Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Red Rider
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow C'dalers. Had a question for the travelers. Have you ever taken your Lefty equipped bike on a trip via major airline?

If so, was it fairly simple process to pack it? I imagine you could have a little more room in the case due to the Lefty only having one leg and the front wheel being skewerless.

What brand of travel case/box did you use?

What airline did you travel? Did they have a overweight/oversize charge and if so, how much was it?

I appreciate your responses. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't own lefty, and I've never ridden or traveled with it, but I imagine lefty may take up more room than regular fork, because you'd have lay it in the case in the way the fork doesn't bang against the frame.

I've transported my Santa Cruz Blur small size in my Trico case a few times. With wheels & helmet, it is a tight fit. I don't know how others with larger frames manage to pack their gear in the case.

I use lots of pipe-shaped insulation foams (found them at the hardware store, for plumbing?) to wrap my baby.

Just make sure to deflate your tires, also air shock & air forks when going on an airline.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
I will be taking my bike on an airline for the first time in a week. It is an XL Rush. I bought a Bike Pro case from Performance Bike. Bike Hashbar also sells them. $250 on sale now from $400+ at Hashbar. It is the biggest case I could find.

It will fit the bike and Lefty attached and it weighs 40lbs. I will have to pay $80 one-way but the cost just went up to $100.

It comes with a frame that the bike attaches to. I cut the fork attachment down (by cutting both ends off so that the tube is now about 1") and will have to buy a bolt at the hardware store that goes through the tube(that was made for a regular fork attachment) that will mount the Lefty threads. Wasn't very hard to do - just had to think about it a few minutes.

It seems like it will hold it securely. I am going to drill holes in the aluminum portion at the bottom of the case to strap the frame down(the frame that holds the bike) to the case just in case it is put upside down. It is recommended that you buy stickers that say "THIS SIDE UP" and "FRAGILE" to put on the case. And buy some extra foam to protect the stuff inside. The airline better not Fukitup.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've taken my Scalpel several times in just a regular cardboard bike box with no problems. It fits in with the Lefty on, could remove it also. Just ship the box to where you are going if it is possible, will probably be about half the price.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Astroboy said:
Just make sure to deflate your tires, also air shock & air forks when going on an airline.

What is the reason for deflating shock? is this the airline's policy?

Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi. The highest difference in pressure from ground to air of a shock or tire is 14psi at our outer atmosphere. I would say the only precaution would be to let a little air out of the tires - maybe down to 25psi.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi. The highest difference in pressure from ground to air of a shock or tire is 14psi at our outer atmosphere. I would say the only precaution would be to let a little air out of the tires - maybe down to 25psi.
That makes sense.

When you are riding, the fork & shock experiences much more violent inner pressures (although not continuously for an extended period of time). I just don't want anything to go wrong especially when I'm taking the trouble of packing & bringing the bike to the foreign places. Busted leaky shock/fork at the destination would ruin the whole "bike trip" thing.

IIRC, cabin pressure is about 60% of sea level. Let's say it is half for the simplicity of the discussion. If my shock is holding the 150 psi air in at the sea-level, when the cabin pressure drops to half, it would be like an sea-level equivalent of holding in 300 psi air!!!

I believe deflating the tires is an airline policy, I've been asked that at the check-in a few times.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Astroboy said:
IIRC, cabin pressure is about 60% of sea level. Let's say it is half for the simplicity of the discussion. If my shock is holding the 150 psi air in at the sea-level, when the cabin pressure drops to half, it would be like an sea-level equivalent of holding in 300 psi air!!!

I believe deflating the tires is an airline policy, I've been asked that at the check-in a few times.
As I said before, the most it can increase is 14.7psi. If your tires were aired up to 25psi at sea level then in outer space the tire pressure would be 25+14.7 = 39.7psi.
This is because the atmospheric pressure is no longer pressing on the outer casing. So, a shock that is 150psi at sea level would be 167.4psi in a vacuum (outer space is considered a vacuum because there is virtually no atoms between the large bodies).
An Astroboy needs to know these things :thumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh, I see. My science was distracted by the images such as inflated bags of potato chips at a Colorado ski resort, or a crushed plastic water bottle after the landing.

I appreciate being corrected.
Thank you.

To you I bow, Prophet.
:)

·
Red Rider
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas. Keep 'em coming if you have anymore travel or packing experiences.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Here is the a few pics of the XL Rush (1170mm wheelbase w/PBR) in the Bike Pro case.
I bought a full size bed foam cushion to seperate the wheels from the bike. The front wheel is underneath the bike between the foam that comes with the case and the bed foam.
An XL Prophet (1180mm wheelbase) should be able to barely fit with the Lefty Max attached.

Notice how I attached the Lefty to the aluminum frame that comes with the case. the bolt is a 10 X 1 mm that is 40mm long. I had to modify the frame to make it fit such a large bike but it wasn't much trouble.
I tightened the seat up against the foam at the top so that the bike would not shift at all during its travel.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts