you get beefier brakes and stay away from XMax wheels as their bearings are not so great.

_MK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,585 Posts
I told you he was desperate!

vasdeferens said:
How about you don't get the extra $20 but I give xcguy a friendly kick in the nuts instead? :D
There are thousands of Burners out there just crying out for XR rockers and you, Sr. Magu, are sitting on a pair that you don't want! Don't be in a hurry. Sorry, vasdeferens. All you gotta do is pay what I did and I was elated to get a pair (as it were) at that price. I got a new bike in the bargain.
 

·
... I guess you won't be
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
I think you'd like a Salsa seatpost QR a bit better than the Hope. The salsa clamps reliably every time, without lube, and is way more tucked in than the Hope....price is equal.

Save your coin and get an XT level crankset - even at "blowout prices" I fail to see the benefit of an XTR crankset aside from the awesome looks and light weight, put your money into components that will actually make a difference in the way your bike works....I've had good luck w/ Race Face crank/BB's and lots of others rave about their XT cranks - very versatile, affordable and sturdy-light. And all of the aforementioned benefits of non-XTR cranks apply....

I second Zilla's Thompson stem recommendation - too many homers have had issues with clamping w/ Thompsons, old style cam clamp stem....go for the new
 

·
Bite Me.
Joined
·
4,531 Posts
Magu - you're going to suffer with the 26 36 48 tooth chainrings - one tooth on the ring is roughly the equivalent of two teeth on the cog, so even if you run a 34 tooth cog in back as your granny gear, it will feel like like a 22 on a standard cassette and crank.. 172.5 seems short too. Forgo the odd XTR stuff and pick up the XT760 crank and BB - you can find them for about $175 new on Ebay and you won't have any problem adding or dropping rings and bashguards etc.
 

·
Lay off the Levers
Joined
·
10,127 Posts
Joker, Good points about the Salsa being a better clamping system. Although the Salsa tucks away nicely, IIRC a few folks with med and small frames have had problems with their linkage striking the clamp at full compression... that and the Salsa has limited color selection compared to Hope if you're into matching components...but there's a ban on matching components unless your garage is finished as nicely as your kitchen.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,416 Posts
Also, consider the 07 LX or Hone cranks - very affordable. As for wheels Pro IIs on mavic 819 UST rims would cost you around $500 custom built - if you want to spend more go Hadley or Chris King.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Shimano XTR BB & Crankset: Watch out everything before '07 have very propriatary rings.
What Jenson is selling is actually the old 952 (not 950/951) model with a 5 bolt spider that uses standard 110/74mm chainrings. I think you're still stuck with a 24 and 34 as the smallest sizes for the little and middle ring, respectively.

The 36/48 gearing sounds perfect for my cross bike though- think I'll pick one up. :D
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
true. on my med rfx i need to turn my salsa q/r 180 deg. and its worth it.

you can update the 952's to the now standard 4 bolt rings with a replaceable spider from shinano and some new rings. if the arms are long enough and yer not payin much for em and ya have some good rings in yer spares box, youll find these to be ultra stiff, mega strong, uber light and totally worth it. let me know if ya need the part #.
 

·
BODYSNATCHER
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all the Homers

Bikezilla said:
Consider the Thomson X4 stem. Better steerer clamping than the cam of the Elite and the 31.8 bars are noticeably stiffer.
Done.

Bikezilla said:
AM1 is a good fork. I like the Pike better I've had both. I guess that depends on what you can get a 454 U-turn for. Check with Larry at Mountain High Cyclery or Chad at Red Barn for competative pricing.
MK said:
The $299 AM1 at Jenson is not the All Mountain 1 with TST/TAS, it is a fork put together from left over chasis elements after Marzocchi changed the All Mountain chasis for the 2006. It is SSV damped. It is basiaclly a 32mm version of the MX fork. If you're aware of that, nevermind.
Ok, I read the "what fork for a spot" sticky, and then was reading on the Turner website that the A2C s/b 501, so being anal I was trying to get as close to that as possible. I think I will go with the Pike. 454 U turn is the schnizel, eh? I need to call Larry, everyone seems to like his service and prices.

