Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a midwestern rider looking for a new pair of tires for my 04 hollowpoint expert. I ride mostly hardpack dirt with the occasional sandy areas from trail maintenance. The terrain is not all that rocky. The tires that came stock (Maxxis Haventure) are super heavy and slick in muddy situations. I don't usually ride in wet conditions though.

I need a tires that have low rolling resistance and are not heavy. My bike already weighs 32 pounds with the current tires so I would like to lighten it a bit. My wheels will take tubeless tires as well.

Do you have any suggestions on a good do it all tire.

I am considering PAnaracer Fire XC PRos, IRC Notos, Hutchinson Scorpion Airlights, Hutchinson Pythons, Hutchinson Spiders, or Kenda Nevegal Lites.

I would like the tire to be about a 2.1.

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The laser is working out nice. The bike looks sweet. I have a new background picture now to show the students when they come to my office, thanks! I am thinking I am goin to go with the Nevegal or SPiders, need to talk to my lbs first.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
richeyr said:
The laser is working out nice. The bike looks sweet. I have a new background picture now to show the students when they come to my office, thanks! I am thinking I am goin to go with the Nevegal or SPiders, need to talk to my lbs first.
Another vote for the Spiders. I'm riding on the UST 2.3, front and rear and I like them better with each ride. They grip really well and roll great. They're also one of the lightest UST tires out there. Mine are holding air so well, that I haven't seen a noticable pressure drop after a week.

edit: I don't know your definition of a tire "expert" is. All of my recommendations are based on experience. I own and use many different tires. I suppose the closest thing we have to an "expert" would be Shiggy. I would assume that he would have tried more tires than most of us.

Tire performance is highly dependent on terrain and riding styles, plus pressure and rider weight. I typically try to elicit recommendations from people that ride in my area and have a similar ridng style.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The spider's get terrible reviews under the product reviews section. Anybody know why that is? Shiggy, any reason you are against the Fire XC Pro's? They have good reviews.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
richeyr said:
The spider's get terrible reviews under the product reviews section. Anybody know why that is? Shiggy, any reason you are against the Fire XC Pro's? They have good reviews.
The UST has an overall rating of 4, which is very good. The non-USG, Spider lite is 3.4, which isn't bad....plus if you read the reviews, one of the bad reviews is for ridng in muddy conditions. ALthough the tire does a decent job of shedding mud, the knobs really aren't long enough to make it a good mud tire. In addition, there may be a performance difference between the UST and non-UST versions.

It's a great rolling, all-around tire. Good at most things, but not quite the best in any one catagory.

I used to ride Fire XC, pros. They're a bit thin for me, plus they don't do well in loose soil. Overall....a good tire, but I definitely prefer the Spider UST.

btw...sorry for responding to a question aimed at SHiggy.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
richeyr said:
...Shiggy, any reason you are against the Fire XC Pro's? They have good reviews.
I am not against the Fire XC Pro. It is a good tire that has been around for a long time. There are just better tires available. Plenty of riders that still ride and love the Fire XC. I am not too fond of it in the 2.1 size but scaled up for the Fire FR 2.4 it is awesome!

·
crash test dummy
545 Posts
Kenda BG/Nevegal

The Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal combo is amazing for downhill and loose soil uphill traction, but there are definitely major downsides:

- Incredibly high rolling resistance, to the tune of 1-2 gears lower than with other tires
- Very fast wearing Nevegal, especially if you ride a lot of fireroad/road to and from the trails

Other than that, they are amazing. I wouldn't use them for racing though.

For a faster rolling tire in dry conditions, I've had very good luck with IRC Mythos XC tires. You can't run the pressure much lower than 35 or so, but they have proven very predictable tires in all conditions but mud, where they are awful. They are fairly narrow for a 2.1 tire, however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.