Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, what is this that the UPS driver has just brought? The australian shepard doesn't seem to care.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Built up;

It's got a few parts on the way from QBP, and the long term idea is to have some extra wheels and a bigger fork for more abusive days.

Attachments

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Sweet looking ride. I still can't get past the doo doo brown color the Marzocchi AM comes in though.

Hope you enjoy, and Quality gets those parts to ya pretty quick.

happy trails...

squish

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
naw, quality is on the other end of the country. Got a black thomson stem comming (me likey the stretched out feeling with a 100mm stem), an XT front D, and a CN7701 chain. That may be it for the immediate upgrades.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
That looks like it may come out to a reasonable weight. I am actually a little surprised we don't see more trail-oriented Packs here. A lot of us ride slow xc (gonz notwithstanding) and still put friggin' FR parts on. You need to get an RP3 for the eggbeater days.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
nice "collection" in the garage....where do you live?????

nice bike :p
It's actually a shop, not my garage.

Anyway it's meant to be light, a DHX air would be pretty cool in the future too, but some heavier stuff (heavier fork, wheels, pedals, etc) would be nice as well. Thanks.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Jm. said:

Anyway it's meant to be light, a DHX air would be pretty cool in the future too, but some heavier stuff (heavier fork, wheels, pedals, etc) would be nice as well. Thanks.
Nice Jm, so you getting rid of the FXR? I went the opposite direction and got a Burner but I'm gonna reincarnate the FXR into a 6" squishy bike- Z150, beefy wheels, double w/bashguard, etc etc. Enjoy!

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
tscheezy said:
That looks like it may come out to a reasonable weight. I am actually a little surprised we don't see more trail-oriented Packs here. A lot of us ride slow xc (gonz notwithstanding) and still put friggin' FR parts on. You need to get an RP3 for the eggbeater days.
heh. my provocative posts are intended only to provoke thought, not anger or envy! ;)

hey Jm., what is with the assortment of stems there in the foreground? is that the shop where you "work" sorta?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
JM, a nice looking bike you got going up there, I like the grey ones. My own personal color scheme coordination chromosomes seem to think that the color of the AM1 lowers clash just a tad with the rest of the package, but hey, thats just me. Cograts on the new toy!

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
with that brown fork, does that mean you're packin' fudge? bwa! nice build.

i think that the grey actually goes well with the am1. have fun!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Jm. said:

nice stuff what do you do???

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What do I do? Not much, work and ride. Work at the shop, and ride my bike when I'm not working. I'm waiting for a naval officer canidate school date, which should take a few months at least.

Anyway; It weighs in at 31.4lbs as pictured, 2.3" tires are not the lighest, but given a DHX air and a lighter rear hub, it could easily make it down near 30lbs with the same tires. Some of the build is pretty light, and I'm going to be adding a little weight with a stiffer (and heavier) thomson stem, and a front derailer (but it's kind of fun riding it with no front derailer). Wheels are pretty light, mavic F519 rims, front has revolution spokes and alloy nipples (I ride hard and I've never broken a spoke, but I did have a couple nipples pull out) and a WTB laserdisc light (am classic) hub, the rear has competition spokes and alloy nipples. I don't recommend this build (at least the alloy nipples part) to most people, only do it if you really know what you are doing with wheels.

In the future I want to "pimp my ride" and add something like a marz 66 or fox vanilla 36, some mallets, a stronger wheelset, and an 8" rotor, and then use that setup for DH days.

I just got back from a ride on it, and I'm really impressed. I can tell it sits a little higher than my foes, and I can also tell that it is a little longer. This translates to more stability and less manuverability. The difference isn't huge, but I can definitely sense it. It still RAILS around turns and switchbacks, or at least I rail around turns and switchbacks on it, so it's definitely up to the task of being a trail bike. The geometry differences don't seem bad though. I feel very comfortable with a 100mm stem on it, and I don't feel any more stretched out than I was on the foes (but the slightly longer wheelbase and chainstays kind of fool me into thinking that I am, untill I really think about it). Rear suspension is great, especially hooking up on rocky climbs. The DHX offers a lot on this bike, and I seeme to be running it more around 120-130psi. At ~90 psi it seems to wallow a lot, and ride a lot lower in the travel. If I want to run it around 90psi I may need to bump my spring weight up 50lbs. At 120-130 it doesn't feel too harsh, but it seems to ride higher in the travel. The faster I went with it the better it felt, it definitely put a smile on my face at times. With the AM1 set to 130mm it feels great, like riding on a cloud at times.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.