Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE BELOW INFORMATION WAS TAKEN FROM THE PACE WEBSITE

Yeah OK, all you 29incher guys can stop hasseling us now to produce a 29” version of our RC31. Take the amazingly svelte weight of the RC29 and its ability to loft over obstacles at will, and combine it with the increased ability of 29inch wheels to roll over obstacles, to create an unbeatable package.

We’ve tuned the construction of the RC29 so that it has all the proven features of the RC31-shock absorbancy, strength and feather weight, combined with 29” geometry and load requirements. The RC29 is equipped with magnesium IS disc ready dropouts equipped with security tabs. Simple, sturdy and exceptionally cool the RC29 has no rival in performance or weight.

SPECIFICATION

Featherweight fixed blade design for 29” dedicated singlespeed and cross-country bikes

Hollowform carbon fibre composite legs provide unequalled compliance and strength

Cold Forged and cnc machined 7075T6 Monobox oval arm crown

Magnesium safety dropouts with IS std disc-brake mounts (max disc diameter 185mm)

Weight 785g

Length 465mm length

Hinged design CNC machined V-brake mounts available as an optional extra. See accessories section elsewhere on this site.

Not available with 1” steerer tube.

NOTE; rider weight restriction on this product of 15 stones/210lbs/92kg

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
edouble said:
that leaves me out. oh well ill have to make do with my WB's ;) .
Despite all that crap at the begining about its ability to loft over obstacles at will, I think this fork was designed as an XC fork hence the rider wieght restrictions.

I think it would look mint on my Rig and I really do want one but I'm not sure I can justify spending that much money on a rigid fok.

·
528 Posts
price

What is the price of one of these?
LIMEY said:
Despite all that crap at the begining about its ability to loft over obstacles at will, I think this fork was designed as an XC fork hence the rider wieght restrictions.

I think it would look mint on my Rig and I really do want one but I'm not sure I can justify spending that much money on a rigid fok.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
what, big guy's dont ride xc?. thats all i ride, xc and in the woods. there's very little consideration for the bigger guy's by mtbk equipment manufacturers.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Why? You can just use the KM fork which is cheap and perfectly comfortable for bigger riders. For small riders it's just rock hard. Stuff that's otherwise overbuilt is perfectly weighed to you guys! But true, for long only the KM was an easy option in 29" land.

·
minister of chaos
312 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Why? You can just use the KM fork which is cheap and perfectly comfortable for bigger riders. For small riders it's just rock hard. Stuff that's otherwise overbuilt is perfectly weighed to you guys! But true, for long only the KM was an easy option in 29" land.
The KM fork is perfectly comfortable for no man woman or child. It's affordable, and you can use it to attach you front wheel and brake to your bike, but it is not comfortable. I'm a touch over 250 and that thing is ridiculously rigid. I'll probably get a Pace without regard to the weight limit. I'm a smooth rider, so I'm not concerned.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Frank Tuesday said:
The KM fork is perfectly comfortable for no man woman or child. It's affordable, and you can use it to attach you front wheel and brake to your bike, but it is not comfortable. I'm a touch over 250 and that thing is ridiculously rigid. I'll probably get a Pace without regard to the weight limit. I'm a smooth rider, so I'm not concerned.
If you are a smooth rider why do you need a more compliant fork?

I was surprised at how un-harsh the KM fork was, after all the complaining that goes on 'round here. MUCH better than the Instigator fork.

·
528 Posts
carbon fork

When I first tried an KM fork, I didn't think it was too bad but then I compared it ride to ride with a carbon fork and it was night and day. The carbon fork was so nice.
Frank Tuesday said:

·
minister of chaos
312 Posts
TheSingleGuy said:
If you are a smooth rider why do you need a more compliant fork?

I was surprised at how un-harsh the KM fork was, after all the complaining that goes on 'round here. MUCH better than the Instigator fork.
I don't need an more compliant fork, I want it, and I don't really see a connection with my riding smoothly and not needing a more compliant fork. Even riding smoothly, a rigid fork will subject you body to a lot of small impacts from variance in the trail tread.

Maybe I find the KM fork really harsh because the last rigid fork a I rode was a Pace RC31. There really is no going back. I worry about how harsh the Redline fork will be. The 26" fork was an absolute monster. It was as stiff as an overbuilt BMX racing fork.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The 26" Monocog fork has a claimed 1.2" of offset. The 29" version is both longer and has more offset, giving the rider weight, through the headtube, more leverage to get it to flex. Take it to the extreme, imagine one bike with a 4" long fork with zero offset, stuck to a shopping card wheel. The 474mm fork with 39mm offset will be much smoother. Still, I don't have an illusion it will be softer than the KM though. Maybe the first upgrade for a Monocog is a wide Ti handlebar. Does the trick for me on the KM!

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Frank Tuesday said:
I don't need an more compliant fork, I want it, and I don't really see a connection with my riding smoothly and not needing a more compliant fork. Even riding smoothly, a rigid fork will subject you body to a lot of small impacts from variance in the trail tread.

Maybe I find the KM fork really harsh because the last rigid fork a I rode was a Pace RC31. There really is no going back. I worry about how harsh the Redline fork will be. The 26" fork was an absolute monster. It was as stiff as an overbuilt BMX racing fork.
Fairy Nuff. My thought is that the small stuff is no problem to cope with, the place that I find rigid sucks is something like multiple tree roots where you just can't finesse it, or it is just impossible to be smooth. I don't see any rigid fork being much different in that kind of scenario, but I am probably wrong.

Maybe I want to believe that there'll be no difference so can avoid being tempted to buy a $400 rigid fork! :D

I came from the Instigator, you came from super-bling land, no wonder we have different impressions on the KM fork. It's all relative (damn that Einstein :mad: ).

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
Sexy Fork

I would purchase that fork for a number of reasons:
1. Damn Sexy fork I mean it is nice
2. To give me motivation to keep my weight below 210 lbs
However, there is also the whole "do I need a crazy light carbon fork" question
I mean my 29er wheels are built pretty beefy in hopes to keep them in true. Other than that though my bike is pretty light Kona Unit 29, BB5s fr5's carbon bar and ends, thompson stem and post, king ss cog so maybe the weight drop from my currenlt Marathon SL to the Pace would be something nice

·
528 Posts
weight

Not only is the pace a nice looking fork but in place of a Marathon SL you would drop a noticeable amount of weight.
By the way does anyone know how much the new Bontrager Switchblade Carbon fork will weigh? I know the prototypes were heavy.

centerridgerider said:
I would purchase that fork for a number of reasons:
1. Damn Sexy fork I mean it is nice
2. To give me motivation to keep my weight below 210 lbs
However, there is also the whole "do I need a crazy light carbon fork" question
I mean my 29er wheels are built pretty beefy in hopes to keep them in true. Other than that though my bike is pretty light Kona Unit 29, BB5s fr5's carbon bar and ends, thompson stem and post, king ss cog so maybe the weight drop from my currenlt Marathon SL to the Pace would be something nice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.