Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am intrested in some feedback on the Pacer. I'd like to build one this spring with Ultegra and Shimano's new compact crank.

As for the 650B stuff, QBP is partnering with Rivendell to produce a 650B frame, so all the 650B stuff will be in stock at QBP in the coming months.

Todd Guess
Columbia, Missouri

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yoursisterscar said:
I too am intrested in some feedback on the Pacer. I'd like to build one this spring with Ultegra and Shimano's new compact crank.

As for the 650B stuff, QBP is partnering with Rivendell to produce a 650B frame, so all the 650B stuff will be in stock at QBP in the coming months.

Todd Guess
Columbia, Missouri
Here's a picture of a 42cm Surly. Not mine someone else's.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/82565251/82566610HjObjk

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I have the 60cm baby-blue Pacer. I was sick of my flexy light TCR, and build this one up with simple parts and some deals I scored. Set it up with a Singleator, and always rode it like that, forst a bit for commuting, on 28mm tires, and later for crits (56x17), also on 28's. Love the frame, and the Salsa Bell Lap handlebars I put on it.
Ever size road bike has different geometry, but my 60 feels good. Efficient. Friendly rather than harsh, especially with the thicker-than-for-some-reason-become-standard tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is my Pacer with this build:

# Shimano Ultegra 9 speed triple components
# 170mm 30/42/52 Crankset
# 12-27 Cassette
# Ritchey Pro Road Stem 9cm
# Salsa Poco Bar 40cm
# Mavic Open Pro 32 hole Rims
# Conti GP 3000 23c
# Thompson Elite seatpost
# WTB Rocket V Ti Saddle

·
Registered
45 Posts
The pacer is a great do it all road bike. I love mine, it just rides and handles great. Its a fun bike to put a lot of miles on, and you cant beat the price.

·
Registered
113 Posts
how heavy?

How heavy are you guys that are riding the Pacer's? I need a road racing bike. I'm thinking about building a Pacer up with 10sp Shimano, but I'm concerned that the frame might be too flexy for my 205 lbs, under full stomp. BTW, I now have a Cross Check build up with Shimano 105, and the bottom braket flexes somewhat under hard acceleration, but it's tolerable. But the Cross Check has a beefier tubeset, so I can only imagine the Pacer will flex too much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 5' 6" at 180 pounds and I have not noticed the pacer to flex in the bottom bracket at hard acceleration. My pacer is built up with full ultegra inlucding the BB. The pacer frameset is at around 7.5 lbs and you are at 205 I dont think it will flex that much. Its cromo one of the hardest steels. I was thinking of bulding up a steamroller as my next project.

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
I'm the same size as you and was wondering...

sshakari said:
I am 5' 6" at 180 pounds and I have not noticed the pacer to flex in the bottom bracket at hard acceleration. My pacer is built up with full ultegra inlucding the BB. The pacer frameset is at around 7.5 lbs and you are at 205 I dont think it will flex that much. Its cromo one of the hardest steels. I was thinking of bulding up a steamroller as my next project.
Same height and a couple of extra pounds on you. I have a cross check and, for the life of me, can't remember what size I ordered back when I bought it. (Guess I have to get out the tape and measure.)

Wondering what size your Pacer is. I've been doing searches as I may build one up. So, I know that this thread is a little old, but am requesting your help anyway.

Hoping to hear from you.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am also looking at the Pacer. I want a bike to ride on the local 20+ mile bike paths (pretty smooth pavement), pull my son in the trailer, and also ride a road ride once in a while. Am I looking at the right frame? I am also thinking of single speeding it for a bit too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pacer Build

I have taken your guys advice and am going to keep my 26" steel mtb w/ slicks and use it for the trailer puller/ biketrail bike. I still want a Pacer for a road bike.

My question is for build. I can get the frame for a little less than 400. My budget for the build is going to be between 1000 and 1200 for the build including frame. Should I go with Ultegra drive train and skimp on wheelset, cockpit? Ultegra ders, crank and BB are around 400. That leaves me 400 for the remaing. I have seatpost and seat. Any comments or suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Duckin' Fonuts.
297 Posts
I'd go with 105 crank, and BB, or FSA Gossamer mega, 105 FD Ultegra rear, I like down tube and barend shifters, but Ultegra STI stuff is only a few bucks over 105 at the levers. Salsa bars and stems are budget friendly and work great, get a Cane Creek S2 or S3, Tiagra calipers, and build some wheels, Ultegra hubs and Salsa Delgado X rims would be my choice on the Pacer, they are more touring, heavy duty but not too heavy, make a nice round tire profile on 28c to 32c tires which I like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pacer Update

I recently re-configured my Pacer for commuting duty. It looks sharp and will be my rain or shine fixie commuter:

By the way, if you have a 58cm Pacer, 44x16 and 46x18 give you perfect chain tension for a fixed gear.

·
Registered
385 Posts
new 56cm Pacer

It has a mix of Shimano 9spd components
105 brakes
Ultegra derailers
Ultegra double cranks
Ultegra 12-27 cassette
DuraAce shifters
Velomax Circuit wheels
Easton EC70 bars
Uber-badass urban assault Cinelli grip tape
Unknown model Fuji seat
Crown Royal seat bag

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
What size frame would you guys recommend for someone 5'8" with a 30" inseam? I am looking for something a little more laid back than my 73deg/74deg KHS.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts