Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to get some opinions for different rear tire options for riding in the Pacific Northwest. I live in North Vancouver and ride here, Squamish and very occasionally in Whistler. I don't ride park.

I have a Santa Cruz Hightower LT with 32 mm wide carbon rims. I'm currently running the standard DHF / DHR2. I've run this combo for the last four years (previous bike was a Nomad). I've always been very happy with the combination. I will run continue to run this combination for late fall - early spring riding when it's wetter.

I'd like to try out something a bit lighter and faster rolling for the summer. I want to stay with Maxxis tires. I'm considering the following tires, all in 2.4 or 2.5" WT casing.

1. Rekon
2. Aggressor
3. Highroller II

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Rekon. I've heard that the Aggressor is pretty slow rolling despite it's tread design. I've also heard that the HR2 is not really any faster than the DHR2. The Rekon seems to be well-reviewed.

Any thoughts and comments would be great. Thanks.

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,250 Posts
Never tried the Rekon, but the Aggressor's worked great for me as a drier condition tire down here in WA (and it's been up your way a bunch too). I've used them two summer seasons and it's my go-to now. Tried out the exo casing first, but without cushcore, etc. they're not quite stiff enough for my taste, especially in the rocks. The DD's been great -- still rolls great even with the added weight. I'm currently on the DD 27.5x2.5WT without an insert on a Weareone Agent rim (30mm ID). The bike's a carbon warden.

I've also run the hrII a lot, and I agree that it's not a lot faster rolling than the dhr2. The hr always feels a little too square to me -- i.e., the transition to the side knobs when you lean it over is kind of abrupt.

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,250 Posts
Bit of an update after a trip up your way, cmrocks. Aggressor was great on the slabs in Squamish; but like riding a roadie slick on Khyber/Kashmir at Whistler where it still hadn't dried out. Terrifying! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Rekon is super loose in gravel loose of hard. Basically no rear grip at all. Seems to work really well as a "hero dirt tire"

I replaced it (2.4 Rekon DC) after two rides with a 2.3 Aggressor and I have been very happy with it. It does not feel any slower rolling (got my second fastest time on a 35 min climb) and the grip is head and shoulders above the Rekon.

My Rekon feed back is really only valid on super hard packed trails or loose gravel over hard. I have tried it in a few different situations and just never liked it. I would still choose the Aggressor over it every day though.

Casing on the 2.3 has stretched to 2.4 and the knobs are at 2.35 on a 30mm rim.

·
Registered
168 Posts
IMO you're running the crème de la crème for PNW. The Aggressor doesn't really roll much better if any better than an DHR2, and certainly doesn't corner/brake as well. The HR2 is more of an intermediate/wet tire and certainly doesn't roll as well as either of the latter.

I'd be really interested to see if they produce that tire Brosnan was testing out at Leogang. Looks like it would be a killer rear option.

Spotted: Prototype Maxxis Downhill Tire - Leogang DH World Cup 2019

The SS will definitely roll better but may or may not work for you. I haven't tried it yet but I have run Rock razors with success previously.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,781 Posts
The High Roller II is not a tire I would choose for lower rolling resistance: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/s...-nobby-nic-high-roller-ii-neo-moto-hans-dampf

FWIW, the High Roller seems to roll decently well for desert riding, but not in the PNW.

The Aggressor does not seem to roll much faster if at all than the DH-R which seems to roll surprisingly fast to me.

I know you want to stick with an all-Maxxis setup, but the fastest rolling tire with full knobs is the Schwalbe Nobby Nic. It definitely does not corner or brake as well as the DH-R as a rear tire, but I personally am ok with a looser handling rear tire. Some info on the Nobby Nic vs the DH-R as rear tires: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/s...hans-dampfnobby-nic-dh-fdh-r-butcherpurgatory

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.