Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hooligan
992 Posts
i like the alien 3, i had the 2 for years, and when my cammelbak was stolen i replaced it with the 3. it's essentially the same, but with some updated tools for modern bikes. it hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I do pack the crank bros bike tool also...

But I don't know of any bike multi tools that have a knife and pliers... alien 3 included.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,408 Posts
I don't think I'd want my rear to break.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like 2.1 oz weight but still need a few allen wrenches
I have yet to see a multi-tool that has all of below :
1) pliers
2) knife
3) chain tool
4) allens
5) bottle opener.

The point of this thread was for the "plier" leatherman type multi-tool. Not the bike multi-tool. I carry the crank bros, and this squirt.

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
I've been carrying a Leatherman juice c2 for 10 years. Also carry a Crank Brothers multi tool and a Spyderco Delica knife. There is no substitute for a quality sharp knife.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$hit... forgot about the corkscrew.... 2007 Shiraz is a must on those 50 mile rides...

But seriously the juice is a nice tool.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No need for a beer bottle opener if you roll with SPD pedals. Those things are awesome bottle openers.
actually, I discovered that for the first time like 2 weeks ago... and I have been riding spd pedals since like 1994... go figure... heck I drink mostly pbr and fosters oil cans anyway...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,408 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,408 Posts
For me the Leatherman is an additional item to carry along with a multitool, not a replacement. I use and love the Crank Bros M19 and the Leatherman Squirt.
Yep. I've used the leatherman juice to do some pretty neat stuff, pry off jammed cranks that some poor soul on a rental got stuck with mid-ride miles from anywhere, preload cranks on the trail without the shimano trail, they are usually infinitely better than any bicycle-tool when using the screwdriver function, etc. I take this with me on all rides.

That said, I agree completely, it's in no way a replacement for a proper bicycle multi-tool. If you can only take one, the toppeak aliens are outstanding tools. Some more minimal designs do fairly well and just include the most common stuff you'll need, some people may not go out far enough to have to worry about the more rare breakages, etc. I was recently lucky enough to get hit by a car last November and finally lose my crank brother's rust-o-matic-17 russian-submarine grade iron tool that doesn't push chain pins out far enough to re-insert a shimano pin-tool, so I got a nice lyzene that is compact and doesn't seem like it will suffer from the same issues.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,408 Posts
noob.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts