Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok its time to break out the granola and tofu again, I am heading up to B'ham for the Padden Pedal. Its one of the oldest mtn bike races in Washington. The race itself seems like its all hill. Last year racing out of expert they started all the men at one so maybe 80 riders raced for the gate at one time. By the time I got to the top of the first hill I lost sight of all the riders. :) Anyway with the Seattle to Portland ride coming up Sat and Sunday this is a big biking weekend.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each lap is a little less than 4 miles and the elevation gain is 650 feet per lap. Its a fairly tough course that depending on your strength and skill level might have three or four dismounts. I know someone is reading this and is probably wondering where you have to get off your bike because they never have. The course starts out easy enough on wide double track that gradually gets steeper. It then drops to a point below the elevation of the start and you have to climb again. Expert riders will run laps between 18-23 minutes and sport riders are around 20-26 minutes or more.

I think the course is tougher than Methow and a bit more technical. Only the strongest Sport riders will stay on their bikes the whole course. In fact if you can ride the whole course you shouldnt be in Sport. Sport men get to ride between expert women who start at 1130 and Sport women who start at 1136. Is that nice or what?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm in

I'll be there. I'm going to try and swipe the podium for the beginer men, 35-44. :cool:

I did it last year. I wouldn't call it 'lots of climbing'. The beginer laps are about 20-25 minutes, I think. 3 laps. It is only a pain fest, climbing wise, because I am going faster than I normally would push myself. Pretty fun course though. I've heard from Indie Series regulars that it is one of the most technical courses. But, I don't have anything to compare it to, it is the only one i do. And compared to Galby, Cake!

·
Registered
467 Posts
The course sounds fun. It can't be much more technical than Methow- I think a couple of riders ended up in the lake, plus that DH section was sweet.

I just wish the I.S. had a better system of upgrading sandbaggers. There seem to be alot of them in this series.

Flyxaos- you don't sound like a beginner. if you are strong enuf to podium in Beginner and a good enuf rider for galby you should be in the sport class.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There does seem to be a few more sandbaggers this year. I think dropping an age group caused a few riders to drop down and see if they could be more competitive. My goal is to finish within 10 minutes of the top rider in my age group and maybe top 10. They always have a lot of schwag at the race and you dont have to be a winner to walk away with something.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Last yearI think I was 5th. My claim to fame there, was I barely beat the first place girl. Hah. So this is the second time I have done it. Maybe I should have signed up for sport, but 4 long laps looked too painful for how much I ride. It is the difference between 1 hour in the saddle, and two. Anyway, I don't mean to snipe or sandbag, I'm there for the fun of it. It will be a beautiful weekend.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Lemans Start was pretty dumb. I think they should just go back to starting on the road or just further back on the grass. They dont need to add any more laps to Sport that would be a bad idea. Just ride expert if you want to ride more than 2 hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Padden was my first ever bike race. I'm a runner (60-80 miles per week) who really likes to ride bikes. 8th in the sport division on a rigid 29er. It was an awesome experience. I'm already trying to figure out which race I can try next.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sure some of the Single Speeders who occaisionally post here got to the podium. I think I was 13th out of 21 which is a long ways from the podium. My wife told me I was first in the Legends catagory-"A legend in my mind.":D

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was standing at the switch back just before the last climb on the pro and expert races. At least the top 2 of the single speed guys climbed that switchback/rock every time. Amazing.

In the beginer class I was beaten be 4 strong guys and one guy that flunked kindergarden math (1+1=3) :)

Fun though, I could tell I did better than last year. Good times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.