Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Brant,

Any progress on the Mungo bars? Availability? What about the proto "moustache" bars? How are they different from the Nittos?

I'm currently running WTB's on my VooDoo Loa SS CX and haven't gotten comfortable with them (and I'm running them high and short). How will the Mungo bars differ in shape/drop/reach? This is the second pair I've tried - sold the first pair to Rudy (in AZ).

I've also tried Nitto moustache, but found them too narrow and didn'e care to have the ends parallel. I guess I'm looking for flatter WTB-like bars or flared-moustache. What do you say??

Thanks,
jeff

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
soulFire said:
Hey Brant,

< SNIP >

I guess I'm looking for flatter WTB-like bars or flared-moustache. What do you say??

Thanks,
jeff
I'm sure Brant will be along soon and I think you will like what he has to say :D

SSP

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
shiggy©®™ said:
Brant sent me the latest info on the drops this morning but it up to him to share it. I will just say VERYnice!
This is just a big tease....someone come forth with the goods!

Sheesh what a bunch of 4-year olds - I know but I am not telling you...nah naaah na nah na :)

LP

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
soulFire said:
Hey Brant,

Any progress on the Mungo bars? Availability? What about the proto "moustache" bars? How are they different from the Nittos?
Mungo bars are moustache-alikes. They're different from the nittos in that they are one piece and don't have a shim. The profile is very similar.

soulFire said:
I'm currently running WTB's on my VooDoo Loa SS CX and haven't gotten comfortable with them (and I'm running them high and short). How will the Mungo bars differ in shape/drop/reach? This is the second pair I've tried - sold the first pair to Rudy (in AZ).

I've also tried Nitto moustache, but found them too narrow and didn'e care to have the ends parallel. I guess I'm looking for flatter WTB-like bars or flared-moustache. What do you say??

Thanks,
jeff
Ah right - we've finalised a set of flared drops which are, well, completely designed by Shiggy actually. They're called Mungo Pro Bars. They'll be a few months off yet. We took the WTB design, then changed everything (in a good way).

Once I've got a few more moustache bars lying around I'm going to have a bit of a bend and might, as you suggest, make a flared moustache bar. Sweep the ends out a bit. Then we might offer another one. Or might just give instructions on bending.

I'm also working on a 3 or 5pc welded bar. Though Jeff Jones contacted me to point out that he had patented aspects of the design.

So I'm trying to find a way forward to do my bar design (which if a different material, different shape, different grip positions, different "cross" bar design) without pissing Jeff off and invoking huge amounts of bad karma.

If it all goes tits up then I'll just end up with a set of bars for myself, and to be honest as most of my designing is about making nicer bits for me (and selling some as a bonus) that wouldn't be too bad :))

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mungo bars are moustache-alikes. They're different from the nittos in that they are one piece and don't have a shim. The profile is very similar.

Once I've got a few more moustache bars lying around I'm going to have a bit of a bend and might, as you suggest, make a flared moustache bar. Sweep the ends out a bit. Then we might offer another one. Or might just give instructions on bending.
Hey Brant,
Isn't it a bit risky to cold set aluminum. I know guys that have "flared" road drops to get more wrist clearance for 'cross, but it seems like a bad idea to put your pearly whites :D on the line with "work-hardened" bars. I would jump at the chance of flaring moustache bars if I thought the bars equally safe to ride after post-heat treatment bending. Comments?

jeff

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I was only talking about bending a set when I get some more, riding twice around the block, up a hill and back down again just to make sure I liked them, before getting the molds changed.

Bars are costly to tool up for - you do as little mold based development as possible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
...Ah right - we've finalised a set of flared drops which are, well, completely designed by Shiggy actually. They're called Mungo Pro Bars. They'll be a few months off yet. We took the WTB design, then changed everything (in a good way).
If it all goes tits up then I'll just end up with a set of bars for myself, and to be honest as most of my designing is about making nicer bits for me (and selling some as a bonus) that wouldn't be too bad :))
So, the flared drops are going to production? Sweet! Any more details on shape / differences from the WTBs?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
03bart said:
So, the flared drops are going to production? Sweet! Any more details on shape / differences from the WTBs?

Thanks,
The overall width and end flair is about the same as the WTBs. The tops are about 30mm wider for more useable space on the tops and this reduces the amount of out flair ( / \ ) so the levers are farther apart and more upright. Slightly less drop and reach making it easier to use with existing stems and frames.

I am thrilled than Brant picked up this task and asked me to help. Looking forward to having "my" bars the way I like them!

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Er,....

yes - quite a few differences, specified by Shiggy.

a wider top section, a bit less angled droppy bits, this that and the other...
< cough >

There might have been a guy in the UK who helped out a bit too! :D

< /cough >

Pitty my company (the one I work for, not own!) were not interested. I have other plans for them!

SSP

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Singlespeedpunk said:
< cough >

There might have been a guy in the UK who helped out a bit too! :D

< /cough >

Pitty my company (the one I work for, not own!) were not interested. I have other plans for them!

SSP
Yup, You got the process rolling, Alex. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.