Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone run these forks on a 575? If so, any opinions? I just put the AM1 on RRB's 575 and after my experience of riding it this morning, I think there is a good chance I may not get it back... :thumbsup:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,808 Posts
nice to know th AM has found a home :D

I remember goog and egika had RC41 Fighters.. but not sure if I have seen the 40s on 575s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Pace forks seem to be the flavour of the month for some reason, particularly in the US (carbon would be the major factor I suspect). Here in the UK they have a less than stella reputation for reliability, not achieving full travel and poor customer service. Thats saying something considering they are/were a UK company. Things may change now under the DT ownership, but I wouldn't bolt one to my frame. There are better performing forks available for less money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I've had 20mm 41 fighters on my 575 since crimbo and have been very pleased with the performance so far. Straight out of the box they were easy to set up and super smooth, the launch control is a great piece of kit too ! (none of this stopping to wind down/up the fork travel for climbs n descents) :cool:

however as Nyquist said they are expensive and there have been some reliability issues in the past which has pissed off alot of the buyers in the UK who have swore they'll never touch Pace forks again !!! .... but like all shox manufacturers theres good n bad (fox, manipoo, marz, RS all have had problems from time to time .... fingers crossed my fighters hold out :D

great forks IME !

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
goog said:
I've had 20mm 41 fighters on my 575 since crimbo and have been very pleased with the performance so far. Straight out of the box they were easy to set up and super smooth, the launch control is a great piece of kit too ! (none of this stopping to wind down/up the fork travel for climbs n descents) :cool:

however as Nyquist said they are expensive and there have been some reliability issues in the past which has pissed off alot of the buyers in the UK who have swore they'll never touch Pace forks again !!! .... but like all shox manufacturers theres good n bad (fox, manipoo, marz, RS all have had problems from time to time .... fingers crossed my fighters hold out :D

great forks IME !

thanks goog-nyquist-crisillo. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of information online about the Pace to go by with the Fighters but I've been offered one for 50% MSRP which makes it mighty tempting (and maybe easy to sell without a loss if I'm not impressed). Alternatively, I can hold out for a Lyrik (or steal RRB's AM1 and put it back on my bike while she's at work)...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,808 Posts
flipnidaho said:
thanks goog-nyquist-crisillo. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of information online about the Pace to go by with the Fighters but I've been offered one for 50% MSRP which makes it mighty tempting (and maybe easy to sell without a loss if I'm not impressed). Alternatively, I can hold out for a Lyrik (or steal RRB's AM1 and put it back on my bike while she's at work)...
I think you better start looking for an alternative.... RRB might kick your butt if you take it off her bike now :p
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,808 Posts
one detail, Gary.... doesn't the front brake line get caught between the arch and crown at full compression?? (no idea, just asking)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I had an AllMountain I (the sand colored one) at first, then switched to the Pace RC41 Fighter and now ended up with an ordinary Pike Team.

Behind the Story:
The AM1 was perfect in Terms of smoothness, travel and function.
I switched to the Pace just to save weight. I found out that the lower height of the Pace made my bike much easier to handle. I think the AM1 was just a little to high for my riding style (mostly narrow single tracks).

The Pace was very nice in every respect. All worked very well and it IS indeed very light.
But together with the Crossmax Enduros the whole front of the bike was quite soft. I didn't find out wether it was the forks or the wheels fault. But I went an a trip to the alps with a borrowed Nixon and found that I had to have a through axle :)
The Nixon was super stiff, but dived easily way to much just by breaking or going steep..

So I made a bargain when I got a Pike Team for just 160,-€
It has the Maxle, works as smooth as the Marz or Pace and together with my new front wheel is super stiff and controlable.
That makes a lot difference for me so I might be interested in the 20mm through axle version of the Pace. But since it is much more expensive and doesn't feature the Maxle with it's easy handling, I think I stay with the Pike even if it's not the lightest.

So far for my fork story :)
Currently I'm looking for a nice fork for my new ARC... I might go for a Reba.. Or wait for the newly announced Magura Durin :)

Have a nice day,
Martin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crisillo said:
one detail, Gary.... doesn't the front brake line get caught between the arch and crown at full compression?? (no idea, just asking)
There is actually a hydro cable behind the right leg so i zipped the hose to it so when it compresses the cable moves out of the way with the lower leg. I actually like the Fox cable guide a bit better...
G
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,808 Posts
flipnidaho said:
There is actually a hydro cable behind the right leg so i zipped the hose to it so when it compresses the cable moves out of the way with the lower leg. I actually like the Fox cable guide a bit better...
G
yeah that line guide on the AM forks works best for moto style routing (front brake on the right lever)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Pace Fighter 41

FlipinIdaho....I run the Pace 41 here in Boise on my Nomad. I love the thing! Better than the Fox 36 by a mile. The Fox was just too heavy for me at 160lbs and climbing 3000 vertical feet out the door on most rides. I also think the Pace is smoother....which is something because the Fox 36 is pretty impressive. I would get a 20mm axle if I weighted over 185 lbs and was extremely fast on downhills.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top