Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Try to use some comfy full finger gloves.I hear AXO ride gloves (@ pricepoint.com) are pretty good. Always wear a helmet. Knee/shin & elbow pads never hurt no one. If you feel safer, by all means wear them.Read the product reviews & ask around in the forums. Merry Christmas.---zarr:)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wear TLD shin and knee guards pretty much all the time unless it's just a simple ride. I also wear Fox dirtpaw gloves when I ride no matter the condition. I only wear my full face helmet when I know I'll be going balls out down some trails, otherwise it's pointless for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone have any insight to the lower end 661 gear. i found some decent deals on the net for some knee pads but i dont now anything about them. any info from the experienced would help. thanks

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
I don't wear anything except a helmet and gloves. I decided it was in my best interest to wear gloves after skinning my hands up in a crash. I only ride cross country so I keep my wheels on the ground usually. If you feel like you need knee and arm pads then pick them up, but for my conditions I don't think they're necessary.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I don't wear pads. It gets hot where I live and I'm not doing stunts, big obstacles, etc. I do wear long finger gloves, though that's more for comfort than anything. In 3/4 length my hands sweat and get slimy. In full finger it's no problem.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I too ride XC and don't wear any pads. I small to mid-size jumps and drops, usually stay < 4 ft. Helmet and gloves are a must though. You want to protect your ulnar nerve from cuts, unless you don't like being able to move your fingers.

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
You just dont want to be laying in bed after a bad crash when you where flying down a hill kicking your self for not wearing padding right? I hate scraping up my hands though. My hands are very sensitive but like my calves are pretty tough when i biff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I always wear a helmet and full finger gloves. When I started riding I crashed a lot and kept tearing up my elbows and shins so I bought soccer shin guards and Troy Lee Designs elbow pads.

I don't usually wear the elbow pads unless I'm riding something technical and rocky. I have, however been using platform pedals with screws sticking out of them for traction so I still always wear the shin guards. I've seen some nasty pictures of shins torn up by those platforms.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
In the (not so distant) past, I would have said "Helmet and full length gloves" - and not more, for regular trail riding...

However, several nasty crashes - one on a local (rather steep) hill leaving me struggling to walk for a few days made me reconsider atleast on the knees for what I consider regular use.
The problem is, that some knee/shin combo guards are uncomfortable to spend a day of pedalling in.
Ended up choosing 661 Kylestrait knee pads - theyre comfortable, well vented and provide decent protection... Im sure theres better things for protection - but to add a bit of confidence, with little noticeable hindrance to pedalling, I cant fault them.
I havent tried any other similar pads for suitable lengths of time, so its kinda hard to suggest any (plus theres been alot of new things released since I bought them) - so there may be some new things that are better.

As for gloves... Full finger. Have a few pairs lying around, but the ones that get used most are my raceface ones - purely because theyre comfortable.
I've always preferred to use gloves to ride - apart from anything else, I have rather sweaty hands at times, and gloves help me grip the bars and levers better (and over longer rides, skin gets uncomfortable on bare rubber of the grips).
However, its really upto you whether you want them, and what you want them to do.

Theyre really rather personal choices.

Some people like to wear lots of protection because they feel more confident while riding, and it helps them push their boundries a bit more. While theres others out there that prefer not to wear any because they feel more comfortable without and dont feel vulnerable...
Its purely personal really - specific choices are related to the type that you want (priorities in design) and the fit.

Same goes with gloves - fit and the priorities in design are purely down to what you want and feel you need.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have 3 scars on one knee, just minor stuff, but I now wear my 661 veggie knee pads all the time. The few times I have fallen on them they felt very cushy. They are comfortable, forget I even have them on. I know 3 people that have had their knees very messed up just from falling while walking. Knee pads are cheaper than surgeons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just started riding the trails two months ago, never mountain biked ! Got a Gary Fisher hardtail Tarpon 09 nice starter bike. I've been learning as I go and so has my body, scrapes, abrasions , minor stuff. But my wife thinks otherwise, she saw my last scrape on my forearm and went nuts! Thankfully she is buying me some armor from six six one, not just pads but a complete suit set up ! She knows I love what I'm doing and am having a blast. She also knows I will upgrade the bike to a full suspension later this year and progress in my riding. Thank God somebody is looking out for me!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
zarr said:
Try to use some comfy full finger gloves.I hear AXO ride gloves (@ pricepoint.com) are pretty good. Always wear a helmet. Knee/shin & elbow pads never hurt no one. If you feel safer, by all means wear them.Read the product reviews & ask around in the forums. Merry Christmas.---zarr:)
+1 Those Axo Ride gloves are really nice.

Helmet, gloves, glasses all are standard for a ride. Knee/Shin guards for anything I don't feel confident on. If you want knee pads, go for Kyle Straits, plenty of padding for normal trail riding and plenty of padding if you're a pro and don't fall =). Elbow pads might be a bit excessive. Sometimes I wish I had wrist guards though

·
Blind biker
301 Posts
I only wear a helmet and golves while riding, but I have to ride to the trail and back so I like to be comfortable when i get there and most is XC. But this summer I could have used pad as I flipped over my bars jumping a 12 in curb @ 20mph and i flipped the bike. I think I bruised some ribs surprisingly my knees and arms were fine. I have also had a chainring go into my calf when I slipped of the pedals( I love clipples now). I say that if you ride XC then you dont really need pads but if your DH/FR then I would have a full suit plus full face helmet, so I could walk after a fall.

·
turtles make me hot
11,759 Posts
I wear Fox full finger gloves, a Flux helmet and glasses. In twenty years I haven't had an injury that warranted pads yet. I don't think anything would have prevented my arm from breaking that one time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.