Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
twinkie
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some crappy, poorly lit photos of my recently finished 'Pack. Hopefully the sun will shine tomorrow and we'll see what she's made of. I will try and post some better photos tomorrow. My last few bikes were all blacked out, so I tried to go opposite this time. I think it turned out nice.

·
twinkie
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whoops, I thought I knew how to post photos. They are in the Trailbike gallery. I just copied and pasted the link using the "upload photos" icon. Any suggestions for a nOOb?

·
twinkie
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Build List is as follows:
Small pack
Fox 36 RC2
King Headset
X-9 Shifters/F & R Derrs
Race Face X-type Cranks
Hope Hubs/Rhyno Lite Rims
Thomson Post and Stem (still waiting on stem)
WTB Pure V saddle
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front and rear. Stan's Tubeless Conversion
Big Earl H'bar (may swap it for Easton Carbon though)
XT cassette
33.1 pounds of love.
I'll check back with a ride report soon!!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
That is very cool. You really have to fight the Johnny Cash look of all black components these days. I went all-silver on my silver Spot (depending on wheelset) and personally love the look (even got the Z1 SL cause it was silver) and also love the fact that rubs and dings don't show up at all. It's damn hard to find silver rims these days though.

Very elegant ride. Too bad about the Chocolate Chunder.

·
twinkie
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, the Chocolate Chunder is a skid mark on the color scheme, but some things just have to be done. I would not have wanted any other fork for this bike. After today's ride, that fork could be neon pink. It would still be there. Then again I am coming off a Minute 2. So this thing is the bees knees. My last three bikes were all blacked out so I figured why not go straight silver. I used rhyno lites, much to my chagrin, but Stan's makes a rim strip just for this rim so I figured tubeless, polished and big enough to mount any tire I wanted was a good combo. I got nothing but love for the 'Pack. coming off a 5-spot it is exactly what I was looking for. Now when I get my Flux built, the stable will be complete......until next year :D

·
Lookin for that extra can
214 Posts
Schweeet Man! Nice, original look to what is becoming the standard white 'n' black.

What are your thoughts/reasons for replacing the spot with the pack?

--rip

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Nice ride, even with the Chocolate Chunder! :p

Glad to see I won't be the only one with the Deus cranks on a Pack! I went for the black ones!

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
SSINGA said:
Nice ride, even with the Chocolate Chunder! :p

Glad to see I won't be the only one with the Deus cranks on a Pack! I went for the black ones!
Funny you should mention that.
Atlas v. Deus was one of the harder decisions I made. At 160# and TR style I figured the weight savings of the Deus was worthwhile & that I wouldn't have problems. Was convinced to get the Atlas. I don't regret the decision since it the Atlas provides some peace of mind. But I am surprsied that you're going with the Deus given your weight & described riding style.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Funny you should mention that.
Atlas v. Deus was one of the harder decisions I made. At 160# and TR style I figured the weight savings of the Deus was worthwhile & that I wouldn't have problems. Was convinced to get the Atlas. I don't regret the decision since it the Atlas provides some peace of mind. But I am surprsied that you're going with the Deus given your weight & described riding style.
My decision went as follows:

XT 865g - served me well in the past

Deus 839g - not much lighter, lifetime warranty & more bling!

Atlas 955g - more than I need.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
Gotcha. My thought process was quite similar. I almost went with the older XT octalink which have been problem free for 3 years on my Hammerhead. The newer XT has a wider q-angle than the RF which concerns me.

I guess I'll just have to make up that 1/4 pound elsewhere :)

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
SSINGA said:
Deus 839g - not much lighter, lifetime warranty & more bling!

Atlas 955g - more than I need.
I don't see how the Atlas is "more than you need" on a 6" / 6" travel bike designed for freeriding.

The Atlas is the Turbine LP beefed to resist flex.

The Deus is the Turbine LP lightened for weight reasons, flex considerations are off the chart because you can't have it that light AND stiff.

I think if you asked the folks at Race Face about using the Deus for freeride, they'd probably laugh at you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.