BIKEZILLA said:
Otherwise, I'd suggest you get beefier brakes and stay away from XMax wheels as their bearings are not so great.
What do you guys suggest for a 185 pound rider who does a lot of twitchy singletrack and fire roads that sometimes go on for two miles, braking alot of the way?

BIKEZILLA said:
Hope Seat collar: nice looking. Be sure to grease the cam and cam seat. When they get dry they don't clamp well despite all the closing force you can muster.
jokermtb said:
I think you'd like a Salsa seatpost QR a bit better than the Hope. The salsa clamps reliably every time, without lube, and is way more tucked in than the Hope....price is equal.
I have a Salsa now, but I did have issues with it not fitting the seat post tube on the Burner. I like the Hope and have friends who love it, so I'll grease her up regularly, because noises drive me friggin' nuts. I'll prolly get a GD when the next case of UGI hits...

BIKEZILLA said:
Shimano XTR BB & Crankset: Watch out everything before '07 have very propriatary rings. Expensive, and quick wearing. PLUS it's hard to get a decent bash ring. Even the '06 sets the spider reaches out to the base of the teeth of the big ring. A bash ring is only about 5mm smaller than the big ring whoopity doo! Running two rings is a very popular setup so keep that in mind.
cutthroat said:
Magu - you're going to suffer with the 26 36 48 tooth chainrings - one tooth on the ring is roughly the equivalent of two teeth on the cog, so even if you run a 34 tooth cog in back as your granny gear, it will feel like like a 22 on a standard cassette and crank.. 172.5 seems short too. Forgo the odd XTR stuff and pick up the XT760 crank and BB - you can find them for about $175 new on Ebay and you won't have any problem adding or dropping rings and bashguards etc.
miles e said:
What Jenson is selling is actually the old 952 (not 950/951) model with a 5 bolt spider that uses standard 110/74mm chainrings. I think you're still stuck with a 24 and 34 as the smallest sizes for the little and middle ring, respectively.

The 36/48 gearing sounds perfect for my cross bike though- think I'll pick one up. :D
I have RaceFace now, and like 'em. I just wanted something that was reliable, and lighter. Truth is, the weight may be the same, I haven't checked.
Fill me in on the granny/middle/large setup you guys use. I do alot of climbing, and need the granny. I do not want PITA cranks that I can't easily get parts for. I'm a newb when it comes to component choices for drivetrain. So hook me up with the readily available, easiest to get parts for cranks. There's no reason to save some coin on something impractical. I'd rather have reliabilty and servicability...

BIKEZILLA said:
Wheels: Hand built all the way! you can get some excellent wheels from Larry for at least what the Crossmax set will cost or less. You won't have to deal with the crappy non-sealing hubs or brittle, expensive and rare propriatary spokes. Plus you can get a faster engaging rear hub which is highly recommended.
So Larry builds wheels? I definitely need to get ahold of him then. How about Hope hubs? I know Tcheezy likes 'em, and you can't beat the colors (especially if I can match the hubs to the headset, ala FoGristle:D ).
 

·
BODYSNATCHER
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, the fair price is what?

xcguy said:
I got mine last year for $130 from someone who paid $145 from Pauls. Them XR rockers are like gold to someone, don't give them away! It made my Burner ride like I wished it had when I first bought it (OK, the PUSHed Float instead of the 3-way had a lot to do with it too). They only made something like 124 of them (?) so they're rare.
I paid more, but bought them new. I think $130 sounds good, but what about the shock? It's got some miles on it, but has been great except for one stuck down incident. It's clean, no dents, and was set up for a 200 pound rider (which is what I weighed when I bought it).
It will be at least a month before any of this goes down, and maybe longer 'cos I just told the wife about my plans...
Her reaction?
"You just got the bike two years ago and now you wanna spend another $4000 on a new one?"
Here's the angle, though:thumbsup: :
"Well, it only cost me $2000 this time, that's not bad, right?"
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top