Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in the market for some kind of padded compression shorts for underneath baggy mountain bike shorts. shorts with hip pads and a chamois. something like the sixsixone elite bomber, or poc hip vpd impact shorts. anyone wear something like this that they love and would recommend? the poc's are really nice, but a little pricey. i see troy lee has a few as well, but seem to be padded specifically for riding motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I read alot of reviews on the 661 bomber elite shorts etc.. I read they don't have a very good shammie in them so I ended up with the fox launch shorts. They have padding in all the right places, and the shammie is the same one they have in all their mtb shorts, didn't even notice I had them on, felt the same as my regular shammie but with some added protection...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read alot of reviews on the 661 bomber elite shorts etc.. I read they don't have a very good shammie in them so I ended up with the fox launch shorts. They have padding in all the right places, and the shammie is the same one they have in all their mtb shorts, didn't even notice I had them on, felt the same as my regular shammie but with some added protection...
I considered these until I read the reviews on mtbr. There is only one decent review. All the others don't seem to like or recommend the launch shorts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wasn't too impressed with the liner and chamois that came with the Fox Sergeant shorts when compared with the Zoic Assault Liner that came with the Ether shorts (prefer the Sergeant shorts though over Ether).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I like the launch shorts, I don't care about the reviews on MTBR, most of the time it's xc riders compaining cuz they bought them and didn't like them when riding fire roads for 30 miles... I can see them fitting poorly on a fat kid as they might ride down a little but doesn't everything when your pear shaped? haha

·
Trail Ninja
6,504 Posts
POC hip short is the best protection against side of leg, hip, and lower spine protection that I've found and personally use. Highly recommended, especially considering some of the competition (661 bomber shorts = crap that only protects side of leg adequately and is too thick and bulky).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like these: Novara Padded Bike Briefs - Men's at REI.com

Inexpensive, but far superior to anything else I've tried in that price range. ($25) Nice padding, comfortable, and durable.
Just looking at the pic of these makes me want to pick my arse. I'm afraid I can't shift, brake, and pick my arse at the same time. I can't wear briefs off my bike, so I certainly can't, on it. They have to be a boxer brief type for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
POC hip short is the best protection against side of leg, hip, and lower spine protection that I've found and personally use. Highly recommended, especially considering some of the competition (661 bomber shorts = crap that only protects side of leg adequately and is too thick and bulky).
Thanks for the info. Do they poc's have a chamois? As far as I could tell online, it doesn't look like they do, but I'm no certain. Love the brand though. My trabec race is the best helmet I've ever owned.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've got some time in my recently purchased Fox Lauch shorts. I think they are great. At first look, and when you first put them on, they will feel kind of weird. Then when you slip your baggies over the top, you'll notice they fit a bit tighter. But once I'm on the bike I can't tell they are there. Way more comfy than my other shorts that only have a chamois, that I think I will order another pair of the Launch shorts for in case the other is in the wash.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have some Specialized Trail baggies with an inner/removeable padded liner. Pearl Izumi sells a inner padded liner seperate also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Regarding the POC VPD shorts - there are two different versions of the shorts. One is for cycling and one is for ski/snowboarding. The cycling version has a chamois crotch pad, while the ski version does NOT. Specifically, the bike shorts are POC part number 20341. The ski shorts are POC part number 62024. The POC images do show a sewn in crotch pad on the bike version, and do not show the pad on the ski version. Just be careful if you order online to make sure you're getting the version you want.

·
Last, not lost.
210 Posts
I recently picked up a pair of the Pearl Izumi Liner shorts from LL Bean of all places. I had a $10 off coupon and free shipping, so for $20, they were to my door. The chamois is nice, and work out well under some pants for the cooler weather. I'll probably get another pair once I get another coupon.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.