Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting with tires (as usual). The Pack came with a Minion DH 2.6 in back and I rode that for a while, but then went back to my standard Nokian Dual 2.3. EndoRando sent me some Kinetic 2.6 Stick E to try so I had those on the Pack for a while as well as my Nevegal 2.35 Stick Es.

The Pack just seemed so sluggish and a bear to climb my local mountain with. I was reaching for the Spot more and more since it descends similarly well, but is just so much more sprightly feeling. It seemed like the Pack just demanded huge rubber, and I went with that notion.

Well, I took the rear Kinetic (897g) off and put the Minion (1297g) on thinking it was the stick e rubber. Partially. I put the Nokian (871g) on and the bike veritably flies up hills now. Wow what a difference. I have a Geax Blade 2.25 on today. That is a VERY fast tire, but it does not hook up like some others.

Anyway, don't bog yourself down unnecessarily, boys (and girls).

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Neve's aren't too terribly slow in back, they just don't hook up for me with the ramped knobs. I put the hammer down on some stuff and the back cuts loose like I'm on ball bearings. I love the compound on dry stuff, and it seems to do well in a lot of wet conditions, but just not as well as in the front. The Blade worked well today but it's pretty dry out and not very challenging for a tire presently. The Nokian is still the sh!t in the rear (no pun intended). I have a Mobster 60a 2.35 I may toss in back since I have it. The Spot is running the Sturdy 2.25 in back right now and that is doing well since it isn't too wet out.

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
same here

When I built my Spot up I had a 2.5 BG in front and a 2.35Nev rear. They gripped really well to anything and looking down at that huge front tire in the Duc 32 really gives you confidence on the trail. But they did feel slow on a climb. I swapped them for a 2.25 IRC Trail bear and 2.0 Python...... wow its like a new bike, so fast on the climbs and accelerates so much better.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I believe that the DTC Kenda's are available (Squeak - Larry???) in the 2.35 sizes which should help in the sluggishness dept.

Last summer I rode a 2.5 Blue Groove up front and a 2.35 BG in the back and really liked it for the drier summer months and did not experience ant sluggishness ( I was on 2.35/2.5 Maxxis Slow Reezay tires). During the winter I rode 2.35 nevs front and rear and never had any slippage issues - my front one was on backwards too:eek:

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
I hear ya too, I've always liked a smaller 2.1-2.2 tire on the rear cause it helps on the climbs and as long as you have a nice fat tire on the front you can still rip on the descents.

·
Bodhisattva
10,845 Posts
SSINGA said:
I believe that the DTC Kenda's are available (Squeak - Larry???) in the 2.35 sizes which should help in the sluggishness dept.
Yup. DTC 2.35 available in both BG & Nev.
DTC 2.1 available in BG. 2.1 DTC Nevs to be released shortly.

The stick-e rubber definitely does not roll as fast as standard compound and it sucks on the road but I think it's well worth it on the trail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.