Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 04 sherman Manitou recommends 5/20wt semibath fully sythetic oil. On enduro seals website in Minute instructions you say that 15wt Maxima works well as a substitute for 5/40wt. Do you know if 10wt will work good to substitute 5/20wt? My friend's fork needs some tlc, he'll probably get the enduro seals as well. (just brown nosing here a bit :eek: )

_MK

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Mobil 1 makes a 5W-40 marketed as SUV/Truck oil...

I picked mine up at WalMart but your local auto parts store should carry it as well.

·
otb club member
2,989 Posts
MK_ said:
In 04 sherman Manitou recommends 5/20wt semibath fully sythetic oil. On enduro seals website in Minute instructions you say that 15wt Maxima works well as a substitute for 5/40wt. Do you know if 10wt will work good to substitute 5/20wt? My friend's fork needs some tlc, he'll probably get the enduro seals as well. (just brown nosing here a bit :eek: )

_MK
MK, along with the recommendation of Homebrew, Amzoil also makes a good fully synthetic 5w/40 oil. These are both very close to the Manitou spec (Motorex Semi-bath Oil). Short of this, my personal opinion is that any good synthetic fork fluid will also work. It's not as if the lower left leg of any of the Fox Forx is functionally different than Manitou's semi-bath, and they just use the same oil as the damper leg.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris2fur said:
MK, along with the recommendation of Homebrew, Amzoil also makes a good fully synthetic 5w/40 oil. These are both very close to the Manitou spec (Motorex Semi-bath Oil). Short of this, my personal opinion is that any good synthetic fork fluid will also work. It's not as if the lower left leg of any of the Fox Forx is functionally different than Manitou's semi-bath, and they just use the same oil as the damper leg.
We just peformed the oil change and a clean. I now can completely agree with the recomendation. We ended up using Mobil 1 5W-30. After taking apart the Sherman, I must say that Manitou is pretty clever with the way they separate the oils. The damper oil we poured out was still clean, while the semi-bath oil was in serious need of purging. I see that any synthetic oil would do, my only reservation is the possibility of the very thick aoutomotive oil being a better bottom out resistor. Thanks. We'll have to remove the lowers soon, anyway, as soon as the enduro seal show up. It's neat that we can do it without having to touch the damper.

_MK

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
MK_ said:
We just peformed the oil change and a clean. I now can completely agree with the recomendation. We ended up using Mobil 1 5W-30. After taking apart the Sherman, I must say that Manitou is pretty clever with the way they separate the oils. The damper oil we poured out was still clean, while the semi-bath oil was in serious need of purging. I see that any synthetic oil would do, my only reservation is the possibility of the very thick aoutomotive oil being a better bottom out resistor. Thanks. We'll have to remove the lowers soon, anyway, as soon as the enduro seal show up. It's neat that we can do it without having to touch the damper.

_MK
Manitous are nice to service and they don't need frequent oil changes as the damper works isolated.

They figured it out since some years ago. Only difference is they use semi-bath oil instead of the former microlube (which was very good too)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Manitous are nice to service and they don't need frequent oil changes as the damper works isolated.

They figured it out since some years ago. Only difference is they use semi-bath oil instead of the former microlube (which was very good too)
This is very good info since I'm getting ready to do my first maintenance on my Black Platinum. The on-line maintenance recommendation is for a different oil part number in the upper SPV chamber than the semi bath. Can the Mobil 1 be used for both? One last ?- It is also calling for Manitou's Prep M, which I assume is a propietary grease? Is there a generic substitute or should I get the Prep M? Thanks!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
COMMITTED said:
This is very good info since I'm getting ready to do my first maintenance on my Black Platinum. The on-line maintenance recommendation is for a different oil part number in the upper SPV chamber than the semi bath. Can the Mobil 1 be used for both? One last ?- It is also calling for Manitou's Prep M, which I assume is a propietary grease? Is there a generic substitute or should I get the Prep M? Thanks!

No the damping oil is straight 5 wt fork oil, perferrably synthetic. Check your local motorcyle shop or pick up some Motorex or Finish Line 5wt at the LBS. Prep-M is nice because you can use the pump in the MicroLube ports on the fork legs. You can use Slick Honey, Judy Butter or other fork grease but not as easily with the MicroLube.

https://www.performancebike.com/sho...egory_ID=4213&CFID=37567893&CFTOKEN=62194938#

1 - 7 of 7 Posts