Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am interested in getting these to replace my raceface ride xc(giant OEM) and SRX setup.
I weigh about 130lbs and ride aggresive XC, meaning I am always trying to go as fast as i can. I ride in mainly dry conditions(about 80% of riding is in dry).
A couple of questions for the users.
How are they going? Any info on them at all??

What is your weight, riding style, bike used on, Length of use on them and conditions used?
Also, what tools are required to install them?
Sorry for all the questions, but want to make sure I am making the right choice before putting down about 2months pay on them(I'm young and only work once a week:).

·
simply me
132 Posts
bike_freak said:
Hey,
I am interested in getting these to replace my R aceface ride xc(giant OEM) and SRX setup.
I weigh about 130lbs and ride aggressive XC, meaning I am always trying to go as fast as i can. I ride in mainly dry conditions(about 80% of riding is in dry).
I've had my set for a few months, they have been solid. Only problem to date was with the crank puller cap which would back out by it's self while riding. Little blue loc-tite fixed that one. Couple of things worth noting- it took a bunch of rides for the bearing seals too loosen up and stop dragging. Also the cranks are very wide at the crank bolt, due I guess to accommodate the external BB shell. Not a major problem but an increased chance of catching your ankles.

bike_freak said:
What is your weight, riding style, bike used on, Length of use on them and conditions used?
165 lbs, race expert XC, 7 hard tail, 3 months, varies...

bike_freak said:
Only special tool is for the BB cups, P ark, P edros and S himano all have a tool suitable for about $15.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
267 Posts
Been on them for a Month. They work well. After about two weeks they started creaking. The BB had loosened a bit. I re-tightened the BB and all is well. They shift well and I was able to get a good chainline. Setup was pretty straight forward. The seals do drag a bit when new.

I am about 190lbs and a weekend trail rider.

Good luck,
david

·
Registered
397 Posts
bike_freak said:
Hey,
I am interested in getting these to replace my raceface ride xc(giant OEM) and SRX setup.
I weigh about 130lbs and ride aggresive XC, meaning I am always trying to go as fast as i can. I ride in mainly dry conditions(about 80% of riding is in dry).

Sorry for all the questions, but want to make sure I am making the right choice before putting down about 2months pay on them(I'm young and only work once a week:).
I've been on them for a month or so. Noticably stiffer than my old set up but....the familiar loosening of the drive side crank while riding. I'm gonna try loctite on the bolt.

·
simply me
132 Posts
Hobine said:
I've been on them for a month or so. Noticably stiffer than my old set up but....the familiar loosening of the drive side crank while riding. I'm gonna try loctite on the bolt.
Just to clarify, I have only ever had the 'crank puller cap' loosen, never the actual crank or crank bolt...

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hobine said:
Nope - the actual crank bolt loosens. Check the reviews for more people experiancing the same thing.
Thats what I'm afriad of... if I do get them, then I need to know they will be flawless as I am in Australia and will be getting them from the US(difficult warranty...).
It's jus that, it seems only people that have had bad luck with them have posted a review.
Oh well, I will see in a months time maybe?

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
bike_freak said:
Thats what I'm afriad of... if I do get them, then I need to know they will be flawless as I am in Australia and will be getting them from the US(difficult warranty...).
It's jus that, it seems only people that have had bad luck with them have posted a review.
Oh well, I will see in a months time maybe?
I wouldn't worry too much. Almost always products have a few failures but its probably not going to happen to you. For example I heard bad bad stories about several products I have used and thus far no troubles. My frame for example :D is still working fine.....

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trevor! said:
I wouldn't worry too much. Almost always products have a few failures but its probably not going to happen to you. For example I heard bad bad stories about several products I have used and thus far no troubles. My frame for example :D is still working fine.....
Yes, but remember my Hub.... LOL!

·
Registered
476 Posts
bike_freak said:
Hey,

What's up, Bike Freak?
Deus is awesome in my opinion.
It's possible to make it lighter than XTR by getting lighter chainrings and al bolts.
I ran old XTR M952 crank before I got my Deus.
I was about to get XTR M960,
but after watching my friend crashed with XTR left crank arm still on his shoe twice...
I changed my mind and got Deus :D
My weight is about 165 lbs including gears
My friend weighs 200 lbs runs Deus as well, no problem.
He rides aggressively, by the way.
I ride all mountain, and some singletracks with my 5.5.
Been riding Deus for about 2 - 3 months ( twice a week )
100% dry and dusty condition.... So Cal weather
Installation is easy, just pay attention to the chain line selections.
You'll need some waterproof grease, BB tool (like BBT9), allen wrenches.
Stop wonderng already, dude.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TC3 said:
What's up, Bike Freak?
Deus is awesome in my opinion.
It's possible to make it lighter than XTR by getting lighter chainrings and al bolts.
I ran old XTR M952 crank before I got my Deus.
I was about to get XTR M960,
but after watching my friend crashed with XTR left crank arm still on his shoe twice...
I changed my mind and got Deus :D
My weight is about 165 lbs including gears
My friend weighs 200 lbs runs Deus as well, no problem.
He rides aggressively, by the way.
I ride all mountain, and some singletracks with my 5.5.
Been riding Deus for about 2 - 3 months ( twice a week )
100% dry and dusty condition.... So Cal weather
Installation is easy, just pay attention to the chain line selections.
You'll need some waterproof grease, BB tool (like BBT9), allen wrenches.
Stop wonderng already, dude.
Hehe:D
Silver or Black? I hear silver or black? I am leaning towards silver cause it just looks bad ass.
Still got a month or so till I will NEED a new BB(meaning new cranks!).
Thanks for all the help so far:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Trevor! said:
That's what I said when I got them. Guess what - they loosen. Anyhow - I cleaned all the grease off and locktighted the bolt last night. I'll post a follow up after a few rides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.